Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > Et Cetera
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-14-2007, 01:42 AM   #16
Brynn
constantly amazed

^ not bad I like it!

(clears throat timidly)

I've been taught that in his teachings, Jesus almost always directs our attention away from himself and points our attention to the Father, and in the same way, the Holy Spirit always deflects attention from itself and points to Jesus.

Jesus also called it "the Comforter."

The "speaking in tongues" thing (some people call it their "prayer language" instead - I prefer that myself) happens after a concrete confession and conversion to Christ, followed by water baptism for some. After that, one asks God for "the baptism of the Holy Spirit" which invites the Holy Ghost's indwelling into the center of one's soul. Many Christians do not ask for this, which baffles me because it's really the thing that makes it all come alive, imo.
Along with a way to pray in a way that doesn't require words (because sometimes it's hard to fully articulate our heart's yearnings, and the freedom of speaking in tongues kind of bridges things) the Holy Ghost provides guidance and comfort and wisdom and strength to do the will of God, brings people to mind to pray for, inspires and basically nurtures along this "rebirth" of the soul that comes with conversion. It brings a heightened conscience, among other things. It's also really really easy to ignore because of its gentleness, and over time, if ignored completely, will just go away and not bother you any more.

It rarely happens to someone if they haven't specifically invited the Spirit to take up residence (I won't say never - life is large - I've just never heard of it happening). Unlike Satan, who compels against the will, the Spirit is polite, shy, and would never insist upon its own way. If you picture a gentle dove - well, it's a really apt illustration.

There's a lot more, but I really did resolve to keep it short Frankly, I'd rather go jump on the bed now....
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:57 AM   #17
Jack Flanders
landscaping is fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig johnston View Post
i've got a theory:

god = groucho
jesus = chico
holy ghost = harpo

am i getting warm?

money changer (keeper) = zeppo
Jack Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 02:06 AM   #18
Jack Flanders
landscaping is fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Bales View Post
Theological sophistication at an early age -- the entire theory of the trinity is full of holes, and the holy ghost is not the least of them.

Also, what kind of car did Jesus drive?

A Honda -- because in Acts, as Trish has shown, it says that the disciples were all in one Accord.

M
I was told it was a Jesus Chrysler.
Jack Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:04 AM   #19
auntie aubrey
excursions

FWEEEEET

Old 09-14-2007, 11:52 AM   #20
Coffee
Cheeses Save

My theory is that when the judeo islamic christian god got the idea that HE would be the only god, HE had to do Something with all the other gods. Of course you can't kill a god, not even GOD can do that...I mean talk about utter and total chaos if that were possible....which is why WE humans have always fought the wars for the gods (eliminate all the followers and you remove the power of their god if not the god itself). So, when he actually had enough followers/power derived from the support of the Jews, Muslims and Xtians to do it he chucked all the other gods into an almighty blender of sorts and discombobulated them. ..so they hung around kinda insubstantial like and got side work as this Holy Ghost thingy.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:32 PM   #21
Frieda
in limbo

^ i'm more of a believer in the Terry Pratchett god method-- i encounter the goddess Anoia very often actually.

http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Anoia

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: