ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > GOOD READING
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2003, 06:38 PM   #1
moel

terrible questions about reading

dumb questions, yeah, i'm curious.

1. When do you do must of your reading?

2. what was the first book you ever read? and i don't mean robert munch, dr seuss, or mercer mayer.

3. what's the sadest story you've ever read? A story that made feel sad, or very sad for the character(s).

4. what is the most personally inspiring, for whatever reason, story you have ever read?

5. would you rather read a joan collins romance, or a john douglas true crime?

6. true or false: moel should be reading haruki murakami, and not wasting time with lame questions.
moel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 03:40 AM   #2
Frieda
in limbo

either late at night in bed, to fall asleep, or when relaxing in the sun

2. what was the first book you ever read? and i don't mean robert munch, dr seuss, or mercer mayer.
the first real book was lord of the rings, i think i was 11 at the time

3. what's the sadest story you've ever read? A story that made feel sad, or very sad for the character(s).
i never read sad stories

4. what is the most personally inspiring, for whatever reason, story you have ever read?
the most recent one is "The adventures of Flash Jackson" by William Kowalski.

john douglas

6. true or false: moel should be reading haruki murakami, and not wasting time with lame questions.
false, do whatever pleases you most!

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 11:31 AM   #3
fodder

1. When do you do most of your reading?
anytime. especially mornings and nights

i dont remember

3. what's the saddest story you've ever read? A story that made feel sad, or very sad for the character(s).
almost all the stories i read are sad because i like sad stories the best. the saddest story i have read recently is 'the inverted forest' by salinger

one would be 'steppenwolf.' i remember finish it and being shocked and then reading it over again. but, i couldn't say *most* inspiring. salinger's writing style resonates with me best, though, but maybe i am just saying that because i just reread all of these short stories and feel buzzing

ew, neither

well, yeah, probably
Old 07-23-2003, 06:32 PM   #4
moel

thanks.

i can't read in the morning, too early. i can't read during the day, too busy.
can hardly read at night, too tired and almost always fall asleep, unless i get in a really uncomfortable position. which i am embarrassed to say, is how i hurt my back and missed a week of work... a reading injury, that, or being stupid.

The Stand. i'm not a King fan at all. but it turned out pretty darn good.

White Nights - Dostoevsky
.. and yeah, salinger's stories are very palpable.

i don't think i can answer this... but i'm trying.

right now, neither. but john douglas for sure.

who cares? the answer isn't going to change anything.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:11 PM   #5
malina
leaving

Re: terrible questions about reading

commuting to and from work ( ca. 2-3 hours every day )

something by edgar allan poe ( don't remember which one )

too many, i can't pick one

ayn rand - the fountainhead

true crime!

i like your questions, moel
malina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 12:27 PM   #6
amanda
old s'cool

whenever I possibly can- I almost always have a book with me.

The Phantom Tollbooth (Hey, Dr. Seuss should count- my cat is named Sam for a very good reason. I name all my cats after influencial literary characters. Doesn't matter that I was six at the time- Sam I Am left an impression on me.)

this is a toughie- I can only go over the past year or so of books- I cried at the ending of Fury by Salman Rushdie

also tough- one that I come back to time and time again is Illusions- the Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach

well, if I was stranded on an island, gnawing on my own flesh for food and my only other reading material was the ingrediants on a pack of M&M- then probably both at the same time. mesh the plots together.

hehehee.. waste away, man. Just don't let Tock catch you.
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 06:10 PM   #7
dickieC
Professional ZeMonkey

Re: terrible questions about reading

dumb questions, yeah, i'm curious.

Reading for pleasure, before I go to sleep. For work I'm at it all the time.

The first book I ever read unaided was one by Dr. Seuss but I am now uncertain of the title. I think it was called "Into the Woods" and it taught prepositions. It was about some bears who go into the woods at night, and all the prepositions are there as they go along.

I can't remember the first proper novel I ever read. I read the Chronicles of Narnia pretty early on.

3. what's the saddest story you've ever read? A story that made feel sad, or very sad for the character(s).

Schindler's Ark made me weep. So did the end of Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy.

Shackleton's account of his 1907-9 attempt to reach the South Pole. It's called "Furthest South". He got to within 97 miles of the pole and turned back with his three companions as they were running out of supplies. That takes some guts. I think that's more inspiring than the more famous 1914-16 expedition, the one with the open boat voyage from Antarctica to South Georgia. Right over my desk I have the Frank Hurley print of the Endeavour, Shackleton's ship, lit up white against the pitch-black polar winter sky. Magnificent.

Neither, I can't bear to read that sort of thing.

Erm, questions are always good.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:05 PM   #8
amanda
old s'cool

Wocket in my Pocket.....

maybe.

Dickie's answer to #4 reminded me of another inspiring book- Ice Bird by David Lawrence. He was the first to single-handedly sail around Antarctica, in the meantime capsizing three times and nearly freezing to death. I remember reading it while I was sailing from NZ to Tonga- it helped me keep that trip in good perspective.
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 09:58 PM   #9
LadyCrow
WhY sO SiRiUs?

These weren't terrible, so there :P

-whenever I can; basically, when I'm eating

-the first book I remember reading when I was a wee lass was Grimm Fairy tales

-"She's Come Undone"; can't remember the author @ the moment, but it's one of the only books I've only read once.. good, but depressing too

-"Dance Upon The Air", by Nora Roberts; it's a romance book, but damn interesting! It reminds me of the movie "Sleeping With the Enemy", with witchcraft stirred in. I've read it many times, and am eager to pick up the next 2 installments
-why is this inspiring? Not totally sure, but what I do know is that after I read it, my mood improves immensely... if that's not an example of inspiration, I don't know what is

-neither, really; I'm tired of the crappy romance books, and true crime stories don't do it for me

-tell me what haruki murakami is first, then I'll let you know
-moel should do whatever he pleases; perhaps a little bit of both?

Loving these questions is,
LC

"If there is a bedrock principle of the First Amendment, it is that the government may not prohibit the expression of an idea simply because society finds the idea itself offensive or disagreeable."

-- Justice William J. Brennan
(1906-1997) U. S. Supreme Court Justice
Source: Texas vs. Johnson, 1989

Illegitimi non carborundum...

Whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger. - Heath Ledger
LadyCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 09:20 PM   #10
pooflinger

Location: Klamath Falls, going to Oregon Tech, majoring in Medical Imaging ephasis on Nuclear Medicine
At night, at work, or whenever i want some time away from my life for awhile

2. what was the first book you ever read?
oh jeez....probably Bridge to Terabithia...EXCELLENT KIDS BOOK!
3. what's the sadest story you've ever read?
probably Brave New World, the ending was so sad
eh, most of the books i read are somewhat depressing. probably Naked by David Sedaris

lol, true crime

false, lame questions are fun

Old 09-10-2003, 09:28 PM   #11
moel

i remember reading Bridge to Terabithia, pretty sad story really.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:11 PM   #12
Hermione
monkey

At night or whenever I get a chance.

I don't remember. I think Great Expectations in the third grade.

Harry Potter and the order of the Pheonix

Crime and Punishment

john douglas

truee
Hermione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 10:13 PM   #13
catbelly
monkey

1. When do you do most of your reading?
At night before bed, and in marathon shut-in sessions on the weekends.

I read Bridge to Terabithia too but the one I think I remember the most as being mind-blowing was A Wrinkle in Time.

Gah even thinking about Flowers for Algernon will make me cry.

Mmmm. A few years ago I went through some horrible job poo where I failed the professional exams that would have gotten me a CA (Chartered Accountant) designation. I just couldn't write them properly, they kicked my ass and I failed repeatedly. Isaac Asimov wrote a story where the protagonist is super bitter because all of his friends are aptitude tested then imprinted with all the knowledge they need to pursue a profession, while his aptitude test shows him to be unsuitable for imprinting with a profession. He is without a profession - shame - and he actually has to learn things from books - unheard of. Anyway I am making a hash of describing the story but I'm sure you get my point. It made me feel like a lot less of a loser

Um... honestly I probably wouldn't pick either... but if I had to it would be true crime.

True! I want a Moel Murakami review!
catbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 10:27 AM   #14
pooflinger

Location: Klamath Falls, going to Oregon Tech, majoring in Medical Imaging ephasis on Nuclear Medicine
Quote:
Originally posted by moel
i remember reading Bridge to Terabithia, pretty sad story really.

oh yeah, its definitely sad. But I think its a great book for older kids to read...it entails death, but nothing scary or gruesome..
pooflinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 10:44 PM   #15
yodeling_booyah
What's the word......

On my few days off with a pot of tea and a stack of cigarettes.

I think maybe the first influential book I read was The Three Musketeers. I read tons before that, but that was the first big one I tackled.

A romance novel where the hero gets caught in a mine with his girl, and the mine collapses and breaks his legs. He says, "Darling, the pain in my legs is nothing copared to the pain in my heart when we are apart." And then they did it, broken legs and all.

I cried.

Not really. I'm not into sad stuff. But I really did read that book I just mentioned.

"How then shall we Live" by Francis Schaefer. Philosophy.

I'm in the mood for a really bad, corny romance. I havent had anything for a few years.

False. Moel should spend all his time making surveys for me to waste my time with.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: