ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > DEBATE HALL
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2006, 10:36 PM   #16
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

I like your answer, TruthSeeker. It's a good point to make that with the Bible, there is probably a fair bit lost in the translation(s), myriad as they have been in both literal and figurative senses. It's also true that it's still powerful and has some very good things to say along with the bad. The class went really well -- I didn't have to say anything to compromise myself, a lot of the kids already knew parts of the story, and well, they're all pretty great kids.

Well, Brynn, most of the kids were at the grade 2 or 3 level with only a few at grade 4 or 5 (we had 12 in total, it was a pretty full house for the summertime). I know most of them pretty well, from previous years, and I know enough of their parents well enough to know that not everyone there would want me to do anything much beyond indoctrinating. This is a very tolerant church -- they tolerate me, for instance -- but I'm not going to overstep my boundaries. Our own daughter got the unexpurgated version plus every thought her dad and I had about it, however.

Which brings me to the story of why I'm there. Our daughter's middle namesake was a woman of the sort that I call the True Believer -- an almost indescribably good person of Mennonite faith (the sprinklers, not the dunkers -- she married a dunker and I believe it was their only issue of argument throughout a long and happy marriage). I was given her Bible when she died suddenly, when our daughter was just a toddler. Every page was inscribed with her thoughts and reflections, some of which were quite wrenching. Reading them made me decide to honour her memory by doing what I could to explore theology (I'd long made a hobby of exploring philosophy, but had really neglected the Other Side of things) to see if doing so would make me anywhere near as integrity-filled as she had been -- and also I vowed to make sure our daughter knew something of the beliefs her great-grandmother held so dearly. We'd been married in a liberal Baptist church, so I started attending Bible study and services and taking her to Sunday school. Periodically I wonder if we should still be doing this -- usually at times when I don't have faith in anything other than my dog -- and make some effort at trying to halt this arrangement. But our daughter remains very stubborn about wanting to stay at this church. We deal with our own concerns about "indoctrination" by being very open about them. But she argues quite convincingly for her side of things, and she is a very decent little person, so it's not like I'm eager to remove any of her current influences. If nothing else, I want her to take out of this the understanding that people who hold to faith are not brainwashed or unthinking. The vast majority think about it an awful lot.

Oh yeah. And the short answer? If you've got a kid in Sunday school, you have to teach a summer session!

Last edited by trisherina : 08-13-2006 at 10:38 PM.
trisherina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:47 AM   #17
amanda
old s'cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx
The only journeys I wish to take in life are the ones that lead to goals I know I can reach.
I think that is the saddest idea I've ever read.
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 05:09 PM   #18
Brynn
constantly amazed

^ Doing what seems impossible is what God's all about.
I just heard a story this morning from Ray Johnston, who was bothered by the discrepancy in quality between the schools in the suburbs in his area, versus the inner-city schools. He decided that every single five-year-old in his area should have the same leg up as anyone else. So he convinced every pastor in his area to close the doors of their churches for one Sunday and brought them all together in the Arco Arena in the Bay Area for worship together. They took up a collection from thousands of people and managed to raise enough money for two public schools (who had nothing but black top for playgrounds) to get outfitted with massive, state-of-the-art playgrounds. The principal from one of the schools was skeptical that this was done with no strings attached - nobody does anything like that without an agenda. But that's exactly what happened.
They are going to continue to do this once a year.

Trish, that's a great story - a Bible from a person like that is such an incredible gift. Your "short answer" made me laugh out loud - been there!
I'm impressed with the way you are supporting your daughter in what she wants to do, and making sure she gets the whole picture as well. She sounds like a strong, confident young lady.
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 05:29 PM   #19
Frieda
in limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda
I think that is the saddest idea I've ever read.
but probably, a very honest answer.

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: