dinzdale
King of the špatnýs

Here come the j-j-judge, I guess...
dinzdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:31 AM   #1952
Hyakujo's Fox
left hanging

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
Am I too late? or should I wait a bit longer?
Hyakujo's Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:36 AM   #1953
dddrum
Amateur Human

ODOR IN THE COURT! *gavel! gavel!* (I sentence you to replace the got dang Plug-In!) The truth?? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH! ...well, perhaps you can. The truth about fabrefaction is that it describes the making of a piece of art. In a way, then, every entry here is a winner... a fabrefaction of imagination, wit, and verbal dexterity. THANK YOU AND GOOD NIGHT, EVERYBODY!

.................................................. .............

All right, all right. It was worth a shot.

Zatoichi cops the fabled Heisman for the gritty gridiron greatness of a gang of Green Bay goofs. (Should I take this any Favre-r? You Brett! Err, uh-uh!)

Footiemix and Flanders share the Bolt of Bafflement for making me wonder just how we got to poetic justice and the Big O. (Not that there's anything wrong with going there. Often.)

While I'm waxing orgasmic, let me bestow a Golden O upon M. Bales, for... umm, pointing out certain, ah... perks associated with the scantily clad.

Brynn and xfox found their way to opposite ends of a conceptual continuum: on the one hand, a lie that makes things more believable; on the other, a truth that simply cannot be swallowed. Sadly, they cancel each other out, and must share the shiny silver of Second Place.

The Grand Prize for this round, then (the quasiprestigious Clinton Badge of Chutzpah), goes to trisherina, who found a really interesting spot somewhere in the middle of the aforementioned continuum...

Quote:
fabrefaction: Lying about rot.

"If I don't win, the awards show loses credibility," Kanye blurted in a stunning burst of double-edged fabrefaction.
Bravo, Trish! Bravo!

And nowwwwwwwww... thiscourtisadjournedg'nightallpwaaaSHWIIIIIIIP! *
Old 11-10-2006, 10:17 AM   #1954
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

It's too early in the morning and my car is warming up... oh, okay, thanks dddrum...

saccade
trisherina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:50 AM   #1955
12"razormix
° ★ °

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrum
making me wonder just how we got to poetic justice
fab refaction
12"razormix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:08 AM   #1956
Hyakujo's Fox
left hanging

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
saccade to attempt to make a coherent story out of several unrelated American cop shows each partially viewed while channel surfing to the extent that one forgets which show is the one one is actually watching.

I quickly saccaded that the connection between the disappearance of the doctor's wife and the landlord murdering young illegal immigrant women was she must have been mistakenly killed by the pimp when she came back into the country carrying cocaine for the tax-evading movie producer.
Hyakujo's Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:41 AM   #1957
dinzdale
King of the špatnýs

saccade n.

Originally found in a German schloss built before 1500, the saccade was a shaped bone or horn scoop, akin to a shoehorn, that enabled a knight of the day to ease his testicles into a tightly fitting suit of armour. In later periods, more decorative saccades were used throughout Europe to jockey ones nuts into a codpiece or knickerbockers.
The handle of the device enabled a peer's valet to pack his lordship's lunch without manual intervention.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:09 PM   #1958
dddrum
Amateur Human

saccade n.

The shiver-inducing sound made by a live studio audience when one sitcom character demonstrates affection toward another. Generally, the younger the characters, the louder and more pronounced the saccade. This sound may also be provoked by the introduction of a cute furry animal (see Richard Gere's Wiki).

Last edited by dddrum : 11-10-2006 at 12:19 PM.
dddrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:29 PM   #1959
Brynn
constantly amazed

saccade - 1. n. a mythical grab bag of miscellaneous gemstones 2. n. a decorative brocade encrusted with multicolored gemstones, reserved exclusively for royalty 3. n. a long rambling speech, that, although full of bits of brilliance, ultimately adds up to nothing.
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:27 PM   #1960
Zatoichi
monkey

Saccade -- A military term for the sacking of a city, taken for the same unfathomable reasons from the French, as military tactitians refer to maneuvers of infantry as enfilade or defilade. You'd think that even the hide-bound traditionalists at West Point would have figured out by now that using French words for for military tactics is as appropriate as using Italian for organizational principles or German for foreplay.

Worse yet, it's a backformation from the Old English and Old Norse sakk, for the pillaging of a city or monastery which Viking raiders inflicted on the coast of Normandy for centuries, meaning that we use an inapt French word which they in fact stole.

(If I may digress, every other language adapts a foreign innovation with some degree of fidelity to the original. Anglophones invent the computer and it becomes der Computer or el computador, except in French where it becomes l'ordinateur as if by having their own word for it they could claim some sort of credit for its development).

The point of the digression, and the tone of this definition, should indicate that I am thoroughly dissatisfied with the origins and applications of this word, but I am a faithful reporter and this is what it means.
Zatoichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:30 AM   #1961
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Where do you rate on The Dictionary Game Likert Scale?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
ewww okay good win

HFox: 7
Brynn: 5
dddrum: 4 (an 8 before Richard Gere)
Zatoichi: 9 and Coveted Second Place, huzzah!
dinzdale: 10, a Butterkase beanie, and the NEXT ROUND!
Old 11-14-2006, 11:23 AM   #1962
dinzdale
King of the špatnýs

And the true definition was......?
Old 11-14-2006, 04:26 PM   #1963
dinzdale
King of the špatnýs

I guess we'll never know......

How very caprimulgid ....or is it?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:47 AM   #1964
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinzdale
And the true definition was......?
A tic, esp. of the eye. You know, a small, annoying, repetitive jerk.

caprimulgid, on the other hand, describes a type of careless gesture seen only on a certain Italian isle.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:15 AM   #1965
12"razormix
° ★ °

caprimulgid, adj.

describing the state where your pants are too tight and ride up in your crotch causing the hem to rise disproportionately and causing an unsightly gap between footwear and hem, frequently seen in middle-aged women trying to appear "sporty" or male senior citizens having lost the necessary dexterity for using a belt.

(see also cameltoe or shut-up man)
12"razormix is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: