ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > GOOD READING
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2006, 02:08 AM   #1
Tunesmith
click click click

Bradbury

Any Ray Bradbury fans here?

i just finished Fahrenheit 451 for the second time and am now on his short stories. Favorites so far:

-The Dwarf
-The Fruit at the Bottom of the Bowl
-Zero Hour
-The Golden Apples of the Sun (such a cool idea)
-One for His Lordship, and One for the Road!
Old 12-19-2006, 04:23 AM   #2
zenbabe
Lollypop!

I have been looking for a copy of a short film he did quite a few years back. It is called "All Summers in a Day" or "All Summer in a day"

If anyone can find a copy of this, even if it is on VHS or Beta, Please let me know!!!!!!!

-Dr. Seuss
zenbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:11 AM   #3
Hyakujo's Fox
left hanging

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
I'm a lapsed fan I guess. I read a lot of his stuff a long time ago and other than Fahrenheit 451 and The Martian Chronicles, sadly, I mostly only remember the titles. Yet I can still recall the feeling of reading that first page of Dandelion Wine borrowed from the local library.

He (and Clifford Simak for another) had such a wonderful lyrical style, innocent even when they were guilty. One of those authors I'm gonna read again "some" day.

Quote:
August 2001: THE SETTLERS

The men of Earth came to Mars.

They came because they were afraid or unafraid, because they were happy or unhappy, because they felt like Pilgrims or did not feel like Pilgrims. There was a reason for each man. They were leaving bad wives or bad jobs or bad towns; they were coming to find something or leave something or get something, to dig up something or bury something or leave something alone. They were coming with small dreams or large dreams or none at all. But a government finger pointed from four-color posters in many towns: THERE'S WORK FOR YOU IN THE SKY: SEE MARS! and the men shuffled forward, only a few at first, a double-score, for most men felt the great illness in them even before the rocket fired into space. And this disease was called The Loneliness, because when you saw your home town dwindle the size of your fist and then lemon-size and then pin-size and vanish in the fire-wake, you felt you had never been born, there was no town, you were nowhere, with space all around, nothing familiar, only other strange men. And when the state of Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, or Montana vanished into cloud seas, and, doubly, when the United States shrank to a misted island and the entire planet Earth became a muddy baseball tossed away, then you were alone, wandering in the meadows of space, on your way to a place you couldn't imagine.
Hyakujo's Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:37 PM   #4
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

I went on a Bradbury binge inspired by the lyrically written Something Wicked This Way Comes at some point back in the late 80s, went to a large specialty science fiction bookstore, and bought every one of his books in print at the time (in paperback, thankfully). I still have the evidence of this little binge sitting on shelves in the dining room. I read them all, but have only reread a couple. I find that Bradbury doesn't appeal much to the techie-style readers, but more to the Spider Robinson, Ursula K. LeGuin, Aldous Huxley types who want writing that makes them feel good.

(edit: just realized HFox and I both described the writing style as "lyrical." Crazy bastid.)

Last edited by trisherina : 12-19-2006 at 12:41 PM.
trisherina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:00 PM   #5
Tunesmith
click click click

Hey zen, is this what you were thinking of?

Quote:
just realized HFox and I both described the writing style as "lyrical." Crazy bastid.
Perfect description. I love the way he can take the simplest situations and describe the hell out of them, but never repeat fully repeat himself.

I remember loving Something Wicked, but seeing as I was too young to understand all of the symbolism, I'll have to pick it up again sometime.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:56 PM   #6
Hyakujo's Fox
left hanging

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
Quote:
Originally Posted by trisherina
I find that Bradbury doesn't appeal much to the techie-style readers, but more to the Spider Robinson, Ursula K. LeGuin, Aldous Huxley types who want writing that makes them feel good.
Well, I'd say Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars and Ray Bradbury's Mars both make me feel good, just for different reasons.
Hyakujo's Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:50 PM   #7
zenbabe
Lollypop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunesmith
Hey zen, is this what you were thinking of?

That is it! But it is only a short clip of the end of the movie. I am in search of the whole thing! Thank you though!

-Dr. Seuss
zenbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:13 AM   #8
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyakujo's Fox
Well, I'd say Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars and Ray Bradbury's Mars both make me feel good, just for different reasons.
I don't meet many of the "double dipper" types in science fiction readers. Even when I was in a speculative fiction writing group, people seemed to belong to one or the other camp. And then fantasy was a whole other ballgame. Perhaps a series of MRIs can tell us more.
trisherina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:31 PM   #9
craig johnston
dalai clique

Location: tea leaf towers - home of fine musical entertainment
as above.
had a big phase twenty something years ago, and i was left
with the feeling he is great, but haven't got back to him since.
i really should.
cheers ts!

Old 12-20-2006, 08:16 PM   #10
Jack Flanders
landscaping is fun

Thanks for reminding me guys - I read the Martian Chronicles in the sixth grade and completely feel in love with Bradbury. One more trip to the bookstore for another gift for my 7th grade son!!!
Jack Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:50 PM   #11
allflowerz
monkey

I had to read that book in high school. I liked it, it was one of the few.
allflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: