But it's the pelvic thrust...
That really drives you insane!
Let's do the time-warp again!
NekoPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 08:29 PM   #17
AllegroNg
What I Am Wearing.

Mmm.. hmm.. I'm putting that on Santa's list. I wonder if it comes with a Snape attatchment?
AllegroNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 08:35 PM   #18
NekoPunk
Don't dream it, be it...

*ROTFL!!*

that's hilarious, ng!
You bring your knees in tight...
Old 12-02-2002, 02:33 AM   #19
NekoPunk
Don't dream it, be it...

ohhh.... went to see HP:2... snape is gettin' his fine self on! DANG! then again, though, harry isn't too very far behind him... hmmm...........

Old 12-02-2002, 08:55 AM   #20
balmainbugg

hi all

don't really have much to say but have just registered and figured i may as well post something to see how this forum software works

haven't seen HP2 yet but was pretty disappointed with HP1 - they seemed to miss all the humour of the book - all the quirky characteristics, idiosyncracies and so on.

i disagree that jk rowling was heavy handed with the morality/underpinning themes - kids tend to love those - all stories have them, from alice in wonderland to enid blyton books to the lord of the rings etc etc etc - it's basically the 'hero's journey' once again (and we never seem to tire of that one)

the harry potter series has given me (and other potterphiles i know) a whole new language of metaphor/symbols/whatever. my favourite is the idea of boggarts being pesky imaginary beings that morph into that which you most fear, and that the way to deal with them is to laugh at them. dementors are also very well described - had no trouble whatsoever understanding those

anyway - have rattled on enough - will press "submit" and see what happens...
balmainbugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 02:12 AM   #21
Miss Malevolent
Bitch³

I have read three of the Harry Potter books. And also a book criticizing the Harry Potter books called, "Harry Potter and the Bible."

It calls into question the author's use of ambiguous morality with her characters.

Everytime they do something wrong, they're rewarded by the teachers. The ends always justify the means. And I dunno if that's a message we want to send to children.
Miss Malevolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 02:57 AM   #22
NekoPunk
Don't dream it, be it...

how often, though, in our present "TV" society do characters that always do right get rewarded? hardly ever. but, then, it's been like that for nearly ever. read some shakespearian (sp?) comedies sometime. the ones who strike out and do whats 'wrong' always end up in the right, as long as they stay within a certain limit. *shrugs* if whoever wrote that is just now noticing it, maybe they should read some ~real~ fairy tales and then make a decision. ^_^
Old 12-04-2002, 03:53 AM   #23
Miss Malevolent
Bitch³

Quote:
Originally posted by NekoPunk
how often, though, in our present "TV" society do characters that always do right get rewarded? hardly ever. but, then, it's been like that for nearly ever. read some shakespearian (sp?) comedies sometime. the ones who strike out and do whats 'wrong' always end up in the right, as long as they stay within a certain limit. *shrugs* if whoever wrote that is just now noticing it, maybe they should read some ~real~ fairy tales and then make a decision. ^_^
I don't think he's reading between the lines, it's quite plain.

EVERYTIME Harry or his friends are told to follow a rule, they break it. Read back on it. They rarely (if ever) respect adult authority by following rules. And they don't truly face a punishment for breaking rules. They maybe have harrowing adventures. Or get punished unjustly by teachers that dont' like them. But as for willfully breaking rules, nope.

No kid wants to follow rules. And I'm sure that this, "Harry gets to do what he wants with no punishment" isn't lost on them. That could be one of the reasons the books are so popular.
Miss Malevolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 12:18 PM   #24
NekoPunk
Don't dream it, be it...

i'll repeat, though. in most books that i've read, the protagonist doesn't get to where he's going by following rules. the rules are put down, the "good guy" breaks them just enough to do what he needs, and is then rewarded at the end. that's how english literature is.
Old 12-10-2002, 09:48 PM   #25
catbelly
monkey

I think that usually, though, the rules are broken in the spirit of doing the right thing. The rules are usually restricting the protagonist, causing some good old warring emotions about doing what he/she is told vs. doing the things that will eventually make things right. It's a rite of passage, to use a cliche. Children have to learn to make their own decisions on their journey to adulthood - develop judgement and all that. It's usually made plain that the protagonist has good intentions and that their choice is to do the right thing, as opposed to blindly rebelling against authority, etc.

With that in mind, I disagree with the spin that devices like that teach kids to disrespect authority. IMO it's more about not following along with the rules if the rules don't make sense. However, I *do* think that it's artificial and not to be admired that the HP gang repeatedly goes behind the back of the profs - another important lesson (besides thinking on your own and deciding what's right vs. wrong) is to know when you need help. LOL the HP gang is lucky not to be mashed by Voldemort.
catbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 07:43 PM   #26
AllegroNg
What I Am Wearing.

June 21 yay!
Old 02-03-2003, 09:19 PM   #27
catbelly
monkey

I am slow!

What is happening on June 21... I am slow... surely not the next movie already??
catbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 09:47 AM   #28
argh

IMO, the 3rd and 4th books are really good children's fiction*

the way she draws in so many social and political ideas, and deals with them in an accessible but mature manner, is really quite admirable.

when i have kids, i'm quite sure i'll force them to read HP (or, more realistically, i'll simply nudge them in the direction of Potter, and let the inevitable addiction take hold)

* i haven't read the 1st/2nd. i saw the films on DVD, because at first i, like many of you, was resisting being drawn into the HP fad.
argh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 08:43 AM   #29
AllegroNg
What I Am Wearing.

Argh, you're on the right track.

Argh I love your name. Argh.

I think I said it before here, where I swore I'd never fall into that cult. Then.. I read the books.. and easily was able to see what's wrong with these people - they're in love with an excellent series!

So go read 1 & 2 and preorder 5, dammit
Old 06-02-2003, 11:08 AM   #30
argh

Quote:
Originally posted by AllegroNg
Argh, you're on the right track.

Argh I love your name. Argh.

I think I said it before here, where I swore I'd never fall into that cult. Then.. I read the books.. and easily was able to see what's wrong with these people - they're in love with an excellent series!

So go read 1 & 2 and preorder 5, dammit
thank you. but i can't really take credit for my name -- they're my initials.

and yes, i'm going to read the first two. then when my housemate's pre-ordered copy of #5 comes out, i'll be reading that too.
argh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: