ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > GOOD READING
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2002, 03:04 PM   #1
ha_i

Cracking India

I just finished "Cracking India" by Bapsi Sidwa - an informative recounting of the partition of India into India & Pakistan told fro the p.o.v. of a young Parsee girl.

The telling of the story is a little disjointed...but it is similar to how all of us recall our youth - random vivid scenes amongst a vague feeling of a period in time.
ha_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 10:21 PM   #2
em_b

india

I also thought that book was interesting - i think it was assigned to me for school a few years ago, and i didn't think it was very well known outside academia.

it also gives a good picture of indian culture, especially since it deals with the different cultures that overlap there, which became more divided by the british and by the partition.

anybody out there been to india?
em_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 02:23 AM   #3
kpb

India partition

I'll check that one out.

I can also recommend "Freedom at Midnight" by Larry Collins, Dominique Lapierre. It's a straight history of Indian independence and partition (altho somewhat controversial among Indians, for it's viewpoint), but incredibly gripping. It's the only history book I've read that's a page turner -- I couldn't put it down.

K
kpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 11:12 AM   #4
saskuoch
Somebody stole my cheese

If you guys are interested in a literary take on Indian/ Pakistani history, then Salman Rushdie, is a big "of course!". Yeah, too bad we don't like to let him into the US anymore....
We are, of course, now living in what George W. Bush has called the "era of personal responsibility": if a child chooses to have parents who can't afford health care, that child will have to accept the consequences.
saskuoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 02:47 AM   #5
fantastic

A Fine Balance

I just came back from a trip to India. I looked for "A Fine Balance" the whole time I was there but didn't find it and I'm reading it now. It's by Rohinton Mistry. It's fiction- a long story of a family with politics mixed in. It's a great book.
fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 06:09 AM   #6
kpb

Fine Balance etc.

I can also recommend "Fine Balance." Especially if you're from or you've been to India, but that's not a requirement to enjoy it.

The Rushdie book to get is "Midnight's Children." Winner of the Booker Prize, it also gives a good sense of history and "place", but with a mild dose of the fantastical (Rushdie's specialty).

And while we're on the topic, if you want to read a great Indian author, RK Narayan is my all-time fav (he's in my all-time top 3 authors list). He does mostly short stories, but each is a deceptively simple jewel -- some funny, some just meditations, and some extremely powerful and moving. If I had to throw away all my books except for one author, it would probably be him that I'd keep.

K
kpb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: