ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2008, 10:50 PM   #736
Odbe
hope dope

Today while working a weekend job at the local vet hospital, I saw a couple of men run in holding a large struggling animal wrapped in a pile of very bloody towels. The consult room isn't very big so I had to get out of the way and go elsewhere until it had been dealt with.

Later I found out that the animal was my neighbour's dog and it was dead. This dog was one that I knew very well. I had grown up playing with it - or perhaps playing wasn't the best word, as it was a somewhat territorial and bad-tempered animal. But I learned about dealing with aggression from it, and from mediating countless disputes between it and my dog.

I'm not really upset about it - my heart goes out to my neighbours and their children, but it wasn't a young dog or particularly friendly.
What did shock me was the realisation that it did actually mean something. I still imagine it sniffing around the nature strip out the front every time I visualise the street and I can't think of the neighbour's ute without the dog barking out of the back of it.
Sure, I didn't love the dog, but I thought of it as a part of life. It has always been there, it is always there, and I still expect it to be there. I only saw it as a bundle of towels and then as a body bag, so why shouldn't it be?

Strange to be so moved by something that affects my life so little.
Odbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:39 AM   #737
YsaPur EsChomuw
oi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odbe View Post
Strange to be so moved by something that affects my life so little.
Yes, I've fell like that several times, too. Repetitive experiences lull us into trustfulness that things will always be like that, until reality shocks us from our false beliefs.
YsaPur EsChomuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:06 AM   #738
lukkucairi
earth worker

I saw a terrible thing today

A mother duck leading her ducklings out onto the middle lane of the freeway. I passed them in the fast lane and there was nothing I could do - it all took place in a second and a half. In my rear view mirror I saw cars going every which way trying to avoid them

I'm sure the slaughter was total as far as the ducks were concerned. I wondered if any humans had been hurt as well.

I thought, sweet jesus, what a fwcked up species we are!
lukkucairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #739
auntie aubrey
excursions

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukkucairi View Post
I thought, sweet jesus, what a fwcked up species we are!
i don't follow. you said everyone was swerving to avoid them.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:23 PM   #740
lukkucairi
earth worker

It was the freeway-as-killing-field...the fwcked-uppedness that our civilization (out here at least) completely requires the existence of these horrible polluting structures that are bad enough in themselves, but that also kill millions of unlucky animals a year. It was the juxtaposition of the innocent/naive in the pointless slaughter zone, and the fact that we create so many pointless slaughter zones as a product of our culture. I don't let my heart bleed over every piece of roadkill I pass, but this was different, and very hard. We've created a system in which the arbitrariness of death is emphasized, and the "great cycle" aspect of death is minimized. That's what I got in those 1.5 seconds before the ducks got mauled.

I hate the automobile culture. I love to drive - there's nothing more fun - but cars are evil. That's the one thing I really do miss about living in a major city - the ability to exist successfully without owning a goddamn car.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:56 PM   #741
Coffee
Cheeses Save

I feel your pain. I have always felt that a compassionate species would build elevated freeways, or at least build them over large diameter concrete pipes spaced a few dozen yards apart that would allow creatures the option of going under the roads rather than over them. My heart always does bleed a little bit at every bit of road kill I pass...regardless of species.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:48 PM   #742
auntie aubrey
excursions

i feel like i've been beaten with a baseball bat. we started on painting and re-doing the flooring in our new living room and every square inch of me hurts.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:40 AM   #743
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

I feel a slight rise in Gross National Happiness.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:54 AM   #744
Jack Flanders
landscaping is fun

I feel glad to be alive. 1:30 this afternoon while driving home I stopped behind a car turning a slow left. I looked into my rear-view mirror out of habit and saw a car coming at me at about 50 mph. Yep - zip went my life before my eyes. I braced for the impact but it didn't come. The crazy bitch flew around me to my right, cut off another driver and then cut in front of me a few seconds later. I felt like pulling over and throwing up. Oh, and my back spazzed out from the tension.
Jack Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:43 PM   #745
Frieda
in limbo

^^^ careful, you may produce 2 karate kids with all this wax on-wax off business

^ ouch.. scary! glad you're alive!

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:21 AM   #746
auntie aubrey
excursions

I feel annoyed that I've been sitting in this doctor's office for an hour.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:21 PM   #747
lukkucairi
earth worker

I feel a sense of being bound to fate.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:28 PM   #748
Odbe
hope dope

Despair! My backspace key just came off with no provocation and it won't go back on. I can lose other keys, but not backspace - it's the one I use most often.
Odbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:38 PM   #749
Frieda
in limbo

^ the backspace is relatively easy-- do not remove your space bar though. it's fitted with some sort of hook clip system and will never clip back on. you will become a keyboard slammer

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:14 AM   #750
lukkucairi
earth worker

I feel itchy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: