ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2007, 08:10 PM   #136
craig johnston
dalai clique

Location: tea leaf towers - home of fine musical entertainment
on the u-bahn news i read, with horror, that britney's wig fell
off in a men's toilet (for u.s. readers -bathroom).

Old 06-08-2007, 04:53 AM   #137
craig johnston
dalai clique

Wheelchair man gets highway ride

A wheelchair user has been taken for a high-speed ride along a US highway after his handlebars became tangled up in the front grille of a lorry.
The back of the 21-year-old man's wheelchair was scooped up as he passed in front of a lorry leaving a petrol station, Michigan state police said.

The truck driver drove off, completely unaware that he had a new passenger.

Passing motorists told police, who found the man unhurt - but still attached to the front of the truck.

He had been kept in his wheelchair by a seatbelt.

Police in the town of Paw Paw, Michigan, said the unidentified man told them "it was quite a ride", but complained only that he had spilled his soda.

The truck reached speeds of 50mph (80km/h) as it drove down the Red Arrow Highway.

After several miles the driver pulled over at the depot of a trucking company where police then told him about the man on his front end.

He refused to believe there was a man in a wheelchair stuck to the front of his truck until he saw it for himself, police said.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:35 AM   #138
daverbee
Key Lime Pie rocks!!!

Maybe this guy should try that:

Man Told He Was Too Disabled To Fly

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A Jacksonville man who's confined to a wheelchair said he was not allowed on an airplane because of his disability.

Andy Gates has dystonia -- a neuro-muscular disease. He said he should be in Wisconsin, but he is still in Jacksonville because while getting ready to board a U.S. Airways flight on Wednesday airline workers told him they could not let him travel on his own.

"They said I was too disabled to fly alone. I don't have enough words to describe how angry I am," Gates said.

He said he wanted to fly to Wisconsin from Jacksonville. He checked his bags at the ticket counter and waited at the gate to get on the plane, but just before he started to board he said a U.S. Airways employee would not let him on the plane.

"We went to the gate and they told me I could not fly. not alone," Gates said.

He said after being told he was too disabled to fly he felt outraged and discriminated against.

Gates told Channel 4 that he's flown seven times in the past by himself, even on U.S. Airways, and never had a problem.

Gates said the airline manager told him at the last minute that he could fly if his mother, Patsy Gates, accompanied him.

"He says to me, 'You have six minutes to make a decision on whether to go. You can go with him or he cannot go. You have six minutes,'" she said. "Meanwhile, I am parked in a 30 minutes parking zone, and I'm having surgery tomorrow, and they did not guarantee me a way back."

The airline issued a statement on Thursday stating: "U.S. Airways personnel determined that (Gates) would not be able to assist in his own evacuation in the event of an emergency. We feel that our employees acted appropriately and followed both company and federal policy in this situation."

The Department of Transportation handles complaints, like that of Gates. There is a law in place that says a person with mobility impairment so severe that they are unable to assist evacuation can be denied travel.

However, Gates said he can move and demonstrated that he is able to get into his chair. He said he offered to show that to the airline.

He said he could control his legs and arms.

"I have a college degree. I am completely intelligent. I can make my own decisions. I don't know why I was denied," Gates said.

The airline said it would refund Gates' money, but it could take several days. Gates said he planning to take a flight on a different airline on Saturday.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:41 PM   #139
craig johnston
dalai clique

from the BBC:

US military pondered love not war

The US military investigated building a "gay bomb", which would make enemy soldiers "sexually irresistible" to each other, government papers say.
Other weapons that never saw the light of day include one to make soldiers obvious by their bad breath.

The US defence department considered various non-lethal chemicals meant to disrupt enemy discipline and morale.

The 1994 plans were for a six-year project costing $7.5m, but they were never pursued.

The US Air Force Wright Laboratory in Dayton, Ohio, sought Pentagon funding for research into what it called "harassing, annoying and 'bad guy'-identifying chemicals".
The plans were obtained under the US Freedom of Information by the Sunshine Project, a group which monitors research into chemical and biological weapons.

'Who? Me?'

The plan for a so-called "love bomb" envisaged an aphrodisiac chemical that would provoke widespread homosexual behaviour among troops, causing what the military called a "distasteful but completely non-lethal" blow to morale.

Scientists also reportedly considered a "sting me/attack me" chemical weapon to attract swarms of enraged wasps or angry rats towards enemy troops.

A substance to make the skin unbearably sensitive to sunlight was also pondered.

Another idea was to develop a chemical causing "severe and lasting halitosis", so that enemy forces would be obvious even when they tried to blend in with civilians.

In a variation on that idea, researchers pondered a "Who? Me?" bomb, which would simulate flatulence in enemy ranks.

Indeed, a "Who? Me?" device had been under consideration since 1945, the government papers say.

However, researchers concluded that the premise for such a device was fatally flawed because "people in many areas of the world do not find faecal odour offensive, since they smell it on a regular basis".

Captain Dan McSweeney of the Joint Non-Lethal Weapons Directorate at the Pentagon said the defence department receives "literally hundreds" of project ideas, but that "none of the systems described in that [1994] proposal have been developed".

He told the BBC: "It's important to point out that only those proposals which are deemed appropriate, based on stringent human effects, legal, and international treaty reviews are considered for development or acquisition."
Old 06-13-2007, 08:05 PM   #140
Tunesmith
click click click

Woman jailed for testicle attack

Amanda Monti, 24, flew into a rage when Geoffrey Jones, 37, rejected her advances at the end of a house party, Liverpool Crown Court heard.

She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying: "That's yours."

Monti admitted wounding and was jailed for two-and-a-half years.

Sentencing Monti, Judge Charles James said it was "a very serious injury" and that Monti was not acting in self defence.

The court heard that Mr Jones had ended his long-term but "open relationship" with Monti towards the end of May last year.

The pair remained on good terms and on 30 May she picked him up from a party in Crosby and went back for drinks with friends at Mr Jones's house.

An argument ensued and Mr Jones said there was a struggle between them.

In his statement, Mr Jones said she grabbed his genitals and "pulled hard".

He added: "That caused my underpants to come off and I found I was completely naked and in excruciating pain."

The court heard that a friend saw Monti put Mr Jones's testicle into her mouth and try to swallow it.

She choked and spat it back into her hand before the friend grabbed it and gave it back to Mr Jones. Doctors were unable to re-attach the organ.

In a letter to the court, Monti said she was sorry for what she had done.

She said: "It was never my intention to cause harm to Geoff and the fact that I have caused him injury will live with me forever. I am in no way a violent person."

The letter added: "I have challenged myself to explain what has happened but still I just cannot remember. This has caused much anguish to me and will do for the rest of my life."

-www.bbc.co.uk
Old 06-15-2007, 08:02 PM   #141
zenbabe
Lollypop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunesmith View Post
[b]
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying: "That's yours."
-www.bbc.co.uk
I don't think that I could be that kind of friend.

-Dr. Seuss
zenbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 01:32 AM   #142
zenbabe
Lollypop!

(06-15) 19:24 PDT Antioch, Calif. (AP) --

Kim Mayorga was confused when her 2-year-old started making funny faces and pushing away the apple juice he had ordered at Applebee's. The explanation came when she opened the lid of the sippy cup and was hit by the smell of tequila and Triple Sec.

The restaurant staff accidentally gave Julian Mayorga a margarita Monday. He grew drowsy and started vomiting a few hours later and was rushed to the hospital.

"I wasn't going to make a big deal about it," the mother told the Contra Costa Times on Thursday, "but then he got sick."

The apple juice and margarita mix were stored in identical plastic bottles, and the manager mistakenly grabbed the margarita container to pour the boy's drink, said Randy Tei, vice president for Apple Bay East Inc., which owns the franchise restaurant and nine other Applebee's in the San Francisco Bay area.

The Mayorgas will be reimbursed for their medical bills, and Tei said the franchise group's restaurants will no longer serve apple juice and margaritas in similar containers.

"We absolutely believe it was an honest mistake," Tei said.

The serving appeared to have been accidental, Antioch police Lt. Pat Welch said. Mayorga said her son is now doing fine.

She said the company has been very apologetic and offered free meals, but she added, "If they think I'm going back there, they're ridiculous."

-Dr. Seuss
Old 06-16-2007, 01:40 AM   #143
auntie aubrey
excursions

applebees once served my 14-year-old cousin a hard lemonade because they confused it with regular lemonade.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:01 PM   #144
zenbabe
Lollypop!

PANTS!

Judge aims to have pants suit ironed out next week

POSTED: 11:29 a.m. EDT, June 18, 2007

Story Highlights

Final arguments ended Wednesday in a $54 million lawsuit over pants
Judge chided plaintiff for rambling, repetitive, inaccurate presentation
Plaintiff took superior service promise literally, cited consumer law
Judge plans to issue a written ruling next week

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A multimillion-dollar lawsuit against a dry cleaners has focused on the term "satisfaction guaranteed" and where to draw the line when a customer demands satisfaction over a pair of trousers he says were lost.

The customer, and plaintiff, is District of Columbia administrative law judge Roy Pearson. He's demanding up to $54 million, citing the city's consumer law to bolster his case for taking literally a promise of superior service.

A sign that hung for years at the countertop of Custom Cleaners in the nation's capital said "satisfaction guaranteed," and Pearson maintains that promise is unconditional. The defendant's attorney says Pearson's lawsuit is about revenge, financial desperation and distress over the customer's unrelated divorce. (Watch why Pearson initially wanted $65 million )

The shop's owners say that the pants were found long ago, and that the customer has refused to accept the clothing as his.

"Economically, emotionally and healthwise as well, it has been extremely hard for us," Soo Chung, a Korean woman who started the business with her husband, Jin Chung, testified through an interpreter. She described how Pearson, preparing for his lawsuit, "would just come by the store at any time, taking pictures."

Pearson so far has accepted $150 from the dry cleaners and continues to assert the pants found are not his.

Final arguments in the case concluded Wednesday, and the judge plans to issue a written ruling next week. District of Columbia Judge Judith Bartnoff frequently chided Pearson for a presentation that at times was rambling, repetitive, and inaccurate when it came to case law.

"I'm very concerned about it," the judge said. "You're standing here as a lawyer, making an argument, and you have an obligation to the court about what the cases are about."

At times, Bartnoff was amused with Pearson's presentation. On Wednesday, the administrative law judge, in a gray suit and a stained lavender tie, used a 6-inch-thick binder of laws and court decisions that he said supported his case, the Reuters news agency reported.

An enlarged snapshot that Pearson took of the "satisfaction guaranteed" sign became a centerpiece of the trial. The gray, cuffed pants, carefully bagged and on a hanger -- dry-cleaning tag attached -- arrived with the family in the courtroom and hung from the judge's bench throughout the day.

In closing arguments, defense attorney Christopher Manning said "the reasonable interpretation of the sign is by no means what Mr. Pearson says it is."

"Does the sign read: 'If you are not satisfied with our service, you, the customer, can ask for whatever you want, including $67 million, and you will receive it?" he asked, Reuters reported.

"It is not an unconditional guarantee of satisfaction. That would be ludicrous," Manning said. "He is entitled only, at most, the value of the garment."

Although he is representing himself, Pearson seeks millions of dollars in attorney fees and millions more in punitive damages for what he believes is fraudulent advertising under the law. He says he will donate some of any judgment to a consumer education fund.

Pearson reduced his original demand for $67 million to the current $54 million last month, Reuters said. He said the figure reflects fines that have accrued for the four years allowed under a statute of limitations, and it reflects other costs, such as $15,000 to rent a car to he used to drive to another dry cleaning shop, Reuters reported.

-Dr. Seuss
Old 06-18-2007, 03:34 PM   #145
Gatsby
I used to be a girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbabe View Post

administrative law judge
heh.
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:28 PM   #146
zenbabe
Lollypop!

His brain "broke"

Fake NYC Fireman Who Abused Woman Makes Leniency Plea

POSTED: 6:55 am EDT June 15, 2007
Email This Story | Print This Story

NEW YORK -- In a letter to the judge who will sentence him, a fashion journalist convicted of a strange and savage sexual assault on a former co-worker seems to concede a key prosecution point: that he planned the crime.

But at the same time, Peter Braunstein says he is indeed mentally ill.

"In fact, I did plan the crime intently," Braunstein tells state Supreme Court Justice Thomas Farber in the letter. "The madness resides in the fact that I had no motive or intent. Thus, once I attacked the victim, I had no idea why I was there, or what to do."

Braunstein, 43, was found guilty of kidnapping, robbing and sexually molesting the victim while wearing firefighting gear. Set to be sentenced Monday, he wrote to Farber asking for leniency.

In the nine-page letter, Braunstein, now in the psychiatric ward at Bellevue Hospital, says he spent his first 41 years "crime-free until my psyche burst apart and suicide became my organizing principal."

Dressed as a firefighter, Braunstein set fires in the hallway outside the victim's Manhattan apartment, bluffed his way into her home, drugged her, tied her to a bed, stripped her naked except for stiletto-heeled sandals he put on her feet and videotaped her.

Defense lawyer Robert Gottlieb argued at trial that Braunstein's brain "broke," that he was too mentally ill to be able to form the intent to commit the crime and therefore should not be held criminally responsible.

A Manhattan jury took less than four hours in May to convict Braunstein on various charges in the Halloween 2005 attack on his former colleague at Fairchild Publications, parent of Women's Wear Daily and W magazine.

Braunstein faces up to 25 years to life in prison on the top charge, kidnapping.

"I did not consider rape or murder, and the robbery I committed was of three random items of women's clothing I had no intention of reselling," Braunstein's letter to the judge says. "The 'robbery' was a whim just like the rest of the crime."

The issue of Braunstein's mental illness is still an "unresolved enigma," says his letter, which was submitted to the court Thursday. "It casts a lingering shadow over the case that leniency could help dispel."

"As it stands now, I'll be sent to state prisons for a long time rather than a state hospital," Braunstein's letter says. "Lenient sentencing will enable me to receive psychiatric attention at an earlier opportunity; a harsh sentence will only impede this possibility."

He asked the judge to ignore the "venomous tabloid media" that have given him nicknames such as fire "fiend," "perv" and "psycho."

Gottlieb said the first eight pages of the letter were written by a fellow inmate because Braunstein's hand and mind are shaky from medications he has been given at the hospital. The lawyer said Braunstein wrote the last page in a hand that vaguely resembles archaic Phoenician or Greek lettering.

"In closing," Braunstein says, "I would like to express my remorse for committing this crime and heartfelt sympathy for the victim. I deplore the senselessness of this action without aim or intent. In some ways it was more like an improvised pantomime of a crime, but with for-real effects."

Braunstein also salutes his victim, who is now a photographer's agent.

"All I know is how my victim, through her powerful testimony, demonstrated once again the fortitude she exhibited during her ordeal with me," Braunstein writes, "and how this in turn inspired a bout of self-contempt as I considered my lack of self-control and the fall from society this had cost me."

The defendant signed the letter, "Respectfully, Peter Braunstein."

-Dr. Seuss
Old 06-20-2007, 03:10 PM   #147
Avalon

Police investigate whether Taser ignited fire that killed man doused with gasoline

SAN ANGELO, Texas (AP) Authorities investigated Tuesday whether a Taser stun gun that police used to subdue a man ignited gasoline he had poured over himself.
Juan Flores Lopez, 47, died Tuesday at a Lubbock hospital.
Police initially used pepper spray when they tried to take Lopez into custody Monday evening. Then they used the Taser. Some stun guns emit an electric spark when they deliver the jolt of electricity.
The Texas Rangers were also investigating whether a lighter that was on the porch could have contributed to the fire, Lt. Bob Bullock said.
"We don't know what ignited the fire," police Lt. Curtis Milbourn said.
No one else was injured in the confrontation.
It was unclear whether Lopez had been charged with anything.
Two of his sons who live nearby said their father had been threatening for months to burn himself and his house. His wife was seeking a divorce, and he didn't want to have to leave the house, the sons said.
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Groucho Marx
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:05 PM   #148
Tunesmith
click click click

Naked couple die from S.C. rooftop fall
June 20, 2007

COLUMBIA, S.C. --Police on Wednesday were investigating how a naked couple fell 50 feet from the roof of a downtown office building to their deaths.

Clothing was discovered on the roof, leading authorities to suspect the man and woman, in their early 20s, may have been having sex. Their identities were not released.

"It's too early to rule out anything," Columbia police Sgt. Florence McCants said, but McCants said a preliminary investigation didn't show any sign of foul play.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:25 PM   #149
zenbabe
Lollypop!

Did it show any signs of foreplay?

-Dr. Seuss
Old 06-22-2007, 02:07 AM   #150
Jack Flanders
landscaping is fun

I think an emptied bottle of Jack Daniels was located at the site.
Jack Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: