ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > Out of the way eats
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-20-2002, 04:32 AM   #1
saskuoch
Somebody stole my cheese

H-Town

(That's Houston for all of you unfamiliar with Texas).

I think most Houstonians know about these places, but for those of you who are out-of-towners, if you end up in Houston, and you're hungry, these should help:

My favorite restaurant is Hobbit Cafe (used to be Hobbit Hole). Tons of great vegetarian food (I'm a Slim Shire fan, myself).

For middle of the night Mexican, Taqueria La Tapatia on Richmond is open late (possibly 24 hours? I can't quite remember). It's cheap, comfy, and serves brain sandwiches (among other more options more suited to US taste).

Of course, there's always Mai's for Vietnamese. It's open 'til 4am. The service sucks, so you can't go when you're in a rush, and there are things on the menu that the waitstaff simply will not allow non-Vietnamese people to order, but their salt-toasted tofu is super-tasty. They serve good Vietnamese iced coffee which I like to call "liquid crack."

And a Houston tradition: House of Pies/Guys (the one on Kirby). Go after two am. Eat cottage fries and pie. The food's not stellar, but the waitresses are the quitessential diner food servers, and the crowd is, shall we say, "eccentric." Diet Coke comes in giant size only.
We are, of course, now living in what George W. Bush has called the "era of personal responsibility": if a child chooses to have parents who can't afford health care, that child will have to accept the consequences.
saskuoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 11:13 PM   #2
red
elite rabble

Cleburne Cafeteria on Bissonnet. They've been around since 1941 for a reason and it's not just the octagenarians. As cafeterias go, they are on the pricey side, but the portions are huge. Try it. You'll like it.

Cha Cho's on Westheimer west of Fountainview. Good, cheap Tex-Mex and goood margarita's. I like their grilled fish tacos.

Goode Company Barbeque on Kirby. Like the name implies, good bbq. Everything there is good.

Lupe Tortilla's off of 59N between Shepard and Kirby. Tex-Mex. Hands down the BEST fajitas in Houston. I rarely get anything else when I go there.

Hobbit Cafe on Richmond. I have loved this place for years. I like Smaug's Delight.

Mai's Vietnamese iced coffee is like liquid crack. It'll make your eyeballs vibrate.

House of Pies mmmmmm yummy! My fav is Bayoo Goo and a cup of coffee.

Last edited by red : 09-21-2002 at 12:11 PM.
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 01:38 AM   #3
saskuoch
Somebody stole my cheese

I forgot about Lupe Tortilla!

Everyone I know wants to go to Chuy's all the time for Tex-Mex, and while I'm occasionally up for some Creamy J, (creamy jalapeno dip for those of you who don't know), the food and atmosphere at Lupe are superior.
We are, of course, now living in what George W. Bush has called the "era of personal responsibility": if a child chooses to have parents who can't afford health care, that child will have to accept the consequences.
saskuoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 06:19 PM   #4
red
elite rabble

Fadi's Mediterranean (2 locations) Westheimer and on Beechnut (near Meyerland)
Ate there last night on a on friend's recomendation. Very good. I had kibbi, hummus and a Greek salad-reeally good. My husband had (which means me too) a lamb kabob, green beans and rice pasta. It was very clean. The people were very friendly and very patient with me even when I didn't know what I wanted and couldn't make up my mind.
Old 10-04-2002, 01:43 PM   #5
tucker

Some places a little more "out of the way"

They are out of the way so I can't tell you exactly where they are, that would ruin the fun of finding them.

Mama's PoBoy's - Kirby at Richmond in a strip center on the north side. Family owned, and the best Falafal in town.

Last Concert Cafe - Nance St. across from our studio, mexican food (Mama's Plate and a Dos XX with cure any hangover) great patio, ice cold beer. You have to knock twice on the door to get in, (used to be a house of ill repute). Bands 5-6 nights a week.

Lankford Grocery - Dennis St. South of Taft. Tiny, grocery/ice house with awesome - giant hamburgers, sit at a picnic table outside and enjoy the weather.

And there are so many more.
tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 11:45 AM   #6
red
elite rabble

Last Concert Cafe

I checked out their web site. I didn't know Carolyn Wonderland played there! I have one of her CDs and I absolutely love it! I will have to show up on a Tuesday to see her and the Imperial Monkeys.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:38 PM   #7
aprilpam

good eats

For Mexican- out of the way, I know:
LOS CUCOS- 249 & Spring Cypress
(you don't go for the service, but the food is great!)

And of course, for Pizza: Star Pizza on Waugh Dr. YUM.

aprilpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 01:45 PM   #8
JudyPatooty
nudge nudge wink wink

Dang! There are quite a few of us Houstonians who are cool enough to associate with Ze.

I'll add Thelma's BBQ to the list of cool, out of the way dives with really, really, really good food. Just east of 59/Convention Center on Live Oak.

Judy
JudyPatooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 01:52 PM   #9
red
elite rabble

I have to add another good Mexican food place.
Otila's on Longpoint. The place it's self isn't much to look at, but the food is good. And No Tex-Mex, they have that printed EVERYWHERE.
Old 09-21-2003, 07:40 PM   #10
red
elite rabble

I am currently digging Blue Fish House's sushi and I love the Dim Sum at Ocean Palace.
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 02:00 PM   #11
doppelfodder

honk
doppelfodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 08:32 PM   #12
fodder

Quote:
Originally posted by doppelfodder
honk
what!

Display Modes Rate This Thread