ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2011, 11:29 PM   #1
Klynne
monkey

My dog is a fatty

I had to take my 2 year old pom to the vet a couple of times because her left front leg is hurting her. She is limping. The first time, the vet just said it was soft tissue damage. My boyfriend took her and her regular vet was not in, so someone else saw her. Today, I took her, and her regular vet saw her. She checked her out, and said it was the early stages of arthritis, and recommended joint supplements. She also told me that Layla is chubby. Layla is almost 13 lbs and her ideal weight is 10 lbs. She asked me how much I was feeding her, and I told her 1/2 a cup of dry kibble a day. Then she asked me what brand, and I told her Innova. She told me that I was feeding her too much, and she only needs 200 calories a day! On top of all this, it has been so hot, (90 degrees right now at 10 p.m.) so, I have not been taking her out to walk. Even when it is cooler out, she refuses to walk. So, I have been feeding her too much, which makes her fat, her arthritis flairs, and so of course, she does not want to walk. So, the plan is, I bought her the supplements, and the vet told me to reduce what I feed her. (okay here comes the math, I fed her 1/4 of a cup in the a.m., and 1/4 of a cup at night, so she said give her 3/4 of 1/4 of a cup twice a day. What the hell is that? 3/8ths of a cup a day?)

If any of you have advice on weight loss for a fat little dog, I would appreciate it

Last edited by Klynne : 09-01-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Klynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:36 AM   #2
funkytuba
Spone to Proonerisms

actually it's half that. When you're doing fractions of fractions, you multiply the tops and the bottoms:

(1/4) US cup = 4 US tablespoons

so
3/4 * 1/4 cup = 3/16 = 3 tablespoons

might be easier to do it by weight... do it once and weigh how much it is, then get those little snack ziplock bags and do a weeks or month's batch at a time on your scale
Old 09-02-2011, 07:13 AM   #3
Frieda
in limbo

Get a treadmill, no snacks, and don't accept a refusal from your dog. YOU are the boss.

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
Klynne
monkey

Thanks for the advice Funky and Frieda. Funky, I could not believe the tablespoon thing, but, it is true! I measured it. Not that I doubted it, but, I am like, really a creature can live off of 6 tablespoons of food a day? Frieda, treats are no longer given. I did not admit this, but the boyfriend had been giving her three treats a day, I was giving her one or two. We just did not communicate this to each other. The vet said, that is 100 extra plus calories she does not need! We did talk about this after her last check up, in July, so she has not gotten anything from either of us since, but, I was still over feeding her. I have pre-weighed and bagged her next few meals, so, the boyfriend knows to use the pre-measured baggies and not measure himself. He feeds her in the a.m. I feed her at night.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
Odbe
hope dope

My tummy is a fatty. It's a bit more difficult but the same principles.
Good luck with your dog. Arthritis is no fun.
Odbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:52 AM   #6
Klynne
monkey

Layla had to get her distemper shot today. In two weeks she has lost 5 ounces. May not sound like much, but when you are only 12.6 lbs, it is a big deal! So, now she is 12.1 lbs. Yay! The vet was pleased. Her ideal weight is 10 lbs. Even at her ideal weight she is big for a pom.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
funkytuba
Spone to Proonerisms

yay! glad to help!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: