ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 07:13 AM   #1186
Odbe
hope dope

Thanks guys! I'm much excited. The course is for an unusual degree, called a Bachelor of Natural History Illustration, but quite suited to my particular bio-nerdity+artiness.
Odbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:20 AM   #1187
Stephi_B
waaaaaaa :)

^you go odbe!
Stephi_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #1188
Stephi_B

oh and announce-i-do:

i have climbed up the career ladder, now i am no longer just this extra hour helping me kids in all sorts of subjects (in addition to maths, all nature sciences, english, german and advice in all matters that may occur - good books, good music, how to handle nasty ppl / understand the opposite sex.... ) quasi-teacher, i.e. Naaaaaaachhiiiiiiiiilfelehrerin (as a certain student representant - who actually attended my extra-hours only to (a) look what's happening and (b) once to eat noodles with his mate in a quiet place - used to yell across the 200m corridors before he developed as a new habit(?? ....anyway NOW, i am prepared ) to sort of jump on my back on the electric stairs in the subway station in order to hug me in such a rough footballer (that is soccer player for los non-britaineros) fashion that's a wee bit breathtaking/destabilising )
no, no, no, my new official status is:

illegal math teacher

(yo!)

(for with the sort of contract i have until feb 8 i'm not really legally allowed to really teach proper classes (two of them to be exact) in a proper subject (math) - but who cares, legal is for losers )
Old 01-23-2010, 08:03 PM   #1189
madasacutsnake
no more nice girl

Yay Stephi.

Wow odbe, way to go!
Old 01-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #1190
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

Those are some lucky kiddos, Stephi.
And Oh-bebe, if I had known one could get such a degree, I would've gotten one myself.
Both of you rock my socks with vicarious yippeees.

As for my own announcement, the crock pot was a success. My freezer is now full of 7 bean soup. This is the first time I have been able to cook beans until they're soft...I finally read that if you have calcium-hardened water, it complexes with the pectin in the skin of the bean, and they never cook properly. I used distilled water, and it worked like a charm. My happiness about this is disproportional to its relative importance, but I suppose we should take joy where we find it.
brightpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:23 AM   #1191
Odbe
hope dope

Stephi, it gives me a happy just knowing you're out there teaching Good teachers are SO important, you might never see a sign of it but have made a big difference for a kid who needs a cool person and not just an authoritarian.

Pearl, I also get a second-hand-happy from your wee discovery, kitchen science is exciting

Also, announce-me I'm learning a wee bit of German from a book and tape, it's slow going and bemusing but satisfying when something sticks. The die-nouns and das-nouns and der-nouns confuse me no end. It makes me wonder, who gets to decide their genders? When a new noun is created, for example if someone makes a new gadget like the iPod or a new we-don't-know-what like the Snuggie, how do you know what kind it is?
Odbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:22 AM   #1192
zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie
... my new official status is:

illegal math teacher

(yo!)
stephanie i've been saving this at the back of my toy cupboard for ages now i know why

zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #1193
Stephi_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero View Post
stephanie i've been saving this at the back of my toy cupboard for ages now i know why

yes!
Old 01-24-2010, 01:24 PM   #1194
Stephi_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odbe View Post
Stephi, it gives me a happy just knowing you're out there teaching Good teachers are SO important, you might never see a sign of it but have made a big difference for a kid who needs a cool person and not just an authoritarian.

the really wonderful thing about my kids is that they directly let me know and feel what and how i just did

that with der-die-das - i think that just happens, someone (say from the new product's advertisement firm) starts it, maybe because it sounds "fitting" - at least i've never heard that a bunch of linguists sits over the articles for new words (for then they'd never get an article i fear ) - then everyone uses it, and it enters the Duden (the big book that harbours our whole words inside it's friendly yellow covers ) thus.

the spelling of new/foreign words causes the major fuss mostly. and now, after all the (re-)reforms (to make everything about writing german simpler) no one knows anymore how to spell ketchup
Old 01-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #1195
Stephi_B

oh, and however it's spelled, ketchup goes with both der or das - just like butter has der and die as (in this case a regional thing, methinks) choice - wonderful confusion , you see!

anyway, do study it, if it feels good/fun to you it's worth it in any case - and one never knows how life runs. i just have it almost daily that now i can need many/most of the things i learnt/experienced on the go ("etwas aufschnappen" is the fitful verb for that) or without a "goal".

Last edited by Stephi_B : 01-24-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:53 PM   #1196
Coffee
Cheeses Save

Woot...nice job stephi and odbe. Gratz to u both.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:37 PM   #1197
YsaPur EsChomuw
oi

My scanner healed itself so I don't have to take it to the scanner-doctor!

Two weeks ago it went out of order just like that - one day it was scanning happily, the next day it refused to cooperate. It sent off wrong messages after initialising: like document loaded and feeder jam and similar ones when I clearly didn't load any document. Anyway, I disconnected it from my pc and then connected it again, but to no avail.

So I tried to install it on my laptop, but it has Vista, not XP, so I couldn't find it (haha!), although it produced the sample 'Congratulations, if you can read this page you have successfully installed your printer' page.

Frustrated, I tried to connect it back to my pc - and a miracle! It works again.
YsaPur EsChomuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:51 PM   #1198
Jack Flanders
landscaping is fun

^ YAY!!! I like when machines self-heal!!!
Jack Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:30 PM   #1199
MoJoRiSin
unbelievable

^ YES! YAY! YSA : )!

^^Ysa, the next time your printer goes haywire
try this ::
programs>accessories>system tools >system restore
then follow the simple directions to restore your computer to an earlier date when the printer worked (you will not loose any files) this usually works
and will just take a couple of minutes...
this is a fyi only....
Old 01-24-2010, 06:30 PM   #1200
YsaPur EsChomuw
oi

^^ ME TOO!

^ I don't have a 'system restore' option. Someone has probably stolen it!!! My enemies have surely been nibbling at my computer.
YsaPur EsChomuw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: