ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FICTION PROJECT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 190 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 10-09-2007, 09:39 AM   #2731
Marcus Bales

Location: In a coign of the cliff between lowland and highland, at the sea-down's edge between windward and lee, walled round with rocks as an inland island, the ghost of a garden fronts the sea.
quinquarticular - an unimaginably large number, usually used as an intensifier.

A tear made a spot of darker blue on her shoes. "Take your quinquarticular promises and go," she finally managed.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:01 AM   #2732
Hyakujo's Fox
left hanging

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
The Exasperated Mother's Association Perpetual Cup goes to
Quote:
Originally Posted by trisherina View Post
quinquarticular: four-eyed, spindly, and awkward; most often describing a given species in its adolescent stage of development.
A signed copy of the forthcoming Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time: The 20th Anniversary Pop-up Edition, goes to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman View Post
Quinquarticular - a type of 4th dimensional shape possessing four AND five sides simultaneously.

"In the year 2085 quinquarticular coloring books will become a short-lived fad among quantum physicists, only to be replaced by an equally ill-fated trend: microscopic pogs."
This wonderful Unfinished Greens Tureen goes to
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12"razormix View Post
quinquarticular, adj.

relating to pudding and pudding byproducts
The This Could Never Happen Under The Metric System Everlasting Platinum Rod goes to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
quinquarticular

5 quart gallons...the "Baker's Dozen" of milk.

The new dairy was offering quinquarticular gallons of milk to attract market share.
The Interminable Needle for Outstanding Sibling Rivalry goes to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynn View Post
quinquarticular - adj. Describes a mother of quintuplets who "secretly" loves her fourth child best.

Roberta's quinquarticularity was impossible for her to mask, and unfortunately it often led to brutal rivalries amongst the siblings that would later escalate to all-out war during holiday get-togethers.
The Brass Intrument For An Entry Of Note goes to
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkytuba View Post
quinquarticular - a piece originally written in 5/4 time that has been "re-interpreted" in 4/4 time.

The new quinquarticular version of the Mission Impossible theme set a fitting tone given overall quality of the film's attempt to capture the spirit of the original.
The Paris Hilton Award For Outstanding Whatever In The Field of Articulation goes to
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.I.P. View Post
quinquarticular: Fictitious word invented solely for practicing the "qu" sound at articulation school

Test Sample number 3: I would like to congratulate you on your magnificent and quinquarticular appendicitis that beneficially pacified any sophisticated cafeteria conversation in February.
The Marcus Bales Award For Best Entry By Marcus Bales goes to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Bales View Post
Quin Quarticular -- The eponymous hero of the Quin Quarticular series of books for Asperger's Syndrome children. Quin's adventures include learning that when other people talk to him, they expect him to respond on the topic about which they are talking, to look up occasionally and meet their eyes, to realize that other peoples' facial expressions and body positions convey information, and so forth.

According to TIME Magazine, there are many many rave reviews from parents of AS children who say Quin Quarticular has changed their childrens' lives.
The Aeronautics Goes Way Over My Head Reinforced Aluminium Aileron goes to
Quote:
quinquarticular - an aerial combat maneuver where an aircraft performs a mid-air somersault of sorts. It is performed by following the standard procedure for a Cobra, but instead of snapping back to level flight it continues to pull the nose further back, at one point flying tail-first. The manoeuvre allows for very quick turns which can make an attack fail by the opponent overshooting, or put the pilot in a position to execute an attack. It is an example of air combat poststall manoeuvring.

We were both out of missles, so it had come down to the traditional stuff. I let him get behind me, went quinquarticular, he overshot, and as he went past I put a line of 20mm cannon holes along his fuselage that soon erupted in flames. He bailed out and his crate exploded a couple seconds later.
The Judge's Special Spittoon of Plenty goes to
Quote:
quinquarticular - to wander the ruins of a dead civilization instead of performing one's judging duties.

Amid the spectacle of the massive vine-covered remnants of walls, and the crumbled piles of scree nearly blocking what had once been streets, Fox was lost in wonder.
The Authorntuhkat Memorial Brass Tokeanefege for Subtlest Product Placement goes to
Quote:
Originally Posted by trisherina View Post
quinquarticular: pertaining to a display of the full colour range of Acrobots (TM).
The Oh I See What You're Trying To Do Award goes to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynn View Post
Well hello, all. I just stopped in for nostalgic reasons really, to reminisce with old friends about last month when we first got this splendid word. Wasn't that great? I miss Hfox. His witty presence here always enlivens the place, and we're all the better for it, don't you agree?

quinquarticular - describes an action that occurs on a cycle of approximately four or five months, depending upon the whim of the perpetrator.

Blanche's interest in actually beginning a serious exercise program was quinquarticular at best, and ranked right up there on her list with thinking about replacing the furnace filter.
The Golden Taco, Or Perhaps It's A Burrito I'm Never Quite Sure Anymore goes to
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.I.P. View Post
Quinquarticular: Annual film festival held in Chihuahua Mexico, in which the state commemorates the city's most famous inhabitant, Antonio Rudolfo Oaxaca Quinn, by an all-night projection of his movies on a huge screen. Locals can be seen eating hot chihuahuas, a finger food best enjoyed with chili and hot relish, and accompanied with a local cerveza.
The Albert Einstein Award For Fastest Moving Observor goes to
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkytuba View Post
quinquarticular - the realization that occurs when one's frame of reference conflicts with another's
The Quite Good But Simply Too Late To Change The Course Of Judging Award goes to
Quote:
quinquarticular - an unimaginably large number, usually used as an intensifier.

A tear made a spot of darker blue on her shoes. "Take your quinquarticular promises and go," she finally managed.
The Al Gore Memorial Plaque For Outstanding Runnering Up goes to
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12"razormix View Post
quinquarticular, adj.
especially half-arsed, regarding nothing in particular

Boyd's mom was incredibly proud of his acquired eloquence and his quinquarticular opinions.

But the 'Bartleby' for Best Provided Quotation goes to THE WINNER...
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfox View Post
quinquarticular the mindset one gets from viewing a Warhol or Kubrick's 2001, and the like.

The Poe's, dazed, sat frozen by quinquarticular force of evening.
Take it away xfox.
Hyakujo's Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:19 PM   #2733
Marcus Bales

Location: In a coign of the cliff between lowland and highland, at the sea-down's edge between windward and lee, walled round with rocks as an inland island, the ghost of a garden fronts the sea.
xfox has been sent the Dreaded PM of Winning, but hfox has failed to provide the Actual Definition!
Old 10-09-2007, 09:31 PM   #2734
Hyakujo's Fox
left hanging

ok, get out your new word books...

Quote:
Quinquarticular (Theol.) Relating to the five articles or points; as, the quinquarticular controversy between Arminians and Calvinists.
The Arminians maintaining:
Quote:
* Article I - That God, by an eternal, unchangeable purpose in Jesus Christ, his Son, before the foundation of the world, hath determined, out of the fallen, sinful race of men, to save in Christ, for Christ's sake, and through Christ, those who, through the grace of the Holy Ghost, shall believe on this his Son Jesus, and shall persevere in this faith and obedience of faith, through this grace, even to the end; and, on the other hand, to leave the incorrigible and unbelieving in sin and under wrath, and to condemn them as alienate from Christ, according to the word of the Gospel in John iii. 36: "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life; and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him," and according to other passages of Scripture also.

* Article II - That, agreeably thereto, Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world, died for all men and for every man, so that he has obtained for them all, by his death on the cross, redemption, and the forgiveness of sins; yet that no one actually enjoys this forgiveness of sins, except the believer, according to the word of the Gospel of John iii. 16: "God so loved the world that he gave his only-begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life"; and in the First Epistle of John ii. 2: "And he is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only. but also for the sins of the whole world."

* Article III — That man has not saving grace of himself, nor of the energy of his free-will, inasmuch as he, in the state of apostasy and sin, can of and by himself neither think, will, nor do anything that is truly good (such as having faith eminently is); but that it is needful that he be born again of God in Christ, through his Holy Spirit, and renewed in understanding, inclination, or will, and all his powers, in order that he may rightly understand, think, will, and effect what is truly good, according to the word of Christ, John xv. 5: "Without me ye can do nothing."

* Article IV — That this grace of God is the beginning, continuance, and accomplishment of an good, even to this extent, that the regenerate man himself, without that prevenient or assisting; awakening, following, and co-operative grace, can neither think, will, nor do good, nor withstand any temptations to evil; so that all good deeds or movements that can be conceived must be ascribed to the grace of God in Christ. But, as respects the mode of the operation of this grace, it is not irresistible, inasmuch as it is written concerning many that they have resisted the Holy Ghost,—Acts vii, and elsewhere in many places.

* Article V — That those who are incorporated into Christ by a true faith, and have thereby become partakers of his life-giving spirit, have thereby full power to strive against Satan, sin, the world, and their own flesh, and to win the victory, it being well understood that it is ever through the assisting grace of the Holy Ghost; and that Jesus Christ assists them through his Spirit in all temptations, extends to them his hand; and if only they are ready for the conflict. and desire his help, and are not inactive, keeps them from falling, so that they, by no craft or power of Satan, can be misled, nor plucked out of Christ's hands, according to the word of Christ, John x. 28: "Neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand." But whether they are capable, through negligence, of forsaking again the first beginnings of their life in Christ, of again returning to this present evil world, of turning away from the holy doctrine which was delivered them, of losing a good conscience, of becoming devoid of grace, that must be more particularly determined out of the Holy Scriptures before we ourselves can teach it with the full persuasion of our minds.
Whereas the Calvinists maintained:
Quote:
* Total depravity (or total inability): As a consequence of the Fall of man, every person born into the world is enslaved to the service of sin. According to the view, people are not by nature inclined to love God with their whole heart, mind, or strength, but rather all are inclined to serve their own interests over those of their neighbor and to reject the rule of God. Thus, all people by their own faculties are unable to choose to follow God and be saved.
* Unconditional election: God's choice from eternity of those whom he will bring to himself is not based on foreseen virtue, merit, or faith in those people. Rather, it is unconditionally grounded in God's mercy.
* Limited atonement (or particular redemption or definite atonement): The death of Christ actually takes away the penalty of sins of those on whom God has chosen to have mercy. It is "limited" to taking away the sins of the elect, not of all humanity, and it is "definite" and "particular" because atonement is certain for those particular persons.
* Irresistible grace (or efficacious grace): The saving grace of God is effectually applied to those whom he has determined to save (the elect) and, in God's timing, overcomes their resistance to obeying the call of the gospel, bringing them to a saving faith in Christ.
* Perseverance of the saints (or preservation of the saints): Any person who has once been truly saved from damnation must necessarily persevere and cannot later be condemned. The word saints is used in the sense in which it is used in the Bible to refer to all who are set apart by God, not in the technical sense of one who is exceptionally holy, canonized, or in heaven (see Saint).
Old 10-12-2007, 10:54 PM   #2735
Hyakujo's Fox
left hanging

anybody with a word they'd like to get off their chest?
Old 10-12-2007, 11:09 PM   #2736
xfox
slightly effective

OMG! I won! Thank you, however, may I ask everybody for patience picking the next word. I finally got out of town hence, separated from my dictionary, and will not be home until Wednesday, so if the runner up wants this round, I'll understand. I must say I am so appreciative of the honor, (read work) given the judges status on this board, and against such competition!! Wow. Thanks!
xfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 12:20 AM   #2737
Brynn
constantly amazed

x my love, here you go, darlin'
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 11:27 AM   #2738
Marcus Bales

So xfox can't do it and Razormix has no PM, so the 2nd place person is incommunicado, so that leaves Funkytuba as the next one back, discounting mine as "too late", per Hfox. So Funkytuba! You're up!
Old 10-13-2007, 12:23 PM   #2739
12"razormix
° ★ °

what's wrong with xfox posting a word on wednesday?
12"razormix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:24 PM   #2740
Coffee
Cheeses Save

What's wrong with Xfox posting a word on Wednesday while Marcus writhes in agonizing, foaming at the mouth, Dictionary game withdrawal for a few days?

*Patiently waits for Wednesay while smiling at the thought of Marcus' character building 4 day wait.*
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:20 PM   #2741
Brynn
constantly amazed

The thread's going to...
finally --
it's -,
it's dead, Jim - !
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:28 PM   #2742
xfox
slightly effective

Coffee-LOL. Brynn-xoxo, but what I meant also was I'm separated from my computer. The internet cafe in Reno for the ever sweet veterinarians I serve are all going home tomorrow. So is everybody good with:

Epexegesis
xfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:17 PM   #2743
12"razormix
° ★ °

epexegesis, n.

confrontation with an unanticipated truth; the sudden realization upon facing reality that it differs greatly from a previously held perception

Who's that fat guy with that pretty woman? Oh my god, it's an epexegesis!
12"razormix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:25 PM   #2744
Coffee
Cheeses Save

Epexegesis n

The little known and poorly documented mass migration of Jewish swordsman (Historically noted for their stunning mastery of Épée...as well as masters of...wait for it..."fencing"....ba dum dum cheeeesh), from the lands of Egypt due to a contract dispute. The Epexegesis preceded, and in part caused, the events of the Jewish Exodus due to the lack of military protection for the Jews allowing the civilian population to be enslaved by the Pharos, leading to the events surrounding Moses and the biblical Exodus from Egypt.

Last edited by Coffee : 10-15-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:53 PM   #2745
Bman
monkey

Epexegesis n. - an award winning anime series in which clearly untrained 10 year old children pilot giant robot playing cards in between lunch time and math class.
Bman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: