ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 01:18 AM   #1921
lukkucairi
earth worker

question of the day ? for those still resolutely not watching the oscars (and in honor of trish and ratman):

what has been your worst air travel experience ever so far?
lukkucairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:53 AM   #1922
Jack Flanders
landscaping is fun

Well. I had a really funny story but realized that a great family had lost her life because of tragic plane crash last year. So - never mind.
Jack Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:14 AM   #1923
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Probably my third lesson, just practicing flying straight and level and doing coordinated turns, May or June and there was a wee storm visible off to the east. Mr. Zinger took this opportunity to explain about cumulonimbus and show me the nice anvil top while we flew closer and closer to it. Then he said, "You should give these a pretty wide berth, especially in the spring, because there can be wind shears quite a ways away," and he instructed me to turn and I did and then WHAP my head hit the canopy HARD and my hands left the yoke. He said the words that made my legs sweat, "I have control," and pointed out to me in a second quite cannily (because he was a little shaken himself) that we had dropped 500 feet in altitude in that one WHAP but gone out the other side and so once again I was very grateful for Mr. Zinger.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:17 AM   #1924
T.I.P.
balancing actor

^ very cool, i hope to fly near a cumulonimbus someday

my worst air travel experience happened on a new york paris flight next to an obnoxious canadian girl. The (delta) flight did not have personal movies behind each seat. Instead, the movies were played on these puny little screens above the aisle. This was bad enough, but the situation was made worse by the fact that the movie screen near my seat was playing the movie upside down.

nothing life threatening, but very annoying.
T.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:50 AM   #1925
Brynn
constantly amazed

My worst experience flying was bookended by my best experience coming back.
We were flying to Ecuador around Christmas one year to see my in-laws who were diplomatic attaches there. It just happened to be just as President Bush Sr. decided to bomb Panama.
We spent fourteen hours stranded in an airport halfway there until the all-clear. Then another twelve hours in the air to finally get there.
We were greeted by angry Ecuadorans chanting at the airport. who could blame them?
After a great month driving all over the Andes, it was time to go home. My mother-in-law gave us a few valium to 'help us get through the flight." After stupidly combining that with alcohol (hey, we were young and fearless) time just flew right by and before we knew it, somebody kindly poured us out onto the pavement when we landed. Magically, good friends somehow knew when we were arriving, glooped us into their car and drove us home.
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:06 AM   #1926
Frieda
in limbo

landing with a sudden great big bang on orlando airport-- flight attendants were screaming, the isle TVs broke off and fell down into the isle with electricity wires crackling out in the open, lights went out, the overhead lockers opened and my bf at the time was showered in sealed ear buds. good thing he didn't have the booze bottles over his head.

anyway, i found myself already climbing on top of the seat in front of me on my way to the exit when i realised we were safe. after the flight attendants cleaned the place up we were able to leave the airplane.

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:08 AM   #1927
Brynn
constantly amazed

^^^excellent
Old 02-25-2008, 06:24 AM   #1928
madasacutsnake
no more nice girl

Well, I have so many United stories but just for once, I'll tell the Interflug story. It's the one where they play the oom-pah music all the way from Singapore to Berlin.

Unabashed hijack to tell of my best flying experience which occurred last Thursday.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:47 AM   #1929
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

I haven't ever minded flying, been through turbulence and such, and one really white-knuckled landing on a far-too-short runway in Latin America, but by far my worst flying experience was when I swallowed hard and got on a plane with my baby just a couple of months after September 11. I was still reeling from the massive hormonal and emotional and spiritual conversion of looking into my own baby's eyes, and I was not in any way ready to put my baby on a plane, but I had shoved that aside in an effort to take him to see family that wanted to meet him. As the engines began to roar and the plane moved forward, I realized exactly how deeply and utterly not ready I was to accept this tiny, tiny risk of hideous death for my tiny, tiny child. I knew it wasn't rational even at the time, but it still ranks as one of the absolute worst experiences of my entire life.

I even ordered tomato juice, and it didn't help at all.
brightpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:51 AM   #1930
Stephi_B
waaaaaaa :)

None so far!
Well can be that a) I fly not so much and b) I have developed a high tolerance towards travel calamities as excessive train user...
Stephi_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:54 AM   #1931
lukkucairi
earth worker

well, I've never been convinced I was about to die, but there was that one time when the near port-side engine on our 747 flamed out (thankfully before takeoff) and we were stuck on the runway for 6 hours in the middle of the night while the Jamaican ladies behind us sang hymns loudly and in tinny voices and prayed to god that we wouldn't all be killed...in a stationary plane, I couldn't figure that one out...but they did it for the entire six hours before BA finally unloaded us and sent us all off to a local hotel where we were laid over for another 36 hours without a change of clothes or a toothbrush...

then there was the time we were coming in to land in one of those teensy planes I flew in all the time in the Bahamas, and the landing gear indicator wouldn't come on so Roland (the pilot) took us out over the sea and shook the plane up and down for 5 minutes (*blarf!*) to see if he could get the gear to lock...and when we finally did land we were being paced by the airport crash team along the runway, all ready to spray the purple K and foam if we did a belly-landing (the gear turned out to be fine - it was "dirt in the switch" apparently)...but we landed perfectly

mad: oompah music all the way from Singapore to Berlin? isn't that protected grounds for hijacking under the Geneva convention?
Old 02-25-2008, 12:09 PM   #1932
Frieda
in limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasacutsnake View Post

Unabashed hijack to tell of my best flying experience which occurred last Thursday.
spill!!

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:46 PM   #1933
lukkucairi
earth worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frieda View Post
spill!!
seconded
Old 02-25-2008, 12:53 PM   #1934
lukkucairi
earth worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynn View Post
After stupidly combining that with alcohol (hey, we were young and fearless) time just flew right by and before we knew it, somebody kindly poured us out onto the pavement when we landed. Magically, good friends somehow knew when we were arriving, glooped us into their car and drove us home.
I have a friend who moved from Atlanta to Denmark using that method - for the flight he took a couple of valium with scotch chasers

he says that he has a vague memory of flight attendants going through his pockets to figure out who he was and where he was supposed to go, and being wheelchaired between his flights at Frankfurt airport. He landed in Copenhagen wonderfully refreshed and wonders now why everyone doesn't fly while sedated.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:17 PM   #1935
Brynn
constantly amazed

^ hahahaha - so it really did happen the way I think I remember it happening!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: