ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2008, 06:29 PM   #196
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

^ When I was in college, the feds came in and made the university move the lab animals (guinea pigs and doves, mostly) out of the basement of the psychology building, saying that the room they were in was too dimly lit and inadequately ventilated. Then, they put graduate student offices in there.
---------------------------------------------------------
This made me laugh really hard.
Ha hahahahaha

AAHHHhahahahahahha

WASHINGTON - Apparently, raising the price really does make the wine taste better. At least that seems to be the result of a taste test. The part of the brain that reacts to a pleasant experience responded more strongly to pricey wines than cheap ones — even when tasters were given the same vintage in disguise.

Antonio Rangel and colleagues at California Institute of Technology thought the perception that higher price means higher quality could influence people, so they decided to test the idea.

They asked 20 people to sample wine while undergoing functional MRIs of their brain activity. The subjects were told they were tasting five different Cabernet Sauvignons sold at different prices.

However, there were actually only three wines sampled, two being offered twice, marked with different prices.

A $90 wine was provided marked with its real price and again marked $10, while another was presented at its real price of $5 and also marked $45.

The testers' brains showed more pleasure at the higher price than the lower one, even for the same wine, Rangel reports in this week's online edition of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

In other words, changes in the price of the wine changed the actual pleasure experienced by the drinkers, the researchers reported.

On the other hand, when tasters didn't know any price comparisons, they rated the $5 wine as better than any of the others sampled.

"We were shocked," Rangel said in a telephone interview. "I think it was because the flavor was stronger and our subjects were not very experienced."

He added that wine professionals would probably be able to differentiate the better wine — "one would hope."

"Our results suggest that the brain might compute experienced pleasantness in a much more sophisticated manner that involves integrating the actual sensory properties of the substance being consumed with the expectations about how good it should be," the researchers reported.

Next step: pain.

Rangel wants to see if people perceive pain differently, depending on their expectations. He hopes to administer mild electric shocks to subjects and measure their reaction when told a shock was going to be stronger or weaker.

"We are trying to understand how the brain encodes experiences and what variables can manipulate this," he said. "It helps us understand what it means to be human."

The research was funded by the National Science Foundation and the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation.
brightpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:06 PM   #197
Brynn
constantly amazed

portland craigslist > casual encounters > Very Complicated Request, Please Kindly Read!!! - m4mw

" Very Complicated Request, Please Kindly Read!!! - m4mw - 35
Date: 2005-02-08, 8:53PM PST

If you are groggy or stoned please do not read this, I need your complete and sober attention, for my request is uniquely detailed. I am a man, 35, white, black hair with brown eyes. Okay, first what I am looking for is a woman primary, but secondary it could be a woman and her man, but the man will have to remain behind the black curtain and only watch through the cut out eyeholes. The black curtain is inside the apartment that I reside in. This apartment is a fashionable studio in the hot part of town, and all my neighbors are graphic artists. So now please kindly listen to my request: what I require foremost in a woman with bushy eyebrows. And they must be TWO eyebrows, because one eyebrow is an abonination against Gaia.

What I want is for the woman to become naked and pose herself before me. I have a carpeted pedestal so her feet will not grow cold. I will present her with a very well preserved Mesopotamian bowl. She will hold it and she must be careful not to drop it as it has to be back at the museum by 8am tomorrow (I am a worker there). Next I will hand her tweezers. Then she will pluck her eyebrows until her forehead is vacant. The eyebrows will drift into the bowl and then I will take the bowl from her and go to my kitchenette. I will then toss a salad into the bowl and mix the eyebrows in it. The woman can decide the dressing, but I have only vinegrette and thousand island. Next I will re-present the bowl to the woman, along with a utensil, and she will then consume the salad while I watch. I may masturbate during this part of the exercise. However, if there is a man behind the black curtain he may not masturbate, and I will know if does because I will hear him. However, he is allowed to fantasize, and then he write an essay on his fantasies before I release him.

After the woman is finished with her salad, I will present her with a Qing dynasty teapot box, which she will open and deficate in. She must be careful with the box as well as it is also from the mueseum and it must be returned or there will be trouble. When she is finished she will return it to me, and I then I will bid her good-evening. That is all. Please send a photo, eyebrows only. I WILL NOT respond to any photos that include anything but eyebrows.

Please, serious inquiries ONLY. THIS IS NOT JOKE. So do not make funny replies to it. I have no patience for impertinence. Good day."
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:28 AM   #198
craig johnston
dalai clique

Location: tea leaf towers - home of fine musical entertainment
Paxman to meet M&S over underwear

The chief executive of Marks and Spencer is to meet Newsnight's Jeremy Paxman, who has expressed concern about the quality of the chain's underwear.
"Their pants no longer provide adequate support," he was quoted as saying after an e-mail to the company was leaked.

Socks were "wearing out much more quickly" than before, the star added.

He and Sir Stuart Rose would meet, said a Marks and Spencer spokeswoman, who added: "The quality of our underwear is probably the highest it's ever been."

The private correspondence from Paxman, 57, was obtained by the Mail on Sunday.

"I've noticed that something very troubling has happened," he told the newspaper.

"There's no other way to put this. Their pants no longer provide adequate support.

"The other thing is socks. Even among those of us who clip our toenails very rigorously, they appear to be wearing out much more quickly on the big toe."

The presenter - who also hosts University Challenge - said he had not intended the matter to have been made public.

"But I do feel that someone should take up this mighty battle. I was astonished, when I raised it with people, that they all said the same thing.

"It has been the subject of widespread consultation, from my gym to the Houses of Parliament."

Marks and Spencer said that "obviously Jeremy Paxman is entitled to his views and will be meeting Stuart to discuss them at some point".

"It's important to remember that we sell underwear to one in four men in the UK," a spokeswoman told the BBC News website.

"They're very, very popular and most of our customers are very happy with the quality of our product."

The company recorded a 2.2% drop in like-for-like sales in the final quarter of 2007, its worst performance for two years, and has warned of tough trading conditions in 2008.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #199
zero
ª ★ ª

virgin unveils spaceship designs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wait... come back!!! IT'LL BE GREAT, HONESTLY!!
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:12 AM   #200
craig johnston
dalai clique

Location: tea leaf towers - home of fine musical entertainment
High heels 'may improve sex life'

Wearing higher heels - although perhaps not stilettos - may improve your pelvic floor muscles and in doing so boost your sex life, a study suggests.
An Italian urologist and self-professed lover of the sexy shoe set out to prove that high heels were not as bad for women's health as some suggest.

The shoe has been linked to a range of problems - from corns to schizophrenia.

But in a letter to European Urology, Dr Maria Cerruto said her research showed it was time to stand up for the heel.

She said her study of 66 women under 50 found that those who held their foot at a 15 degree angle to the ground - the equivalent of a two inch heel - had as good posture as those who wore flat shoes, and crucially showed less electrical activity in their pelvic muscles.

This suggested the muscles were at an optimum position, which could well improve their strength and ability to contract.

The pelvic floor muscles are an essential component of the female body. As well as assisting sexual performance and satisfaction, they provide vital support to the pelvic organs, which include the bladder, bowels and uterus.

But they often weaken after pregnancy and childbirth, and as the woman gets older. There are exercises to strengthen them, but Dr Cerruto hopes her findings may eliminate the need for these.

"Women often have difficulty in carrying out the right exercises for the pelvic zone and wearing heels could be the solution," she said.

"Like many women, I like high-heeled shoes," she added. "It's good to know they have potential health benefits."

Gill Brook, a women's health physiotherapist in Bradford, stressed the findings did not suggest that stilettos were a good thing for those keen on improving their pelvic floor function.

"But for women who like a slightly higher heel, these are reassuring findings - although we haven't yet done away with the need for regular exercises to maintain what is such an important part of the female body."
Old 02-06-2008, 08:22 AM   #201
Stephi_B
waaaaaaa :)

^I'm not into ethnic prejudices, but Italians and sexy highheels, that's like Bavarians and beer
Stephi_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:13 PM   #202
l'azizza
98.4% monkey

http://ukpress.google.com/article/AL...vHBE3FEEQS16Sg

This isn't bringing your dead dog back to life!! Jeez, haven't these people read Pet Cemetery?
l'azizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:38 AM   #203
Stephi_B
waaaaaaa :)

Man Puts Out Girlfriend's Cigarette with Fire Extinguisher

Angered by his girlfriend's smoking, a German man used a fire extinguisher to put out her cigarette. The apartment now looks like it snowed inside -- and boyfriend was hauled downtown.

With smoking bans in effect across much of Germany these days, lighting up a cancer stick in a restaurant will, at the least, result in some nasty looks and a request to extinguish your cigarette. But even smoking at home can be rather dangerous.

Such is the lesson learned by a woman in the German city of Bielefeld on Sunday evening. She lit up in the apartment she shares with her 42-year-old boyfriend, only to see him flip out and begin cursing her. Not completely satisfied with his tirade, the boyfriend then grabbed a fire extinguisher and sprayed the entire apartment with the fine, white powder inside.

"He just sprayed it all over the flat," Bielefeld police spokesman Michael Waldhecker told SPIEGEL ONLINE. "With that kind of a fire extinguisher, it looks like it just snowed in the apartment. It's hellish to clean up."

Fearing for her safety, the girlfriend called the police. As the man continued firing off choice insults at his girl in the presence of the police, the officers took him to the station to calm him down.

"We didn't want the situation to escalate," Waldhecker said. But he said it is unlikely the man will be charged with anything. "It was his apartment and his fire extinguisher." And, he pointed out, the girlfriend was unharmed in the attack.

But the relationship may have suffered. While on the way to the station, the man told the cops that he might have to break up with his girlfriend if she refuses to quit smoking. If she doesn't extinguish the relationship's flame first, that is.

cgh
Stephi_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:58 AM   #204
Hyakujo's Fox
left hanging

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
Quote:
Blind Psychic Gropes Buttocks to See Future
Tue Jul 9,11:06 AM ET

By Nick Tattersall

BERLIN (Reuters) - Forget palm-reading. A blind German psychic claimed Tuesday he could read people's futures by feeling their naked buttocks.

Clairvoyant Ulf Buck, 39, claims that people's backsides have lines like those on the palm of the hand, which can be read to reveal much about their character and destiny.

"The bottom is much more intense -- it has a much stronger power of expression than the hand in my experience," Buck told Reuters. "It goes on developing throughout your life."

By running his fingers along a number of lines on the surface of a client's posterior, he says he can tell them about their future monetary success, family life, health and happiness.

He says lines representing success, career and artistic ability extend inwards from the outer extremities of the buttocks, while a further five lines radiate outwards.

"I began on a circle of friends and the circle grew," Buck said. "I am not a new-age freak. I treat people with great care and conscientiousness."

Buck, who lives in the northern village of Meldorf, northwest of Hamburg, says all types come to him to have their bottoms read.

He sees his blindness as a great asset, not least because it means customers do not risk having their identities revealed.

"All sorts come, from cleaning ladies and secretaries to prominent members of the community. For them, my being blind is an advantage because I can do it without recognizing them again in the future." Buck has been blind since the age of three.

Although he claims to have spent many years training his fingers, with his index and middle fingers the most sensitive, Buck says even amateur buttock readers can make a broad-brush assessment of people's personalities.

"An apple-shaped, muscular bottom indicates someone who is charismatic, dynamic, very confident and often creative. A person who enjoys life," he said. "A pear-shaped bottom suggests someone very steadfast, patient and down-to-earth."

He is quick to shoot down any suggestion that his buttock groping might be motivated by anything other than a genuine desire to probe people's futures.

"I do not need to feel bottoms for my own pleasure. My wife is quite beautiful enough for me," he said.

Buck is reluctant to speak about his successes, but says he correctly predicted an actress from a popular German soap-opera was going to write a book, and says a stockbroker has been using his services for over two years.

"No stockbroker would keep asking a blind clairvoyant to tell them about future stock prices if they didn't believe I could to it," he said.
*nods*
Hyakujo's Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:05 PM   #205
YsaPur EsChomuw
oi

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'azizza View Post
http://ukpress.google.com/article/AL...vHBE3FEEQS16Sg

This isn't bringing your dead dog back to life!! Jeez, haven't these people read Pet Cemetery?
Hehh! Maybe someone else is cloning the other dog, too.
YsaPur EsChomuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:16 AM   #206
Veruki
hint of olive

Blind Irishman sees with the aid of son's tooth in his eye
Thu Feb 28, 1:30 AM ET
An Irishman blinded by an explosion two years ago has had his sight restored after doctors inserted his son's tooth in his eye, he said on Wednesday.

Bob McNichol, 57, from County Mayo in the west of the country, lost his sight in a freak accident when red-hot liquid aluminium exploded at a re-cycling business in November 2005.

"I thought that I was going to be blind for the rest of my life," McNichol told RTE state radio.

After doctors in Ireland said there was nothing more they could do, McNichol heard about a miracle operation called Osteo-Odonto-Keratoprosthesis (OOKP) being performed by Dr Christopher Liu at the Sussex Eye Hospital in Brighton in England.

The technique, pioneered in Italy in the 1960s, involves creating a support for an artificial cornea from the patient's own tooth and the surrounding bone.

The procedure used on McNichol involved his son Robert, 23, donating a tooth, its root and part of the jaw.

McNichol's right eye socket was rebuilt, part of the tooth inserted and a lens inserted in a hole drilled in the tooth.

The first operation lasted ten hours and the second five hours.

"It is pretty heavy going," McNichol said. "There was a 65 percent chance of me getting any sight.

"Now I have enough sight for me to get around and I can watch television. I have come out from complete darkness to be able to do simple things," McNichol said.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:56 AM   #207
lukkucairi
earth worker

How's the weather in Hamburg?

(or at least, how was it yesterday when that video was uploaded?)

Last edited by lukkucairi : 03-04-2008 at 02:10 AM.
lukkucairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:13 PM   #208
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

*narrows eyes in deep suspicion*

Why Does the Kremlin Need 3,200 White Mice?

White mice or red herring?
The election of Dmitry Medvedev may have been a foregone conclusion, but the question of why the Kremlin is seeking 3,200 white mice remains a mystery. In a cryptic ad, Russia's Federal Guard Service is offering about $21,000 for the rodents -- provided they are white, female and between 16 and 18 grams.

Bidding ended Thursday, but the mice were not due until the end of the year. The guard has reportedly not given any explanation for its request.

That has only fueled paranoid speculation in the blogosphere. "Visions of gigantic rodent horror movies come to mind," one blogger wrote. The Times of London reported that "wild theories" have even been suggested tying the mice to "torture or experiments with polonium-210, the radioactive poison."

Komsomolskaya Pravda has a more measured outlook. It speculates that the mice may be used as food testers or will "serve" to feed Kremlin hawks -- an elite aviary unit who keep crows from poking holes in the onion-shaped fortress domes. And while that theory has been widely accepted, it doesn't answer a few crucial questions.

If the 3,200 mice are to be pet food, why would their gender matter? In addition, why would the Russian equivalent of the Secret Service place such a public ad at all? Isn't there a government laboratory that could discreetly fill its needs? And finally, if the Kremlin has been using hawks for years, why all of a sudden does the Kremlin need a supply of mice -- actually, a supply that doesn't need to be delivered until the end of the year?

The story seems too ridiculous to be real. And yet almost everyone writing about it seems to take at face value that the guard wants these mice.

By Emil Steiner | March 3, 2008; 10:00 AM ET
brightpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #209
lukkucairi
earth worker

World's fastest internet connection 'used to dry laundry'

Published: 31 Mar 08 13:44 CET
Online: http://www.thelocal.se/10810/

Last summer a 75-year-old woman from Karlstad became the envy of internet users worldwide.

With her blistering 40 gigabits per second connection, Sigbritt Löthberg had the world's fastest internet connection - many thousands of times faster than the average residential link and the first time ever that a home user had experienced such a high speed.

So after nine months with the ability to download a full high definition DVD in just two seconds or access to 1,500 high definition HDTV channels simultaneously, how has Sigbritt's life changed?

Not much, according to Hafsteinn Jonsson, who is heading up the fibre network operation for Karlstad Stadsnät.

"She mostly used it to dry her laundry," he told The Local.

"It was a big bit of gear and it got pretty warm."

Sigbritt's son, Swedish internet legend Peter Löthberg, was behind the project, which was intended to demonstrate how a low price, high capacity fibre line could be built over long distances. Löthberg has now taken the equipment up to Luleå, in the north of Sweden, for further testing.

"The project was a huge success," said Hafsteinn Jonsson, who explained that his department now measures its history in terms of 'Before Sigbritt and After Sigbritt'.

"Apart from the death of Ingmar Bergman, this was the biggest story to come out of Sweden in 2007. We used to get all these detailed questions about what we're working on - now we just mention Sigbritt and everybody understands."

The secret behind the ultra-fast connection is a new modulation technique which allows data to be transferred directly between two routers up to 2,000 kilometres apart, with no intermediary transponders.

According to Karlstad Stadsnät the distance is, in theory, unlimited - there is no data loss as long as the fibre is in place.

Sigbritt may have been denied her world-beating internet link but she still has an admirable 10 gigabits per second connection. And there may be another surprise in store for her.

"We're considering giving her a 100 gigabits per second connection in the summer," said Hafsteinn Jonsson.

"Then she'll be able to dry all her neighbours' laundry too."

Last edited by lukkucairi : 04-01-2008 at 07:55 PM.
lukkucairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:56 PM   #210
YsaPur EsChomuw
oi

Are lice art? Israelis sratch their heads

By Rebecca Harrison
Mon Apr 28, 7:19 AM ET

BAT YAM, Israel (Reuters) - From pickled cows to elephant dung, the art world is no stranger to offbeat ideas. But a group of lice-infested Germans?

Seven young artists from Berlin are trying to stretch the boundaries of art by living in an Israeli museum for three weeks with lice in their hair.

"Art is no longer just a painting on the wall," Milana Gitzin-Adiram, chief curator of the Museum of Bat Yam near Tel Aviv, told Reuters. "Art is life, life is art."

The exhibition has caused controversy -- unintended, the artists say -- in a country where the mention of lice may revive memories of Nazi propaganda that described Jews as "parasites".

The artists, who sleep, eat and bathe in the gallery, said the exhibition toyed with ideas about hosts and guests in line with a theme set by the museum and aimed to blur the boundaries between art and reality.

Works that try to push the limits of art have grabbed headlines in recent years since British artist Damien Hirst won the Turner Prize with a pickled cow in 1995 and Chris Ofili daubed his 1998 winning entries with elephant dung.

In Bat Yam, Gitzin-Adiram said she spent weeks exploring the gallery's theme of "hosting", turning to philosophers such as Jacques Derrida and even the Bible for inspiration. She received proposals from around the world but was won over by the lice.

"The idea is that we live in the museum as their guests, and at the same time we are hosting lice on our heads," said artist Vincent Grunwald, 23, wearing a plastic shower cap to prevent the lice from spreading.

The artists said the exhibition was not originally meant as a provocative reference to the Holocaust but offered the chance to explore with visitors the concept of the parasite and to ask whether the word could be "reclaimed" in Israel.

"We were aware that, as Germans in Israel, there was a risk we may be misunderstood, that we would open up wounds," said Stefan Reuter, 27, with a scratch of his head. "People ask about it -- we had one woman who came and thanked us for making such a great statement against the fascist rhetoric of German history."

The group acknowledged that living with lice was uncomfortable, but said it was worth it for the sake of art.

They insist it is not a gimmick.

"We are serious," said artist Akim One Machine-Tu Nyuyen. "The lice are part of the art."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080428/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_israel_art_germany;_ylt=Atrw2Cf0V79AGKAyO SezZmHtiBIF
YsaPur EsChomuw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: