« pretty good deal | Main | POSTSECRET »

February 10, 2005

his dark materials

the brits are coming...again.

just read phillip pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy....excellent stuff..especially for all of you Harry Potter fan's that need reading material whilst waiting for the last installment.

Totally agree on your assessment of Pullman's trilogy. So I was really depressed to hear the film version is being heavily reworked -- specifically the notion of the Church as a sinister entity -- so as to avoid upsetting the Religious Right. Not sure how they are going to manage that, as it seems essential to the whole concept of the piece, don't you agree?

Posted by: Atlantagent at February 15, 2005 2:31 AM

Yeah, I read those books. I like the story a lot, and just the whole world he created. I'm not sure how much I agree with the whole anti-establishment theme going on in the last book. They're well worth the read though.

Posted by: Chris at February 15, 2005 4:23 AM

What took you so long? ;)

Posted by: dC at February 16, 2005 10:41 AM

I don't knwo if you knwo this, but they're making the His Dark Materials trilogy into films. Due out in 2006. Apparently the director of American Pie is directing (I shit you not.)

Also, they've decided that the god and religion stuff is borderline offensive to fundamentalist christians, so they've cut god, angels, The Authority and teh Chruch out of the story and replaced them with a fascist regime (again, not shitting you).

I love your movies. Please make more.
-Mojo

Posted by: poormojo at February 16, 2005 3:10 PM

Love the books as well, excelent writing and an absolutely wonderful fantasy world. Good reccomendation for just about anyone.

I'm dissapointed with the direction they're going with the movies if what the other commenters say is true; I hope they still turn out alright...

Posted by: Tristan at February 20, 2005 6:57 AM

These are excellent books. You may try Clive Barkers Abarat books as well if you've not already.

It's a shame about the movies, but it's not surprising considering the prudishness of your "average" American.

What a crock.

Posted by: Keith at March 2, 2005 3:46 PM

I really am impressed by your site. Very original & interesting content. Revelations of John: http://burchkid.blogspot.com/2005/09/fool-for-love-robert-altman-1985.html , About a year ago I started

Posted by: Richard Anderson at September 14, 2005 7:37 PM

nice post. i'll return. revelations of john: http://burchkid.blogspot.com/2005/09/fool-for-love-robert-altman-1985.html , about a year ago i started

Posted by: jonathan chapman at September 14, 2005 7:43 PM