ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > DEBATE HALL
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-13-2003, 02:23 AM   #1
Hermione
monkey

Atheists

Okay.. I don't know if this belongs here or not, but I figured it would arouse some opinions..

okay.. so why does one become an atheist? Is there a specific incident that makes a person deny the existence in god? I've been wondering about this for awhile.

*I'm not trying to be mean.. I am just curious*
Hermione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 02:35 AM   #2
malina
leaving

you don't "become" an atheist... you just are

i have no reason to believe in a "god" so i don't
malina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 12:46 PM   #3
fodder

i think this should be switched around
you should be telling us why you believe in a god
it's the believers responsibility to convince us, not everyone elses to convince you otherwise
Old 09-13-2003, 01:13 PM   #4
zenbabe
Lollypop!

I was always under the impression that scientists were all athiests, simply because they believe in fact and not on the unknown. I read an article the other day stating that there were more religious scientists than athiests...that tripped me out!

I think athiests come from the POV that there is no proof, never has been and never will be. I think some people need some kind of proof to believe in something. The whole big bang theroy vs. evolution thing/adam and eve thing...

-Dr. Seuss
zenbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 01:16 PM   #5
moel

Quote:
Originally posted by fodder
i think this should be switched around
you should be telling us why you believe in a god
it's the believers responsibility to convince us, not everyone elses to convince you otherwise
i don't know if i'd call it a responsibility. Maybe a responsiblity to accept your own beliefs.. and that others will have their own aswell. I don't think it's any ones responsibility to "enlighten" anyone.

I'm not so much interested in what people believe, or why they believe what they believe. What i'm interested in is why we feel we need to believe anything.. it seems almost as inert as eating and breathing to search for these answers.
moel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 01:48 PM   #6
malina
leaving

Quote:
Originally posted by moel
i don't know if i'd call it a responsibility. Maybe a responsiblity to accept your own beliefs.. and that others will have their own aswell. I don't think it's any ones responsibility to "enlighten" anyone.
exactly moel!
malina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 01:56 PM   #7
AllegroNg
What I Am Wearing.

It's like the whole Santa Clause thing. It's rather heart breaking to learn that there is no Santa, and that I was lied to for all those years. How is that not the same as a god? If no one had tried ot tell me there was one, I would never have guessed.
AllegroNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 02:22 PM   #8
fodder

i just assumed it would turn into a debate because it's in the debate thread. it's no one's responsibility to convince anyone else of anything. but, if you want to debate over the existence of god, etc, the believers should be the ones proving it to the scientists. after all, they are the ones making the argument.

like in astrology: it's not the astronomer's role to explain why it doesn't exist, it's the astrologer's to explain why he/she thinks it does.

imo, i don't see how anyone can argue for religion since they don't know. i also don't think faith is a reason as beliefs =/ knowledge.

but me, i just think when i die i'm dead and i don't know what else happens after that but hopefully i will turn into energy
Old 09-13-2003, 02:25 PM   #9
moel

yeah, i'm agnostic, not necessarily atheist
Old 09-13-2003, 02:26 PM   #10
fodder

high five bffae
Old 09-13-2003, 02:38 PM   #11
zenbabe
Lollypop!

I'm frisbitarian, I believe when I die, my soul will land on the roof and never come down...

-Dr. Seuss
zenbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 02:42 PM   #12
azur
over the rainbow!

Quote:
Originally posted by surbhi
so why does one become an atheist? Is there a specific incident that makes a person deny the existence in god? I've been wondering about this for awhile.
I can tell you how it happened to me apart to all philosophic debates (that I certainly made in my head for many years).
I was always very dubtful, tried to understand the Bible, that we were studing during sunday lessons and so I started to ask myself many questions and I understood there are no answers. I've noticed how many simply stupid things are telling different "religious leaders", how greedy for money and power they are.
In effect I stopped to go to church, than to pray, then to ask myself questions about bible etc. After some time I realized I'm not praying or thinking of God and in the same time my life become easier, even if in I was even more "moral" and had more conservative conviction about how I should live, than before. I think that the atheism in my life was like religiousness in other's people life.
I don't say there is no god (how can I be sure?), I just don't care if it exist or not.
azur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 03:12 PM   #13
Hermione
monkey

That's really interesting.

Fodder-- what do you mean you hope you turn into energy? (sorry if this is a stupid question)
Hermione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 03:26 PM   #14
moel

i think the same... it goes along the lines of the laws of thermodynamics... energy cannot be created or distroyed. We die and the energy leaves our body and that is all that is left to us. Pure energy. no heaven of any kind; no hell of any kind. Which begs the question... what is the soul?
And it's not James Brown.

Of course i am oversimplifying this.

Last edited by moel : 09-13-2003 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-13-2003, 04:14 PM   #15
rapscalious rob

Just throwing some ideas outÖ

There was (is) a professor from Texas who wrote a contraversial book called Omega Theory. In it, he expounds the idea, which he calls Omega Theory, through complicated and, for me, indecipherably complex mathematics, that we will (probably) have eternal life through some kind of looping mechanism. I didnít understand that much of it, because the math was way over my head.

If you look at the many-histories interpretation of quantum mechanics, perhaps in this universe/timeline you die but in an alternate one you continue living.

Regarding atheism, there are a variety of reasons a person might choose not to believe in god. Perhaps a personís god let him or her down in a very important way -- such as a loved one dying in an accident. Perhaps the person grew up in a religious environment in which they were hurt by misguided practitioners of that religion -- as in my maternal grandmotherís case, who became an atheist after a bad experience with abusive nuns. Perhaps the person grew up among atheists (like me). Perhaps the person is rebelling against an oppressive religious upbringing. Who knows?

Personally, I think maybe thereís a god -- but if so, it doesnít have a sex and I cannot personally appeal to it. My idea is more of a pantheism-- the miracle of the emergence of life in the universe, and the miracle of the universe itself. Not intelligent design, necessarily. Just an appreciation of the permutations of events that led to us being here-- the improbability of it and the hugeness of it. The fact that we come from stars is pretty amazing. Could that be called god? maybe not.

I prefer to leave each person their own ideas. If youíre Christian, fine. Buddhist? A-okay. People should be allowed freedom of thought, freedom to form their own opinions. But, on the other hand, your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins-- your right to your ideas is fine as long as your ideas do not include limiting or eliminating my rights. In other words, people should respect each otherís religious - or nonreligious - metaphysical beliefs, instead of killing each other, hurting each other, and going to war with each other over them.

I mean that in the broadest possible senseÖ

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: