ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FICTION PROJECT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 190 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #4231
Marcus Bales

Location: In a coign of the cliff between lowland and highland, at the sea-down's edge between windward and lee, walled round with rocks as an inland island, the ghost of a garden fronts the sea.
brephophagist - two penises, over/under. c2 krephophagist, two penises, side by side.

Though when she said her first shy "Yes", she had no idea, Lukku was startled by her sudden and intimate discovery that Bman was brephophagist.

Last edited by Marcus Bales : 12-02-2010 at 05:21 PM. Reason: adding adjectives
Marcus Bales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:54 PM   #4232
lukkucairi
earth worker

Well alrighty there folks.

Given the fact that a brephophagist is an eater of babies, I see fit to award the prizes thusly:

To xfox, the runner up with this strong entry:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfox View Post
Brephophagist. a species of primates who can illuminate body parts, and cause their fluids to change color at will.

Inviting brephophagists to your holiday party demands a camera, you wouldn't believe it!
...I give the Build-Your-Own-Illuminati prize, which is a time machine set for the paleolithic and a gross of glowy wristbands. Have fun being the very first shaman.

Coffee gets the Wince Award for this beaut:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
brephophagist- n.

From ancient Greece, the original planned title for the first ever employee in the job of "oratorical speech pre-planning consultation and post-writing redundancy and grammatical error elimination". The title was in usage for only 2 days until interviews were complete and the job was filled. The first task of new position, of course, was to rename job title, and task name, to "Editor" and "Editing".
Congratulations, sir, you will be receiving a thousand-year subscription to the National Enquirer. The tabloid will be encoded into your DNA with new versions downloaded directly into your brain on a weekly basis. This trait will be heritable, so the next 50 generations of your descendants will also be thanking you for your participation in the Dictionary Game.

To Ysa, the Entomological Neurosis prize:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YsaPur EsChomuw View Post
brephophagist - a pathologically nervous person who consumes butterflies to quench their fear of the unknown.
...watch the post for a box of official Lepidopterans of America insect pins and a case of Black Velvet whiskey.

the Welcome Back Kotter award goes to dddrum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrum View Post
Cleverwise, I would say Coffee is spot on. In terms of an educamated guess, however, wouldn't a BREPHOPHAGIST be a mint favored by vampires? Just askin'.

[What? I was out of shower gel. I came right back.

It's a hard-to-find brand, all right?

Anyway, look how clean...]
Enjoy your case of Mintberry Crunch breakfast cereal, watch out for those vampires, and you might not want to stand too close to...

...Hfoxy, who wins a guest appearance on "Hoarders" and a pair of industrial neoprene gloves for this entry:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyakujo's Fox View Post
brephophagist (n) a person who collects dirty underwear, and I mean dirty.
Brynnie, you have encapsulated my entire sixth-grade year with the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynn View Post
brephophagist - one who is skilled at talking while burping.

Steve, a seventh-grader and expert brephophagist, was able to routinely enthrall cafeteria audiences with his "Ali Baba," and "Pardon Me" offerings until he met his match in Trevor, who upped the ante with "Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves" and "Pardon Me Please For Burping."
A case of Tagamet is in the mail. Spike the milk for their breakfast cereal and they'll never notice.

...aaand the ever-prolific Bales once again wins the You-Didn't-Win-The-Dictionary-Game prize, which consists of me collecting all his entries together here in one place for him:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Bales View Post
brephophagist - one of the three kinds of gist in a fall of scree at the bottom of a slope of a mountain, phalangist is the finer, approximately pea-sized gravelly gist; suffragist is the next larger layer underneath, composed of golf-ball to soft-ball sized rocks; and brephophagist, the layer of rocks approximately baby-sized.

By the time they'd dug through the phalangist and suffragist layers to the brephophagist, they had to admit that their hopes and chances of finding the bodies were as crushed as, well, as the bodies probably were.
Quote:
brephophagist - One of two characters in Fritz Lieber's first draft, Brephophagist was paired with the Gay Mousketeer.
Quote:
brephophagist - Sanskrit bresso (urban area) + sagi (wise): a sophisticate, a person of the city, one widely educated in things of this world, often used in a faintly disparaging way, as of a degenerate.

At first, Lukku enjoyed Bman's brephophagist ways, but they soon palled, and she let the affair sink quietly into oblivion.
Quote:
brephophagist - two penises, over/under. c2 krephophagist, two penises, side by side.

Though when she said her first shy "Yes", she had no idea, Lukku was startled by her sudden and intimate discovery that Bman was brephophagist.
Quote:
brephophagist - the ancient Greek for what the Romans called cunnilingus: a clever person who speaks several languages.

Bman surprised Lukku while they were sorting her boxes by demonstrating his ability as a brephophagist.
If you need me, I'll be in the other room with Bman, writing jokes in Latin for our upcoming Roast of Marcus Bales.

Coffee, in honor of your 47th birthday and your restraint in only posting two DG entries, you win the GRAND PRIZE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
Brephophagist:

Any member of the taxonomic domain of Brephophag, sucrose based life forms theorized to exist for only as long as until another creature discovers it. The absence of any fossil records is metaphysical proof that brephopags are the tastiest creatures in the universe, and incapable of surviving long enough to reproduce.
You'll be receiving a bottle of Iowa's Finest High Fructose Corn Syrup and the magical ability to pick the next word for us.

Take it away, my caffeinated friend!
lukkucairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #4233
Coffee
Cheeses Save

Friends don't make friends win The Dictionary Game.

Unusual game in that we all like to play it, but I think we all loath to win.

Have at:
qiviut
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:52 AM   #4234
Marcus Bales

Location: In a coign of the cliff between lowland and highland, at the sea-down's edge between windward and lee, walled round with rocks as an inland island, the ghost of a garden fronts the sea.
qiviut - Medieval Latin aqua vītae, "water of life". The word whiskey is derived from the Gaelic equivalent of this phrase. An apocryphal story holds that qiviut actually means "water from the vine", a picturesque folk etymology derived through conflation of Latin vītae (genitive of vita) with the Italian vite (vine). Qiviut is distilled from either grain or potatoes, and flavored with herbs, spices, and fruit oils such as caraway seeds, cardamom, cumin, anise, lemon or orange peel, or fennel.

Qiviut is often preceded or followed by a swig of beer. Connoisseurs lament this practice because beer ruins the flavor and aftertaste.

In Sweden it is a staple of the traditional midsummer celebrations dinner, usually drunk while singing one of many drinking songs. I have a modest example here:

Qiviut, qiviut,
Qiviut drinking
All in the valley of snow
Doing no thinking
“Upward your glasses raise!
Snap back your head!” he said
Inside the valley of snow,
Doing no thinking.

Bring them along in trays!
Snap every shot-glass back
With nobody shrinking!”
Ours not to make reply
Ours not to put one by
Ours but to drink and why?
We’re in the valley of snow
Doing no thinking.

Bottles to the right of us
Bottles to the left of us
Bottles in front of us
Cockeyed and empty;
Laughing and liquored up
Playful as any pup
Looking for girls to tup
Doing no thinking.

Flashed all our bodies bare
Flashed in the freezing air
Diving in water where
Ice isn’t melting there
All of us shrinking;
Plunged in the icy waves
Cold as our final graves
Jolly old Swedish raves!
Doing no thinking

What can our glory tell?
When, in hangover hell
Groaning and sinking,
Vomit and splitting head
Wishing that we were dead
Doing no thinking.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #4235
MoJoRiSin
unbelievable

its a machine invented by Harry
Quiet (his named was changed dramatically when he arrived at Ellis Island from Germany as the 2 dot thingy confused the intake person but it was her first day and did not want to appear stupid) anyhgow the machine is used to form bells and also ornamentation for open sleighs.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:44 AM   #4236
Coffee
Cheeses Save

wtf...has this word been used already?

get some defs in quick, or the judging will be blissfully easy...and nobody wants that.

wait...
Old 12-10-2010, 03:23 PM   #4237
Brynn
constantly amazed

qiviut - a courtesy call to say "hi!" accompanied by a pat on the hiney.
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #4238
funkytuba
Spone to Proonerisms

qiviut - practical joke played in cultures in which archery is a major part of food procurement

A partial hole is created in the bottom of the target's arrow-carrying device and a false bottom is put in over the top of a cache of brown pudding-like substance, then arrows on top so as to make it appear that all is normal.

Later, during the hunt, perhaps after a particularly good shot by the target, the prankster would congratulate the target with a distracting pat on the back which disguises pulling out the rest of the hole, the pudding-like substance then being free to soak the back of the pants of the target making for mirth and embarrassments on the way back to camp.

Last edited by funkytuba : 12-10-2010 at 05:23 PM.
funkytuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:18 AM   #4239
Marcus Bales

qiviut - an 'Easter Egg' or 'gift word' in Scrabble and scrabble-type games, it has no meaning in any known language, except for its relatively high-scoring letters in the game.

No one was surprised when Neil played 'qiviut' across a triple word score square, with the q on a triple letter score square, for 120 points.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:07 AM   #4240
lukkucairi
earth worker

qiviut - A game in which triangular wooden hoops are thrown onto spears planted butt-first into the sacred black volcanic sand of a certain beach in northern Vanuatu. Always played only after all participants have downed a healthy serving of kava. The winners are awarded custody of the qiviutanga, a ceremonial pig, which they are required to massage daily with coconut oil for the next two years. The losers are used as shark bait.
lukkucairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:56 AM   #4241
Marcus Bales

qiviut - the secret ingredient in Coca-Cola.

While she was slumped over dozing and hidden during the final push to completion of her project, a lightsculpture she'd been commissioned to make for the President of Coca-Cola's office, Lukkucairi overheard the final negotiations with Coke's secret supplier, a tribe of Amazonian rainforest aborigines, for the next year's supply of qiviut.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:09 PM   #4242
Coffee
Cheeses Save

Okees, the definitions are in!

The actual boring definition of qiviut (purloined from dictionary.com word of the day...several days ago, hence the lack of typical nautical theme)
qiv·i·ut [kee-vee-uh t, -oot] –noun
the soft, dense, light-brown woolly undercoat of the musk ox, used in making fabrics.
Origin:
1955–60; < Inuit

But the board came up with stuff much better than a bunch of chilly Eskimos did for such a fabulous word.

Marcus Bales wins a "watery" coke...make it a double of course...and free admission into the Zeboard scrabble thread when it is created, for his multiple submissions of:

Quote:
qiviut - Medieval Latin aqua vītae, "water of life". The word whiskey is derived from the Gaelic equivalent of this phrase. An apocryphal story holds that qiviut actually means "water from the vine", a picturesque folk etymology derived through conflation of Latin vītae (genitive of vita) with the Italian vite (vine). Qiviut is distilled from either grain or potatoes, and flavored with herbs, spices, and fruit oils such as caraway seeds, cardamom, cumin, anise, lemon or orange peel, or fennel.

Qiviut is often preceded or followed by a swig of beer. Connoisseurs lament this practice because beer ruins the flavor and aftertaste.

In Sweden it is a staple of the traditional midsummer celebrations dinner, usually drunk while singing one of many drinking songs. I have a modest example here:

Qiviut, qiviut,
Qiviut drinking
All in the valley of snow
Doing no thinking
Snap back your head!” he said
Inside the valley of snow,
Doing no thinking.

Bring them along in trays!
Snap every shot-glass back
With nobody shrinking!”
Ours not to make reply
Ours not to put one by
Ours but to drink and why?
We’re in the valley of snow
Doing no thinking.

Bottles to the right of us
Bottles to the left of us
Bottles in front of us
Cockeyed and empty;
Laughing and liquored up
Playful as any pup
Looking for girls to tup
Doing no thinking.

Flashed all our bodies bare
Flashed in the freezing air
Diving in water where
Ice isn’t melting there
All of us shrinking;
Plunged in the icy waves
Cold as our final graves
Jolly old Swedish raves!
Doing no thinking

What can our glory tell?
When, in hangover hell
Groaning and sinking,
Vomit and splitting head
Wishing that we were dead
Doing no thinking.
and
Quote:
qiviut - the secret ingredient in Coca-Cola.

While she was slumped over dozing and hidden during the final push to completion of her project, a lightsculpture she'd been commissioned to make for the President of Coca-Cola's office, Lukkucairi overheard the final negotiations with Coke's secret supplier, a tribe of Amazonian rainforest aborigines, for the next year's supply of qiviut.
and
Quote:
qiviut - an 'Easter Egg' or 'gift word' in Scrabble and scrabble-type games, it has no meaning in any known language, except for its relatively high-scoring letters in the game.

No one was surprised when Neil played 'qiviut' across a triple word score square, with the q on a triple letter score square, for 120 points.

MojoRiSin
immigrates again into TDG with a holiday-esque deffi' winning herself a holiday sleigh ride, without having to take the drivers seat this time, for a submission of:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoRiSin View Post
its a machine invented by Harry
Quiet (his named was changed dramatically when he arrived at Ellis Island from Germany as the 2 dot thingy confused the intake person but it was her first day and did not want to appear stupid) anyhgow the machine is used to form bells and also ornamentation for open sleighs.
I'm just gonna give our lovely Brynn a brief qiviut and a free pass out of judging the next round for a delightfully brief:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynn View Post
qiviut - a courtesy call to say "hi!" accompanied by a pat on the hiney.
Second runner up...only because she had just done a judging or frankly, this would have been the winner...( spoiler alert! )sorry Funky . Eskimos (and I) only wish they had had the resources and fine weather to have come up with Lukku's definition submission of:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukkucairi View Post
qiviut - A game in which triangular wooden hoops are thrown onto spears planted butt-first into the sacred black volcanic sand of a certain beach in northern Vanuatu. Always played only after all participants have downed a healthy serving of kava. The winners are awarded custody of the qiviutanga, a ceremonial pig, which they are required to massage daily with coconut oil for the next two years. The losers are used as shark bait.
AND OUR WINNAH
Funky T. made me belly laugh, and thus secures dreaded first place in line for this TDG (That Damn Game) round (and on any future hunting trips) for his submission of:
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkytuba View Post
qiviut - practical joke played in cultures in which archery is a major part of food procurement

A partial hole is created in the bottom of the target's arrow-carrying device and a false bottom is put in over the top of a cache of brown pudding-like substance, then arrows on top so as to make it appear that all is normal.

Later, during the hunt, perhaps after a particularly good shot by the target, the prankster would congratulate the target with a distracting pat on the back which disguises pulling out the rest of the hole, the pudding-like substance then being free to soak the back of the pants of the target making for mirth and embarrassments on the way back to camp.

Take it away Tuba!

and a one, and a two...
Old 12-16-2010, 08:54 PM   #4243
funkytuba
Spone to Proonerisms

Next word:

nidifice

go.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:28 AM   #4244
Marcus Bales

nidifice - a construct made out of inappropriate materials, for example, a Christmas tree made out of driftwood.

Christmas in the Islands
Thanks to David Weinstock,
who told me about a Christmas tree made of driftwood

It’s funny how late in December
Memories catch him off guard
It’s years since he's had any presents
And nobody sends him a card

There's a Christmas tree made out of driftwood
That each year he has to repair
With colorful fruit taped to branches
Tinseled with coconut hair

He wipes at his eye -- some lotion
Or maybe the blinding bright beach
He listens to steel drums and ocean
Ringing each to each

And every year up until midnight
Knowing no Santa will come
He sits in the breeze and the moonlight
Drinking a bottle of rum.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:51 PM   #4245
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

nidifice: A one-way barrier that once crossed, cannot be retraversed.

On the occasion of her 55th birthday, Blanche pondered the nidifice presented by the term "middle age," and wisely decided it was time to cross over.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: