« summary of SXSW | Main | »

March 24, 2005

mebbe you could help

playing with a concept for a game that makes you act ridiculous while you play...

very early version...any feedback would be great:

voice game

OK. That was wacky. Challenging, but wacky. Sorry no webcam to see how goofy I looked....
Thanks, SuperCreativeMan - up, up, and away!!

Posted by: j at March 24, 2005 11:51 PM

how delicate is the sound recognition? i would start by taking the most well defined sounds -- the first human sounds MA MA MAMA P(B)O P(B)O POPO (Mama, the police are here!) No but seriously, people always sound ridiculous making the "first human sounds" rapidly, in succession.

Plus, it should be a game everyone can play or at least pronounce correctly. Koreans for example don't have an "F" they use "P" and all the hilarity that ensures, apartment fee, train fee, entrance fee, etc. Or, that could inform the ridiculousness of the game but then you would require people from opposite phoneme-cultures to play together, thwarting each other, and all the funny nintendo dramas redux...

Dont forget about the *snap* or the *clap* or the *snort* If one has to snap very quickly to obliterate ones enemy, one might go in ten fingered, or if rapid clapping is needed one might begin stomping urgently as a reflex. This enables your goal to make the player act ridiculous.

You could require that only young drunk men play. Or people with a certain Myers-Briggs type might be asked to enter a code to get them in the mood: ENFPs are asked to name three kinds of blue birds; ISTJs are asked to enter pie to the third number. Give the user some confidence to shore up the ensuing ridicule.

For visual effect, people might be required to identify their body type before entering (Endo, Meso, Etc) and then the opposite body type will appear on the apparent-mirror camera, forcing the prescient ones to squat or stand tippie toe to be seen in the best light.

If you want to incite ridicule with your game, have the player claim that they are losing because "something's wrong with my (or better) YOUR computer." To do this you would set up some algorithmic pattern that stores "thwarts" for later so that, like, a stuffed person eating the last bite of their birthday cake gets 10 surprise cherries behind the last wall of icing.

So, the first thwart would come after like 500 successful moves. The game would reward the user, making a lot of noise and asking the user to yell, "I love this game!" to proceed to the next level. (You would program like a karaoke score that rates how well the user expressed him/herself.)

Oh, a *thwart* is a change-up in commands where the user has been led to believe the right command is "MA" when in fact it is "WHA!" and only after several failed MAs do they say WHA! and then the intended action occurs. People who catch on would run through all syllables when the first one doesn't work, causing riotous laughter. People will throw their Twister games out the window.

After three weeks you ask level 2 "experts" to videotape themselves playing. You say the camera recognition is better if ... [make something up...]

After level 3 (only a few have gone there, the user has no friends that have been obsessed enough to go there. who will believe him?) the user gets about four *thwarts* per hundred then the *thwarts* increase arhythmically. A new version is released when a certain percent of your user base reaches level 3. Both the punishee and the new player are hence ridiculous for playing.

If people play with their grandmas, they should be forced to teach a line dance before proceeding to the next level. It would be on the honor system, like those wish-come-true-send-to-20-people. You walk around for a month thinking no wonder the dalai lama hasn't stopped by for dinner. That way people take the game to the streets, with no live radio remotes. They could update their wacky next-level "tokens" (you would call them tokens - they're like earning a badge in Girl Scouts) on your web site. The tokens would be abstract enough that you'd get multiple instantiations of them. People could meet in Central Park (never been to NY, but seems like a good place) to "earn" their "tokens." You'd be creating a community. When they see each other on the subway they's "SNAP" or "CLAP CLAP PO HAH!" as a sign. I'm sure you can imagine all the possibilities. Since most game-players are introverts, the little sheriff symbol you have would be a pin people would stick in their tennis shoe. Or impress into almost-dried gum all over America.

Well, that's all for now... just passing through... it's a beautiful site!!

Posted by: katie at March 25, 2005 12:37 AM

Very not lame! How do I move up and down?

Posted by: michael at March 25, 2005 1:16 AM

maybe i'm goofy, but I cant get it to move

Posted by: Aprillillian at March 25, 2005 4:04 AM

Another good one, Ze! Hilarious! I played it at around 8 am on Good Friday, using a kind of steady "ewwwwwwwwwww" sound to raise the ball higher and a "Bang!" to shoot. It sounded crazy!I just hope my roommates heard me. If they thought I was weird before....

Keep pluggin' away, you're an inspiration!

Posted by: Mike at March 25, 2005 11:13 AM

something like a computer version of twister?
or
incorporate random jestures that build on one another as the game progresses. eg- cluck like a duck, next time, cluck like a duck followed by simulated head lice, next time cluck like a duck, simulate head lice, laugh milk out the nose...etc etc

Posted by: Peter J at March 25, 2005 1:06 PM

i love this game!! i played for about an hour bu i had to stop to get a glass of water but its really alot of fun. ive been checking up on ure blog and i try yo come on every day- i love your work and u always succeed in making me laugh

keep up the amazing work!
<3 eva

Posted by: Eva at March 25, 2005 3:48 PM

i loved this game! i played it for about an hour but i had to stop to get a glass of water xD but otherwise its an awesome game! im a huge fan of your site and of your blog. you always make me laugh and i thank yuo for that.

keep up the good work!
<33 Eva

Posted by: Eva at March 25, 2005 3:51 PM

Unprecedented silliness. Love it. I really had to shout to get the piece to move up, I wish it went a little faster.

Posted by: Alisha at March 25, 2005 5:54 PM

Very fun!! A bit difficult, but that probably has more to do with my own abilities than the game. I found myself changing frequency more than volume, which worked too. Aside from maybe souping up the graphics it seems great as is!

Posted by: Leah at March 26, 2005 1:35 AM

where do you stop....? the point that the vocal chords stop functioning, your upstairs neighbor is beating on the ceiling or when the dogs start howling?

Posted by: amanda at March 26, 2005 4:08 AM

That was perhaps the most difficult thing I have done all day. Very fun, except that a lot of sounds that weren't "loud and sudden" triggered a bullet. Otherwise very cool - my mom thought I'd lost my mind.

Posted by: Gabrielle at March 26, 2005 10:45 PM

Okay, this rocked. For the record, my sounds of choice were "eeeeeeeeeeeee" and "EEEE! EEEE! EEEE!"

It would be nice if you could make it go down on command, too... maybe up/down based on high/low or loud/soft?

Posted by: Hombre Tang at April 11, 2005 10:35 PM

coo stuff! I first tried the "fewww" to float then "bang" to shoot. but wasnt too accurate, so I whipped out my guitar and playing any note kept the ball floating while hitting on the case made it shoot! after some practice was finally able to reach the required 80% game would be funner if it were somehow easier

Posted by: snowy at April 18, 2005 11:08 PM

Could the sound recognition move the player up for high sounds and down for low? This way the player could hover where the sound stops rather than fall to the bottom.

Easier? prolly.

But it could also get pretty funny to have to hit the high high notes and the low low notes in order to move to the edges.

Peace.