ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #496
Frieda
in limbo

any good sauerkraut recipes anyone??

i know Ysa's sauerkraut soup is delicious-- maybe you should post the recipe!

i'm all up for mashed potatoes & sauerkraut & a sweet something, with sultanas/raisins(what's the difference anyway), i know people add canned fruit but that's really evil. what else should be really nice??

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:34 PM   #497
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

My friend's mom used to put a tart chopped apple in sauerkraut...yum!! She rinsed the sauerkraut, put a fresh apple in, peeled and chopped, and cooked the lot with sausages. I think it would be good without the meat, too, but you might add some caraway seeds while cooking.

I hope you enjoy your meal, sounds great! And sauerkraut has many health benefits -- salut!
brightpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:23 PM   #498
MoJoRiSin
unbelievable

for a lovely /simple meal composed entirely of fermented foods mo recommends this ::

Hi Frieda

One thing that goes very nicely with sauerkraut is tempeh
just slice it and cook it with a bit of oil and a little soy sauce or salt
until it is nicely browned and serve with sauerkraut
..... the person that served this to me insisted
it goes really well with dark beer
not really sure about that
Old 11-29-2009, 03:56 AM   #499
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

I have a lot of pecans. I have a pie crust. I have corn syrup and vanilla. I would like to make pecan pie. If there were chocolate chips involved, I would be really interested.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:30 AM   #500
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

You need eggs, sugar & butter...
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:31 AM   #501
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Also if you have enough pecans, egg whites & cinnamon, you can make some yummy treats.
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:59 AM   #502
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Of course I have all those things! Now cough up a recipe.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:59 PM   #503
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

My dad makes one similar to this one, without the bourbon, but it sounds like a nice addition:

Chocolate Chip Bourbon Pecan Pie
Courtesy of Michele's Pies in Nowalk, Conn.

1 10" piecrust
3 large eggs, room temperature
cup sugar
1 cups dark corn syrup
tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoons bourbon

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and kept warm
1 cup chopped pecans
cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350

Place the eggs, sugar, corn syrup, vanilla and Bourbon in a bowl and mix. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl at least two times while mixing. Add the warm butter. Mix well. Combine the pecans and chocolate chips and sprinkle them on the bottom of the pie shell. Pour the filling over the nuts and chips.

Place the pie on the baking sheet on the bottom shelf of the 350 degree oven and bake it for 30 minutes. The edges of the filling will rise, but the middle will still be a little bouncy. However, the pie will continue to bake after it is removed from the oven. To set up and have it firm enough to slice, give the pie 2 to 3 hours of cooling at room temperature, or a half hour of cooling at room temperature and an hour in the refrigerator.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:30 AM   #504
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Interesting... thank you. I'd have to substitute Crown Royal...
Old 05-25-2010, 09:39 PM   #505
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

Official recipe for U.S. Military grade Brownies
(abridged significantly from the original 26 pages)
3.2.5.3 Nuts, walnuts, shelled. Shelled walnut pieces shall be of the small piece size classification, shall be of a light color, and shall be U.S. No. 1 of the U.S. Standards for Shelled English Walnuts. A minimum of 90 percent, by weight, of the pieces shall pass through a 4/16-inch diameter round hole screen and not more than 1 percent, by weight, shall pass through a 2/16-inch diameter round hole screen. the shelled walnuts shall be coated with an approved food grade antioxidant and shall be of the latest season's crop.
3.2.6 Whole eggs, liquid or frozen. Whole eggs may be liquid or frozen and shall have been processed and labeled in accordance with the Regulations Governing the Inspection of Eggs and Egg Products (7 CFR Part 59). The whole eggs shall be egg whites and egg yolks in their natural proportions as broken directly from the shell eggs as evidenced by a USDA Egg Products Inspection Certificate. For liquid whole eggs, the USDA certificate shall state the date and time of pasteurization. Liquid whole eggs shall be held at a temperature of 400F or lower and shall be held for not more than 72 hours from the time of pasteurization until the start of formulation of the product in which they are used. Frozen whole eggs shall be held at 100F or lower and used within 120 days from the date of production. The whole eggs shall be free from off-odors and off-flavors, such as sulfide-like, fruity, sour, musty, or metallic, and shall be free from foreign materials.
3.2.7 Water. Water used for ice making, formulation, and washing shall conform to the National Primary Drinking Water Regulations.
3.2.8 Cocoa. Cocoa shall be natural process cocoa of the type known as medium fat cocoa.
3.2.15 Vitamins. Vitamin A shall be a refined concentrate of vitamin A ester (palmitate). When added to the chocolate or confections, it shall not impart a fishy or objectionable odor or flavor to the finished product. Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and thiamine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, and pyridoxine hydrochloride shall be of Food Chemicals Codex grade.
3.2.16 Pregelatinized starch. Pregelatinized starch shall be derived from corn, tapioca, or any other farinaceous product. It shall be precooked and processed to produce a food grade thickener stabilizer of a white color and a powdery texture.
3.2.19 Fat. Vegetable fat for the chocolate coating shall be natural or hydrogenated coconut, palm kernel, babasu, tucum, or other high lauric acid oils or mixtures thereof, or a mixture of one or more of these which not more than 25 percent hydrogenated peanut oil or cottonseed oil, or both combined. The fats shall have a minimum stability of 100 hours when measured by the active oxygen method (AOM). They shall retain satisfactory odor, flavor, and color after heating to a temperature of 4000F. The free fatty acid content shall be not greater than 0.08 percent prior to the addition of an antioxidant mixture or 0.1 percent after the addition of antioxidant mixture A, B, C, D, or E specified in 3.2.19.1. The moisture and volatile matter shall not exceed 0.1 percent after the addition of antioxidant mixture A, B, C, D, or E. The fat shall be adequately protected against oxidative rancidity, at time of manufacture or by the processor, by the addition of 0.1 percent by weight of an antioxidant mixture specified in 3.2.19.1. The melting point and solid fat indices shall be as follows:
Wiley Melting Point:
1170F to 1190
Antioxidants shall comply with the Food Chemical Codex.
3.3 Brownie, oatmeal cookie and chocolate coating preparation and processing.
3.3.1 Brownie formula. The formula for the brownie shall be as follows:
Ingredient
Parts by weight
Sugar 1/ 23.0
Flour 2/ 21.0
Shortening 16.8
Nuts 3/ 16.0
whole eggs (liquid basis) 4/ 5/ 13.0
Cocoa 5.5
Dextrose, anhydrous 4.4
Salt .03
Chemical leavening
As required
Flavoring
Trace
1/ Powdered sugar may be substituted for part of the granulated sugar to control spread.
2/ Pregelatinized starch, malted barley flour, wheat gluten or any combination thereof may be substituted for a part of the flour to obtain proper dough consistency.
3/ Nuts shall be either almonds, pecans, or walnuts or any combination thereof.
4/ Frozen whole eggs shall be tempered/thawed and held at an internal temperature of 280F to 400F for not more than 24 hours prior to product preparation.
5/ Whole eggs, dried, may be substituted for whole eggs (liquid basis) by following the manufacturer's recommended rehydration and mixing procedures and shall have no less than the equivalent amount of whole egg solids as the liquid basis. The water shall be adjusted to ensure compliance with moisture requirements of the baked brownie prior to coating.
3.3.2 Brownie preparation. (NOTE: The contractor is not required to follow the exact procedure shown below provided that the brownies conform to all finished product requirements in 3.4.)
a. Whip eggs in large bowl on high speed until light and fluffy.
b. Combine sugars, cocoa, salt, and leavening; add to beaten eggs, and whip on high speed until thick.
c. Add shortening slowly while mixing on low speed.
d. Scrape bowl and whip on high speed until thick.
e. Mix flour, nuts, and flavors together and fold into batter; mix until uniform.
f. Pour batter into pan at a rate that will yield uncoated brownies which, when cut such as to meet the dimension requirements specified in 3.4f, will weigh approximately 35 grams each. (Experimentally, a panning rate of 14 to 16 grams per square inch was used.)
g. Bake at 3500F until done (30 to 45 minutes).
3.3.3 Brownie cutting. The brownies shall be cut to the appropriate size when cool (see 3.4f).
3.3.4 Brownie moisture content. The moisture content of the uncoated brownie shall be not more than 8.0 percent.
3.3.5 Brownie coating. The brownies shall be completely enrobed with a continuous uniform chocolate coating (see 3.2.14) in an amount which shall be not less than 29 percent by weight of the finished product.

Last edited by brightpearl : 05-25-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #506
MoJoRiSin
unbelievable

^ that made me chuckle far more than the
comic strip
come to think of it...
Old 06-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #507
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

New favorite recipe for Tomato Tart, could have eaten the whole thing myself.

crust:
1/2 c each all-purpose and soft white whole wheat flours
2 T butter cut into the flour, but leave some little lumps
2 T canola oil
pinch of salt
a few T ice water to make it come together...or just buy one.
Roll out, bake in a 10" tart pan at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.

Filling:
Roast some halved grape or cherry tomatoes at 225 degrees for a couple of hours, with some olive oil. Use about 1/2 c packed for this recipe, and eat the other ones on toast! They keep in the fridge really well.

Slice a whole red onion and saute on medium with a T of olive oil, 1 tsp balsamic vinegar, and 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (trust me).

Spread the onions and tomatoes in the tart shell, sprinkle with an ounce or two of shredded cheese (provolone, fontina, swiss...whatever).

Beat 2 eggs with 1/4 c of milk or half and half, 1/4 tsp salt, lots of cracked black pepper, and 1/2 tsp dried basil, and pour over.
Press filling down into the egg mixture a bit, and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until puffed and not jiggly. It's good hot or at room temp.

Really, really good.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #508
Frieda
in limbo

salad for hot days

(it has minerals and vitamins and things and who cares because it tastes good anyway)

cherry tomatoes
radishes
kiwi fruit
chopped fresh basil
pinch of salt

^ stick em in a bowl together and eat.

oh yeah
Old 06-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #509
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

I cannot believe that it took me this long to find out you can do this...there are tons of recipes for it online. The butter flavoring in microwave popcorn is bad for the lungs, and all the fat and salt in it is bad for the heart, plus it is like 5 or 6 dollars a pound, but it's a bit of a hassle to pop it at home otherwise. UNTIL NOW.

Homemade Microwave Popcorn
1/4 to 1/2 cup of plain old popcorn
1 brown paper lunch sack
Optional - 1/2-1 tsp canola oil or butter, 1/4-1/2 tsp salt, or garlic salt, plus some black pepper if you like, or parmesan, or crumbled nori

Toss in the bag, fold over the top a couple of times, and microwave for 2 or 3 minutes, until there's only a pop every 2 seconds or so. Makes like 30 bags for a couple of bucks! And no popcorn lung!

I thought it might burst into flame or something, but I've had 3 bags in the last 24 hours, and so far it is only delicious delicious corny popcorn goodness.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #510
Frieda
in limbo

Hassle to pop popcorn? Pan, oil, herbs & a metal sieve do the trick.. I'll try the paper bag for fun. I have to admit i like to wait for the first few ploinks, run to the pan in excitement and watch the rest go under the sieve.

oh yeah

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: