ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2006, 12:54 AM   #16
xfox
slightly effective

wireless is fast too. I think the computer has to have a fast processor and plenty of RAM. Does it matter/help if you regularly clean out cookies and defrag?
xfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:57 AM   #17
ambo
feline, naturally

Quote:
Originally Posted by surflugen
...a high speed package that is comparable to a T1 line-lightening fast but was like 50 dollars a month...
That's what I've had for years......
BTW, hi Surf !
Old 01-23-2006, 06:10 PM   #18
surflugen
getting Donuts

Hi again

Hi Ambo.
been really busy, so sorry for being a lurker.
Did you get in on the cable high speed early, and have your pricing stayed the same? I wanted to switch to cable but waited to long and now its just to much when DSL prices are dropping. The way I see it, going back to 56K modem speeds always puts any higher speeds at a better deal. Mayber if I started doing digiatal vid-editing and transfers of super huge files I would need the superior service. But for now DSL is just fine.
surflugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:29 PM   #19
Smartypants
MR. Smartypants to you.

Location: Oh, YOU PEOPLE go ahead and call it "Frisco." See if I care.
Ambo:

I don't know if you ever said where you're located, but here's a rundown of what my provider (RCN) offers, in which regions.

I highly recommend them, for their immediate and helpful tech support when/if you need it, as well as the rest of it. (I not normally one to go blowing the horn of public utility companies, but I am surprisingly happy with RCN.)

I have a bundled pkg from them that includes TV/Internet/Phone. It costs about $5 less than purchasing all the services separately from sbc, comcast, etc., but it also includes a MUCH bigger local calling area, and premium TV channels that are not included in the basic packages from RCN's competitors.

Although the price is based on buying the package, I noticed on my last bill that the Internet portion of the bill is listed as around $38 of the total invoice for all the services I get.

"I don't think God wants us to believe in him. If he wanted us to believe in him he'd do something about it -- like exist perhaps!" --Linda Smith

Last edited by Smartypants : 01-23-2006 at 06:36 PM.
Smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:30 PM   #20
Zeismyhero
Happy just to dance w/you

You won't believe this, but I have dial up at home through a provider that boasts faster speed and guess what? It is pretty freaking fast. Especially considering it's dial up.

I don't know if it is the provider OR if it is that in the area I live, I may be the only Flintstone left using dial up.

I'll tell the provider to anyone who asks...I just didn't want to place it on here and have you good folks thinkin' I'm advertising.
Zeismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:51 PM   #21
Jack Flanders
landscaping is fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfox
wireless is fast too. I think the computer has to have a fast processor and plenty of RAM. Does it matter/help if you regularly clean out cookies and defrag?
Yes , it does help. Gets rid of the crap.
Jack Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:34 PM   #22
ambo
feline, naturally

Quote:
Originally Posted by surflugen
Hi Ambo.
been really busy, so sorry for being a lurker.
Did you get in on the cable high speed early, and have your pricing stayed the same? I wanted to switch to cable but waited to long and now its just to much when DSL prices are dropping. The way I see it, going back to 56K modem speeds always puts any higher speeds at a better deal. Mayber if I started doing digiatal vid-editing and transfers of super huge files I would need the superior service. But for now DSL is just fine.
I've had Comcast for years, and they keep raising their rates every year. But they also increase the speed of the service. I am so spoiled now, I'm afraid anything less than what I have will be a disappointment. I just checked on the Comcast site, and they advertise my service as being "up to 2 times faster than 1.5Mbps DSL" - so I guess max 3Mbps. There is apparently a faster service which is around 6Mbps - I didn't even know that - that must be the service you were talking about, huh ? I guess I don't pay $50 after all !
Old 01-23-2006, 07:37 PM   #23
ambo
feline, naturally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartypants
Ambo:

I don't know if you ever said where you're located, but here's a rundown of what my provider (RCN) offers, in which regions.

I highly recommend them, for their immediate and helpful tech support when/if you need it, as well as the rest of it. (I not normally one to go blowing the horn of public utility companies, but I am surprisingly happy with RCN.)

I have a bundled pkg from them that includes TV/Internet/Phone. It costs about $5 less than purchasing all the services separately from sbc, comcast, etc., but it also includes a MUCH bigger local calling area, and premium TV channels that are not included in the basic packages from RCN's competitors.

Although the price is based on buying the package, I noticed on my last bill that the Internet portion of the bill is listed as around $38 of the total invoice for all the services I get.
Hi Smarty,
Well, I used to be in California, but I'm in Washington state now. I just checked, and RCN isn't even available in Washington. It does sound like a great deal. Just one more reason you are so lucky to be living in California
Old 01-24-2006, 01:39 AM   #24
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

I still have a 300 baud DisplayPhone in the mechanical room, if anyone is interested.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: