ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2007, 11:28 PM   #31
Brynn
constantly amazed

wow, Auntie's bathroom stall story, Avalon's aunt on the telephone, Doon's dream, strange neighbors - shiver me timbers, ya'll.

Here's a link to give you some fun creepy crawlies: *

A slightly weird thing that happened on a road trip early in my marriage.
My husband and I were driving north from L.A. to Oregon along Interstate 5. We were ripping along somewhere outside of Big Sur after the trees dwindled away and the landscape had gradually gotten flat for a while. We'd been talking and talking and talking (as we used to do on road trips before the kids came) but we had hit a quiet stretch where we'd run out of stuff to say for a long while, and were just quietly watching the countryside roll by.

In the distance, we could see a huge cloud of smoke rising up from a grass fire in a field. The wind had been blowing it across the freeway, and we got closer, we had to slow way down as visibility got worse and worse.

On the other side of the freeway, over in the field, out of the smoke emerged
a very pale, gaunt figure of a man. Everything about him seemed to match the smoke - grayish hair, pale skin, pale blue denim overalls. The expression on his face seemed very lost, sad, and a bit dazed, as if he was in shock, but he was walking with a sense of purpose. Even so, it really was a strange sight to see a guy walking basically to nowhere along the freeway out there.

Then, almost randomly, I asked my husband "Do you believe in ghosts?" Maybe it was the sight of the guy, I don't know. I thought I knew his answer already - he's a fairly grounded realistic, practical person - but he surprised me by saying "Well, yeah, maybe I do. Did you see that weird guy?" As the traffic slowed even more as cars started to pile up in the thick smoke, we started to worry about getting rear-ended. People turned their headlights on and we crawled forward.
We could faintly see blue and red lights of a police car and an ambulance flashing through the smoke.

Finally, the wind shifted, and we could see better. Up ahead, on the other side of the freeway, there was a terrible wreck involving several cars. At the moment we passed (yes, we were rubbernecking) an ambulance medic was loading a sheet-covered body into the ambulance.

Somehow, we just both knew that we had seen the soul of the man who was on that stretcher. We turned on the radio to a local station and heard the account of the grass fire and how a farmer had been blindly trying to cross the road in the smoke and was struck by a car. Fortunately, in spite of the number of cars involved in the pile-up, he had been the only fatality.
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 01:16 AM   #32
Tunesmith
click click click

*shivers*

Brynn, I'm getting that "pressure behind the eyes combined with pricking of the thumbs" feeling associated with reading something eerily supernatural.

thanks for the scare!
Old 06-23-2007, 01:58 AM   #33
auntie aubrey
excursions

whoa, brynn. i've had that happen, too. i totally forgot about it (blocked it?) but you reminded me.

back when i was probably around 14 years old i went to chicago with my family to visit the brookfield zoo. the sky was overcast when we arrived and as we made our way through the first few exhibits we noticed that many of the cages were empty and that the animals had retreated into their covered shelters. suddenly a member of the staff appeared outside one of the many small-animal huts and called, "tornado! get inside!" we ran for cover and huddled inside the exhibit as the storm hit us with a wall of wind and rain. it was a bad one, we lost power for a while inside the hut and we huddled at the back in the pitch black with the sound of rain forest primates and rodents scrambling around us in the dark. finally the storm passed and we emerged. surveying the damage, we decided we might as well call it a wash and headed back to the car.

it was hard getting out of the city because power had been knocked out for miles. traffic lights were blinking and there were car accidents everywhere. we finally made it onto the highway and cleared out of downtown into more open road. then traffic slowed, then stopped, then crept forward at a snail's pace. we saw the accident ahead well before we drew up next to it. there was only one car, one emergency vehicle, and we could see quite clearly that someone was lying on the ground next to the car, covered from head to foot in a tarp. all i know is, they don't usually cover survivors head to foot and leave them lying on the pavement. it didn't bode well. we crept past the scene and as traffic began to open up again i saw someone standing on the shoulder of the road, well away from the accident, facing away from the scene. i couldn't tell if it was a man or woman, but i distinctly remember a raincoat that was either gray or a pale lavender. the person was staring down the highway into the distance, motionless.

i said, "was that person in the accident?" my mother asked, "who?" i said, "did you see that person in the raincoat?" silence answered. no one else in the car had seen the person on the shoulder of the road.

not much later traffic slowed again and this time we saw a flipped VW bug on the shoulder of the opposing lanes. there were no emergency vehicles, just the car, flipped up onto its roof, wheels pointing towards the sky. there was a man sitting on the ground next to the shattered passenger side window, his hands cradling his head, his elbows propped up on his knees. he was curled over on himself, holding his head and sitting motionless.

i said "do you think he's okay?" again, the same silence. everyone else in the car admitted that they had seen the car, but they hadn't seen the man. again, it was only me.

i don't know about the man with the VW bug. but the person in the raincoat definitely gave me a prickly feeling. but both people should have been noticable to everyone else in the car... if they had actually been there.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:25 AM   #34
madasacutsnake
no more nice girl

Old 06-23-2007, 10:54 AM   #35
Avalon

If I didn't sincerely believe it would rebound on me and/or mine...I would ask Aunt Jane to call Duke.

Repeatedly.
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Groucho Marx
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 06:37 PM   #36
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

M'kay. One kinda creepy thing and one kinda nice thing. I tend to think these things are my subconscious toying with me, but I'm enjoying reading everyone else's stuff, so why not?

A while back I was watching a show about a haunted house with my husband, or rather he was watching and I was knitting or something and half listening. They took a professed psychic around all the rooms, and he gave impressions of who he felt in each one. When they got to one room in particular, my eyes and mouth started to water...that happens from time to time for a reason unknown to me, and I prefer not to think about it too much!! At the end of the show, they went back through and relayed the actual known history of who had died in various rooms. When they got to that one bedroom, I said, "Oh, that's the one that made my eyes water -- the one with the angry man." My husband said, "No, he said it was a little girl." I disagreed, sure I'd heard the psychic talk about a ticked off guy who was stuck there, but they replayed what he'd said, and he reported seeing a sweet little girl who had died of consumption or whatever. The show went on to say there was no known little girl who had died there, but a man who had failed out of medical school had come home and slit his own throat in there. The psychic never mentioned an angry man in any of the rooms. I have to say that gave me pause.

The other...Several years ago a dear friend of mine died suddenly, at 30. We were in grad school together, and she used to jokingly call me her advisor because we talked about it so much, but she helped me at least as much as the other way 'round. A few months after her death, I had to make a really tough decision about school, and after agonizing for days and really wishing I could talk to her, I finally bit the bullet and went with what I thought was best. I remember thinking that I hoped she was nodding her head in agreement. The next morning, I was standing in the shower when I remembered a dream I'd had the night before. I had become aware of talking and laughing with someone at a sort of party, but I didn't know who it was, couldn't see the face, didn't even know whether it was a man or a woman, but I was leaning toward man. I felt I should have known who it was and felt bad about it, so I asked, "Where are you from, anyway?" The person laughed, and clapped me on the back, and said gleefully, "Boston! BOSTON BAKED BEANS!"

I laughed myself, wondering what the hell that was all about, and then I thought about her. She used to dress up as a man at Halloween -- scary good at that, and trickster stuff in general. She was from Boston. And her last name was Bean. It's amazing I didn't slip and crack my head on the tub when it dawned on me. I don't know whether it was really her, but it made me feel better. She was awesome.

This is for you, S, wherever you are. You don't creep me out at all.
Love, Your advisor
brightpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 04:48 AM   #37
madasacutsnake
no more nice girl

Not really creepy but.......

Yesterday one of the residents where I work died. She was an ex-nurse with a sad story. She was working at a hospital back in the 1960's and there had been something happen referred to intriguingly in her notes only as a "traumatic incident". It precipitated her bipolar illness and years in and out of psychiatric hospitals with treatment including good old fashioned electric shock therapy. After many years she was lucky enough to be mentally stable and meet and marry a nice man who thought the world of her. She was too old to have children then but her husband had grown up children who accepted her. Her husband eventually passed away and as old age hit, her illness became worse again which meant she had to live in a nursing home. She used to spend many hours sobbing inconsolably and as she was dying I spent a lot of time thinking about how a single incident had made her life mainly unhappy and hoping that she would have peace wherever she went.

So last night I couldn't sleep. That may have been the red wine and snails I had for dinner but I was dozing on and off and kept waking up with a start worried about where this lady was and wether she was finally at peace and wishing that I was one of those psychic people who could receive messages from the other side all mixed up with trying to be one of those people and sending telepathic messages to her asking if she was ok...........when I woke up to find my bedside lamp switched on.

Might have just been a surge but I did sleep well after that.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:30 PM   #38
Odbe
hope dope

A big creepy happened to me a couple of days ago.

Some friends and I (for convenience Jack and Mary) were playing a card game. It's hard to explain, but all you really need to know is that each picture card has a value (jack - 1, queen - 2, king - 3, ace - 4), you can win extra cards by snapping two identical value cards that are put down in a row, the same as in Snap, and also you don't look at your cards but put them down randomly.
You start putting down cards in turn until you come to a picture card, and then the next person has to put down as many cards as the value of that picture card, unless they themselves put down a picture card and start the cycle off again. If you put down the required number without putting down a picture card you 'die' and the next person gets the pile of cards. You lose when you run out of cards, and the game can take quite a while.

A little way into the game, Jack put down a king and I put a three on it, then daydreaming, I stopped. "Three," he prompted me, and I put down another three which someone snapped. A while after the exact same thing happened: He put down a king, I put down a three and stopped, he said "Three" and I put down another three. Because the order of play and the cards are always changing, you don't get repeating patterns in the game, so this was a pretty weird coincidence. Jokingly he said "three" as I put a card down and it turned out to be a three. After this we started saying "Three" after every three that was put down. From then on there was a snap directly or a few cards after every single three. We were starting to get a bit spooked out by the regularity. A three went down and Mary said "three", then more cards went down and nothing happened. "It didn't work," I said, and just as I said it there was another snap. Later in the game a bird crowed three times and the next card was a three. After another three we paused and realised that there were three of us, it was the thirteith, and looking at the clock it was 3:33 exactly.

Eventually I lost the game by losing all of my cards. At this point the other people still play and you can still gain cards by snapping. I saw a three and snapped it reflexively. Everyone laughed, but the next two cards were a snap.

After finishing the game we got up and Mary started looking around for threes. There were three couches, three stools, three chairs, three remotes, three drawers. That room had alot of threes in it. I spotted that there had been a tripod sitting next to us the whole time. Then Mary said, "That TV wasn't on before, was it?" It certainly had been off before. It was now on channel three, showing three people and a phone number with a three in it. One of the people said the word three. "The threes are after us!" Mary said.
"It's okay, I'll give you a card that isn't a three, it'll protect you." I drew a card at random and it was a three, so I discarded and gave Mary a four, myself a nine and Jack a two.
We were expecting someone to arrive soon. "I bet there'll be three people in the car," I said. On cue, a car pulled in with three people but it was the neighbour.
Then I realised that it was nearly four o'clock, and when the person arrived there would be four of us. I said that she would arrive in a car with four people. Mary held up her four card.

As it turned out, the fourth person arrived precisely at four o'clock in a car of four people.
Odbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:00 PM   #39
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

Mad's post reminded me of a story a friend told me a few months ago. He is a psychotherapist and priest, and he does work with hospice patients, helping them meet death in the way they would like. It's amazing work; I'm awed by his bravery, and Mad's too. He had a client a couple of years ago who was dying of breast cancer. She was one of his favorites -- I think he felt like he was really doing her some good, and she felt that way, too. She wasn't well, obviously, but her death wasn't imminent, and after seeing her one afternoon, he made an appointment with her for the next day. When he woke up in the morning, his bedside clock had stopped at 2:13 am, and he was late. He called the hospice to ask them to tell her he had overslept, and they told him she had died unexpectedly. He said he paused, and then he asked the time of death.

Yep.

And none of the other clocks in the house had stopped. He said it was really comforting, because it's the only time anything like that has happened to him in all his years of such work. I'm glad you got some sleep, Mad.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:17 PM   #40
Capella
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Flanders View Post
^^^ hold an over ripe banana (I'm not getting dirty here ) to that ear and maybe it will fly out to it. And please take a picture of yourself doing that!!! Who knows, it might work!! I find this very creepy.
I definitely second that idea.
Pics are a must.

I once knew someone who's son once had a fruit fly (probably a gnat, now that I think of it) actually strike him in the eye with such a force, that it got embedded in the kid's pupil, and had to be removed by a doctor.

Not sure if its creepy or funny, actually.

But I do have a creepy story to tell.
I used to work in a movie theater, and although we joked around that someone was killed there - noone actually ever wanted to check it out, and see if that's true.
Well, despite us just kidding around, there was one theater (it's a multiplex) that was just plain creepy. No one really liked to clean it after the movies by themselves. I had to do it a few times when we were short handed, and let me tell you - I could just FEEL someone staring me down from the projection booth. I would look up (the light is on, so you could clearly see into the little room), and no one was there.
Also, it was also freezing cold in that theater. We called for the AC repairmen many times, but every time they would check it and say - it's running fine. Then sometime during a movie, it would drop so cold, the people would be shivering.

Another strange thing was that somehow the film itself would get tangled into knots on the projectors, as if someone just spent hours tying it together. There is not way it would be a simple malfunction, it just doesn't happen.
Capella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:14 PM   #41
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

This is the kind of thing that gives me nightmares.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:13 AM   #42
Dorkahontas
monkey

^^Me too, me too.

http://www.preciousmoments.com/content.cfm/chapel
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attra...Rprecious.html

I lived in the midwest for about 6 years and attended a wedding there once. OMG.
Dorkahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:54 PM   #43
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

Concerning the cute department, I usually feel (as Cute Overload puts it) the Japanese "hand our asses to us on a Hello Kitty platter," but this is sooooooo creepy.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:31 PM   #44
Veruki
hint of olive

my classroom has two walls painted in ketchup red, and two in mustard yellow. I'm stuck here for two more hours. help.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:22 PM   #45
Hyakujo's Fox
left hanging

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightpearl View Post
Concerning the cute department, I usually feel (as Cute Overload puts it) the Japanese "hand our asses to us on a Hello Kitty platter," but this is sooooooo creepy.

awwww... and it even comes with a little birdy it can torture for hours and hours!
Hyakujo's Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: