« happy new year | Main | got film? »

January 8, 2005

free running

Le PARKOUR

wow. just saw a documentary on this. parkour, or "free running" is a new sport that's spreading quickly through europe. much like freestyle skateboarding without a skateboard, parkour is about moving through your surroundings creatively. using nothing but a pair of running shoes these kids are remixing the way that they interact with the street, jumping over trashcans, balancing on walls - its pretty amazing to see.

yeah- I saw the article in WSJ and pinned it to my board of stories. pretty fantastic.

Posted by: ~a at January 8, 2005 5:54 PM

wow, your site is so rad.

Posted by: jade at January 9, 2005 1:32 AM

hey, that's pretty neat :D it's like gymnastics outside! kinda nifty to know how to jump off a building without breaking anything ;)

Posted by: Maiko at January 9, 2005 2:08 AM

*sigh* America is so behind on whats cool. come to england. it's where really cool people live.

xlucex

Posted by: xlucex at January 10, 2005 12:46 AM

It is incredible what they do, such talented people. Amazing what the body is capable of. It's becoming very fashionable to place these free runners in ads over here in the UK. There was a documentary over here about a year ago of some free runners jumping from roof to roof, negotiating ledges, sculptures and the HMS belfast on and around the River Thames. Scary stuff! x

Posted by: immi at January 12, 2005 8:03 AM

I recently discovered le parkour too -- see my blog entry here for a link to a cool Nike video: http://verbatim.blogs.com/verbatim/2004/12/le_parkour.html

Posted by: Karen at January 12, 2005 12:26 PM

Great, just great. I'm 29 Today and I woke up applying Methyln Salicylate (Ice Hot/Bengay) to a sore neck and pulled muscles in my legs. I'm trying to maintain being fit, keep my spirtes up and be motivated this new year (Thanks for the inspiration video Ze), only to find that how I think of myself as being in shape is, actually, only a self-delusion of what athletic and being in shape really is. Free running has a grounding effect (no-pun intended, heheh.. ha, ah.. no?, not funny?) of accepting what I can still do without getting hurt. Apparently drink on the eve of one's birthday can be one hell of a workout and if not properly stretched, can pull some muscles. I am liberally applying Ice Hot this morning and dealing with co-workers walking by asking, "What's that Smell?"

Posted by: Gatec at January 13, 2005 1:43 PM

yeah, i used to know this girl who was a "freestyle walker" and she would just go jump off of things while saying "i can trick off anything!"
i don't think she was attempting to create art, however. she was probably just trying to get some attention.
i guess it worked.

Posted by: katie at January 22, 2005 7:20 PM

hey the first time I ever heard and seen about le parkour/urbanfreeflow i thought it was totally cool and was so inspired by the way those guys can do all that stuff i was hoping tht i cud find ppl to start a group of free runners together in belfast.

Posted by: neil at April 4, 2005 8:40 PM