The Bottle Inn , and
Mama D's Italian Kitchen

- Quinton
quintondotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 04:31 PM   #2
Mean Girl
monkey

Whenever I'm in L.A. I make sure to go two places:

Killer Shrimp (they literally have 3 things on menu: shrimp and pasta, shrimp and rice, or shrimp and bread...get the shrimp and bread...wear a bib)
and
Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles (seriously, GET the chicken/waffle combo)

happiness.
MG
Mean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 02:44 AM   #3
lapietra
half baked

Japanese

Really cheap, really excellent fresh sushi & sashimi in a quiet, small, relaxing room (just went there tonight... ummmmmm......)

San Sui 2040 Hillhurst Ave.; (323) 660-3868

Get the combination sashimi dinner... it's $14 and includes miso soup, salad with a wonderful mustardy dressing, veggie and shrimp tempura and a nice selection of fish.
The menu not only features cold unfiltered sake (which my stepdad was beside himself about) but also a variety of premium specialty sakes (besides a perfectly nice basic house sake). And a few great teas that they blend themselves.
The sushi's only a small part of the menu (lots of teriyaki and other Japanese specialties, and a vegetarian section) but if you've only got a few bucks to spend & you're craving raw fish, this is a great place to go.
Old 09-23-2002, 12:23 PM   #4
lapietra
half baked

Peruvian (!)

saskuoch's Arizona entry just reminded me of one of my favorite restaurants...

I used to be a soloist at a church that's on the corner of Melrose and Rossmore (just as Vine turns to Rossmore). There were two services, and since I'm really bad at eating breakfast if I have a job, I was usually really hungry after the first, when I had about an hour break. My only within-walking-distance choices at that time were Winchell's, Popeye's Fried Chicken, and Mario's Peruvian (5786 Melrose Ave.), which quickly became my favorite - I would often go there for a freshly-made sweet corn tamale into which had been pressed a half hard-boiled egg, a chile and an olive, and many steaming cups of cafe con leche, poured from an old glass coffee carafe. I have an indelible memory of sitting there on a cold, rainy morning, enjoying this treat while I watched the L. A. Marathon go by.
They also have some other great food, one of my favorites being the saltado de mariscos, doused with a spicy/garlicky avocado sauce.
Here's a good, descriptive review:

http://www.losangeles.com/dining/dining6.html

Last edited by lapietra : 09-23-2002 at 11:10 PM.
lapietra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 08:03 PM   #5
brittykitty
better than your mom

mashti malones ice cream on labrea south of hollywood. mmmmm. and sushi mac in sherman oaks. double mmmm. 2.50 per plate. you can feed 4 people for $20.
Old 06-01-2003, 04:39 AM   #6
imdrsmooth

My friends and I usually go to Sushi Mac in Sherman Oaks every Sunday. This is a very old thread but I thought I'd post.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:17 PM   #7
surflugen
getting Donuts

Clearman's North Woods Inn in San Gabreil, La Mirada, and West Covina (and used to be one in Long Beach). There are in the huge log cabins with fake snow on the roof. They really stand out in the beutiful southern California settings. Any way, they give you huge portions. It is primarily a steak house. Not to cheap but the atmosphere is great. Saw-dust and peanut shells on the floor. You sit down and the waitor/bartender throws a bowl of peanuts in front of you. The waitresses wear the push-up bra - short dresses with bloomers and high heals, or at least they used to. I worked there for 10 years and got really good at NOT staring down at the breast. Paintings on the walls are of clasical nudes and surrounded by game heads. Not a place for a feminist vegatarian. Piano bar, large scooners. Dinner comes with two salads and cheese bread. One salad is a marinated Red cabage salad and the other is a lettus salad with a butermilk blue cheese dressing. They don't sound good together but most people mix the two and it is sooooo good. Huge baked patato with a mound of cheese buter. Total calorie fest. A lot of people will split a dinner but there is a charge for the salad.
surflugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 08:58 PM   #8
lapietra
half baked

My two favorite Italian restaurants in Los Angeles are, happily, within walking distance of my apartment.

One is Palermo, actually owned by a Sicilian named Tony, a very sweet guy. I sang there for awhile and he still remembers me (and sometimes sends me a free tiramisu for dessert). Reasonably priced, satisfying Southern Italian dishes - great garlic bread. Warm, lively atmosphere, appropriate for family gatherings or dates.

The other (I would eat here every other night if I could) is Farfalla. Incredible food, with a Northern Italian slant. Also pretty reasonably priced, although a little more than Palermo. It's a little tightly seated, but the atmosphere and some of the best service I've ever encountered in Los Angeles makes up for it. Wine list *to die* for... desserts (including a killer tiramisu) that are big enough to share and blissfully good.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:58 PM   #9
doppelfodder

HONK
doppelfodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 01:59 PM   #10
doppelfodder

HOOOONK
Old 08-15-2004, 01:59 PM   #11
doppelfodder

HOOOOOOOOOOOONK