ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2004, 06:03 PM   #1
amanda
old s'cool

Worst Case Scenerio: a survival guide to the zefrank message board

Post your tips for surviving the worst case scenerios.

for example.

When there are postings that I REALLY don't agree with, I hit the reply button, and go ahead and type out things that I would like to say (As you can imagine, sometimes those words may not be exactly within the supportative spirit of this community.)

Then, instead of "submit reply", I use "preview post" to see it "printed". Feel that I have vented out some steam.

And then I cancel out the window. Let it go.

That way, I've released some vileness, not pissed in anyone else's Cheerios, and there's more room for other people to speak.

If it's really important to me, I'll consider that a rough draft and edit my way to what I feel is appropriate to this audience and my feelings about the issue.

Share your own tips for survival.
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 06:09 PM   #2
zenbabe
Lollypop!

I tend to us the PM feature to argue with people that I disagree with instead of making it public.

-Dr. Seuss
zenbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 06:15 PM   #3
lapietra
half baked

What if you PM someone and they don't respond? What if you're dealing with someone who seems to like to have their arguments in public so that they can attempt to garner support from others?
Old 08-15-2004, 06:22 PM   #4
zenbabe
Lollypop!

I haven't had that problem. If they want to have it out in public, so be it. But at least I tried.

-Dr. Seuss
Old 08-15-2004, 06:29 PM   #5
lapietra
half baked

And there you have it.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:37 PM   #6
bealeblues
where's my salt?

99.9% of the time i chalk it up to being an internet message board and i don't worry about it. the one exception that i can remember was when i posted my lone long post back during the dark days of the war of the worlds, way back when.... even then it wasn't an issue i had with anyone, just me saying something i felt needed saying....
Old 08-15-2004, 06:38 PM   #7
nycwriters
Stuck in T.O.

Oh give me a break.

I was not seeking any kind of public support.

This kind of thing is drama.

I saw something that was selfishly posted because of existing personal issues that had an immediate effect on someone else. I said my piece, and this continuation into today is just an example of the drama you create.

Whatever.

If it makes you feel better, then so be it. But it wouldn't be carried into today unless you felt I had a point in what I wrote.
nycwriters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 06:39 PM   #8
zenbabe
Lollypop!

I still say that starting a thread on immigration is a great way to pick a fight. If you feel like fighting.....

-Dr. Seuss
Old 08-15-2004, 06:52 PM   #9
bealeblues
where's my salt?

i think i've stepped into something here that has been going on in another thread or threads that i haven't read. my comment remains the same, just that i have no idea what may have precipitated the creation of this thread....
Old 08-15-2004, 07:02 PM   #10
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Sometimes I think to myself, "Now, what would a nice person say?"
Old 08-15-2004, 07:10 PM   #11
masterofNone
________

i think trisherina is a model of civility.

i've just stopped posting anything in response to those posts i can't reply to without getting personal. after last summer's flame war... which i was personally responisble for for the most part... i decided when i came back in from the cold that i'd just not argue with anybody. i haven't always been successful. but, y'know, if someone says something that makes me mad, i just go to another thread and read that. so, if i don't respond to your posts from now on you can assume that i think you're full of shit.

heh.
masterofNone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 07:16 PM   #12
lapietra
half baked

Quote:
Originally posted by masterofNone
i think trisherina is a model of civility.

i've just stopped posting anything in response to those posts i can't reply to without getting personal. after last summer's flame war... which i was personally responisble for for the most part... i decided when i came back in from the cold that i'd just not argue with anybody. i haven't always been successful. but, y'know, if someone says something that makes me mad, i just go to another thread and read that. so, if i don't respond to your posts from now on you can assume that i think you're full of shit.

heh.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:47 PM   #13
xfox
slightly effective

Been called by ugly names. That's kept me off for a while.

Somebody's opining shouldn't come to that.
xfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 09:53 PM   #14
Magpie
Wishing on a pickle.

Apparently I have appointed myself as the big-ass-black-line drawer. You're welcome
Old 08-15-2004, 11:33 PM   #15
masterofNone
________

the other thing that's worked for me is that i made the policy not to take anyone's side anymore. i think if it's only two people in an argument it tends to deflate faster if i let them hash it out themselves. sort of trust folks to solve their own issues. i dunno. works for me so far.
masterofNone is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: