« i want to see this | Main | no pattern »

May 4, 2006

net neutrality

Why you should care about network neutrality. By Tim Wu

great article from slate

tags: my $keywords = "net neutrality, AT&T, future of the internet"; my @split_keywords = split(/,\s*/, $keywords); my $split_keyword; foreach $split_keyword (@split_keywords) { print ' '; }

"Planned economy"

Posted by: Slice at May 4, 2006 1:48 PM

I care. I can't stand the way these companies handle their business now. If they are allowed to re-shape the internet into their image I think I'm going hunter-gatherer.

Posted by: Red Ruin at May 4, 2006 10:08 PM

I still don't care.

Posted by: Simon at May 5, 2006 6:38 AM

I whole heartedly support what Tim Wu is saying but once again I'm left in a position where that's all I can do. Show verbal support that won't change a damn thing. Unfortunately everything always seems to be out of everyone's hands. It's always left to some arbitrary judges or elected "representatives" to decide what's 'worst' for our nation/economy/citizens.

Posted by: SlySquirrel [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 5, 2006 8:18 AM

Hi, Ze.

.....

Posted by: Luth at May 8, 2006 5:23 AM

Interesting and well written article. It really made me think about who "owns" the internet. I like the examples the author uses to illustrate his point but I question the interstate analogy. The interstate network is a public resource "owned" by the government which in turn is supposed to mean "by the people". Therefore it would be inappropriate to give preferential treatment to a subset of the population. The infrastructure of the internet is controlled by private companies much in the same way as the cable channels. Does everyone have equal voice for commercial air time or are some shown preferential treatment based upon the fee paid. Messages delivered during prime time have a different advantage than those at 2 A.M. How does that influence viewers purchasing decisions? Don't get me wrong I fully believe that internet should not limit bandwidth based on monetary influence. I think openness of the bandwidth is what has produced the most value out of it. This is why the internet continues to expand while newspapers and networks are finding they are competing harder for fewer viewers. Glad I checked out some of your other content verse looping the show continuously until your next posting.

Posted by: Rob [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 10, 2006 6:53 AM

your little mouth/nose icon at the top is missing a daisy between your lips.

Posted by: random visitor at May 10, 2006 11:51 PM

Uh . . .I just had to share with everyone that when I clicked on the link to this article, my browser displayed only a lonely expanse of orange-peel-textured maroon.

I laughed.

And then hit refresh.
A very fine article. I was on the fence, but now I've called my representatives over it. Which is quick and easy, America--go do it. :)

Thanks Ze. You are the sunbeamin my grey, cloudy,Indiana workday.
eg
p.s. that's right. grey is spelled with an e.

Posted by: Erin at May 16, 2006 3:37 PM