chuckie egg
a peach

Wow!! I love them, you need to talk to Lapietra, she also makes jewellery

... and welcome, by the way!
chuckie egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 10:59 AM   #3
sparticle
Conspiracy Theorist

Thanks! I did -- Lapietra sent me a very nice welcoming message! I'm just so happy to find ze.com. It's becoming a real "home" for me online.

It all started with somebody sending me the "Impress Your Date" URL. I looked up the root URL, got hooked on "Build Your Own Kaleidoscope", decided that any guy who builds interactive kaleidoscopes probably runs a cool mesage board and found out I was right! So here I am.

Thanks for the kind words!
sparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 11:03 AM   #4
chuckie egg
a peach

WOO! haha, I found this place through the "when office supplies attack" competition, not such a nice story... ah well!
chuckie egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 11:09 AM   #5
sparticle
Conspiracy Theorist

LOL!

Like most cool stuff/friends/sites I've ever found, finding this place was a little exercise in "diligent serendipity" -- I had a hunch just from the crazy video that there had to be more funny/cool/smart stuff where that came from, hunted down the root URL, and lo and behold! an arts-oriented community!

You can find such cool stuff by doing a little secret agent work.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:00 AM   #6
ambo
feline, naturally

oh sparticle, those are lovely
i need to learn to work with wire !

i like weaving with seed beads myself

and right now, i'm into beaded beads

Old 03-30-2004, 04:06 AM   #7
sparticle
Conspiracy Theorist

Now, seed beads are something for which I so much wish I had the patience. They are so beautiful woven into patterns. Thanks for sharing those pieces; they're gorgeous. My eyes won't always let me do close work, either; 4mm beads are about the smallest I generally use. I have severe astigmatism and sometimes even trifocals won't let me focus as closely as I need to. Or the work looks great two inches from my nose and loses something in the translation.

Very nice work; thanks so much for showing it! Are those tiny tigereye rounds in with the seed beads on the first piece?
Old 03-30-2004, 04:13 AM   #8
ambo
feline, naturally

thank you thank you thank you

i believe those are picture jasper - that was a particularly difficult piece (3 layers) - and i broke 3 freakin needles doing it !
every time i wear it, people ask if i sell - i just laugh

my eyes are getting worse and worse
usually when i work with seed beads, i don't even use my corrective lenses and the work is six inches from my face

next, i am going to be doing beadpoint, with 15 o's - yikes !!!!
Old 03-30-2004, 04:23 AM   #9
sparticle
Conspiracy Theorist

15-0's! My God; you're brave!

I have a few pieces like your jasper necklace that I wouldn't sell unless I absolutely couldn't afford not to. After all that work, to sell it to a stranger? heh heh I've been warned I'll never make any money that way, but this isn't all about money.

And sometimes it works in my favor. Somebody will see something I don't want to part with and say, "How much?" and I will throw out some insane times-ten figure and the person will say: "That's fine. Can you make two?"

But more often, it just lets me hang on to my favorites without feeling too bad when they do find new homes.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:08 PM   #10
Audreyvgs
Blue's Clues

I went to a flea market in NYC and found like 40 strings of multicolored, multi patterned seed beads, they said they were like 80 yrs old...and I brought em home, took em out of the bag, freakin loved the colors, they are so tiny! Then I put em back in the bag, having absolutely no idea what to do with them. I have absolutely no desire to make anything with em, I just love all those colors! Besides, whatever I did would look like an indian bead thing, and I don't even wear jewelry. But god i love those beads!!!!

Well, maybe if I had a year, I could re-string all 40 and make the world's largest necklace..it would be impressive!
Audreyvgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 12:18 PM   #11
sparticle
Conspiracy Theorist

Quote:
Originally posted by Audreyvgs
Besides, whatever I did would look like an indian bead thing, and I don't even wear jewelry. But god i love those beads!!!!

Heh heh heh heh....

I have probably fifty pounds of brightly colored glass beads -- Czech, German, Japanese, Italian, Indian, African -- boxes and boxes and boxes of them -- and I have no idea what in God's name I will ever do with them. I work primarily with Swarovski crystal and semiprecious stones, but I absolutely love the way those beads look and feel in my hands. And I keep buying more! Sometimes I think the jewelry business is just a front for my glass bead addiction.

I have been building a little kinetic mobile out of copper wire and glass beads -- I don't know if I could ever sell it but it's fun to play with.

The world's longest bead necklace --- now THERE's an idea. We could string it from my house to yours!
Old 03-30-2004, 03:25 PM   #12
ambo
feline, naturally

well one can never have too many beads
it's a never ending tale of conquest
i buy beads, then go to string them, and nothing else i have is just right
so i buy more beads to go with the beads i have
and while i'm there......

you know how it goes

as far as selling goes, i just won't
tried that with my digital art and it suck'd the life out of me

my beading is either just for me, or it's a gift !
Old 03-30-2004, 03:31 PM   #13
sparticle
Conspiracy Theorist

Sometimes i wish I could do it that way -- just make what I like and never mind the rest. Unfortunately, I have a bead habit to support.

Really, it's more fun just playing, though. Some of my favorite pieces are probably never, ever going to sell:

but they are such fun to make and play with!
Old 03-30-2004, 03:33 PM   #14
ambo
feline, naturally

those would SO sell !
Old 03-30-2004, 03:37 PM   #15
sparticle
Conspiracy Theorist

I think it's a tactile thing. They've been on the website for months and nothing, but i'll bet if I try them at a show this fall they'll sell. They're "prettier in person".

For awhile I focussed more heavily on selling my stuff on Ebay, but I'm discovering that there's a preponderance of people who want stuff like 14K gold earrings for a dollar and not as many fans of eclectic design. I try not to pigeonhole people, but there you are. FleaBay is just not the venue for my more "out there" work.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: