ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > Et Cetera
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-31-2007, 12:43 PM   #76
Marcus Bales

Location: In a coign of the cliff between lowland and highland, at the sea-down's edge between windward and lee, walled round with rocks as an inland island, the ghost of a garden fronts the sea.
Hey we're getting off the subject here of Brightpearl's body parts!
Old 07-31-2007, 12:58 PM   #77
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

brightpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:02 PM   #78
Dorkahontas
monkey

brightpearl, I have two tattoos and will soon be getting a third. The first two I got 12 years ago, and as Auntie said, the lines are getting a bit less clean, but I love them both and don't regret getting either of them. I designed them myself and asked the artist to tweak the designs as he saw fit. Both have tremendous personal significance to me and both are in spots that don't show unless I want them to (my right shoulderblade and my left hip).
I have also toyed with the idea of getting grape tattoo, so that when I'm old and wrinkled it'll be a raisin. Bwa ha.
Dorkahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:21 PM   #79
Anna
n

I have a whole list of reasons why I never had the desire to get a tattoo and I still don't get why people like them or would want one. Anyone want to fill me in?
Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:26 PM   #80
Marcus Bales

Location: In a coign of the cliff between lowland and highland, at the sea-down's edge between windward and lee, walled round with rocks as an inland island, the ghost of a garden fronts the sea.
In my limited experience with people who get them, it seems to be two primary reasons: control over one's own body, usually because the individual finds him- or herself in circumstances where most of the control of life is in someone else's hands; or they got drunk. I know one person who got a small corporate logo on his calf on a bet with his boss that he wouldn't do it, and he got a substantial bonus.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:34 PM   #81
Anna
n

I've always associated tattoos with military service or the holocaust, then cher came along. I think my lack of desire for one is because it is permanent, unlike jewelry. I suppose it must become like a pet or some new organ or limb?
Old 07-31-2007, 01:41 PM   #82
auntie aubrey
excursions

i've never gotten one because i know too many people who fall out of love with theirs as time goes by. there's nothing worse than someone describing a piece of art they voluntarily permanently etched on their body in disappointed words. "yeah, i got this sun on my ankle a few years ago... i don't know, it's pretty much what i wanted but i'm not really in love with it anymore. i wish i'd done sometihng a little different."

i have enough disappointing body parts via the gift of nature. i don't need to add one more less-than-satisfying detail to my physique.

oh, and also i've found that most people i know who get one become compelled to get another... and another... and another... and another. i know very few people who get one and then never think about the process again. most people get one and they remember the rush of the pain and they want to go through it again. or the artwork comes out ALMOST like they wanted it to, but not quite, so they go back for one that they sure will be more perfectly captured.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:45 PM   #83
Marcus Bales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I've always associated tattoos with military service or the holocaust, then cher came along. I think my lack of desire for one is because it is permanent, unlike jewelry. I suppose it must become like a pet or some new organ or limb?
Well, of course military service is a classic example of the individual not in control of his or her life circumstances. The holocaust tattoos designed to identify prisoners, like tattoos to identify where the radiation is aimed in a hospital, are neither one even in the same realm as what we're talking about regarding voluntarily getting a tattoo!
Old 07-31-2007, 01:48 PM   #84
Marcus Bales

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie aubrey View Post
... i've found that most people i know who get one become compelled to get another... and another... and another... and another. i know very few people who get one and then never think about the process again. most people get one and they remember the rush of the pain and they want to go through it again. or the artwork comes out ALMOST like they wanted it to, but not quite, so they go back for one that they sure will be more perfectly captured.

I suspect that if you examine a more whole perspective of the life of each of those people you're talking about, you'll find that, again, the tattoos constitute pretty clearly a control issue. Not quite perfect. Gotta get it right to exercise control over what one has control over even when one has very little control in one's life.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:57 PM   #85
lukkucairi
earth worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Bales View Post
In my limited experience with people who get them, it seems to be two primary reasons: control over one's own body, usually because the individual finds him- or herself in circumstances where most of the control of life is in someone else's hands; or they got drunk. I know one person who got a small corporate logo on his calf on a bet with his boss that he wouldn't do it, and he got a substantial bonus.
that's a good enough reason

mine is a focus point. I did it after a lot of pondering over it before I got it - a good 10 years or so.

so far I have never wanted another one. I'd feel as if I were diluting it somehow by making it share my body with another piece. I designed it myself, so that's probably part of it too. I don't want someone else's art on my body.
lukkucairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:01 PM   #86
lukkucairi
earth worker

Quote:
I suspect that if you examine a more whole perspective of the life of each of those people you're talking about, you'll find that, again, the tattoos constitute pretty clearly a control issue. Not quite perfect. Gotta get it right to exercise control over what one has control over even when one has very little control in one's life.
people with multiple tattoos often get them to commemorate things that happen in their lives - big changes, like death of a relative or birth of a baby or marriage, stuff like that.

I'd say that this is a kind of control issue - it's a sort of magical thinking. change is hard to deal with - we want to put handles on it somehow, make it less arbitrary feeling.

I fully acknowledge my tattoo was motivated by control issues

it wasn't to commemorate anything - it was a matter of self-definition, is the short answer. and a bit of magical thinking, too.
lukkucairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:11 PM   #87
Anna
n

Quote:
Well, of course military service is a classic example of the individual not in control of his or her life circumstances. The holocaust tattoos designed to identify prisoners, like tattoos to identify where the radiation is aimed in a hospital, are neither one even in the same realm as what we're talking about regarding voluntarily getting a tattoo!
I just said that's how I've always thought of them, not trying to read anything in to it in a big way. Anchors Away, Mom or a butterfly, sounds like someone loves something and wishes to profess it to the world. Forced tattooing seems akin to branding cattle. Regardless, it doesn't bother me that people get them or even why they get them. If you're correct about the control issues, well hey, everyone has issues.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:27 PM   #88
craig johnston
dalai clique

Location: tea leaf towers - home of fine musical entertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna View Post
then cher came along.
what more do you need?

please advise me:
who can you trust?

Old 07-31-2007, 02:42 PM   #89