« more parkour | Main | from a friend of a friend »

June 4, 2006

TIME.com: How Haditha Came to Light -- Jun. 12, 2006 -- Page 1

Horrific situation. Though I hate to convict them without a trial. It sounds like the marines were crazed with vengence & blood thirsty. Women & children aparently awoken by the explosion?

Certainly harkens back to Vietnam. Where soldiers couldn't tell friend from foe & the more they tried the fewer friends there were.

Of course we were pretty universally hated before we even got there. Probably in Iraq & Vietnam. I should probably say soldiers can't tell passive hatred from blood thirsty hatred.

The way things are going Iraqis must be looking back to the good old days under Suddam.

Posted by: beowulfkg [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 5, 2006 1:41 PM

Under Saddam Hussein I meant. Three typos in one post...crap

Posted by: beowulfkg [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 5, 2006 2:05 PM

Absolutely horrific situation, but there is also something there in the meat of the article which almost makes the reader gloss over a simple element; one concerned man was able to start a watch-dog organization, and it can serve to help itself.

Under Hussein, would these men and women have been able to devise such a group? Absolutely not. Unfortunately for us, we're beginning to feel the Hussein-like squeeze on our own privacy thanks to our very own NSA. Hey boys, Can I bring you over anything for lunch?? Did you get my joke about the president and that big-ass fish?

Back to the horrifying. Let's take some really young men who have never traveled beyond the borders of the US, train them up REAL good like, tell them that they'll be surrounded by insurgents at every turn, everyone and anyone can be the enemy, absolutely no one is interested in restoring their democracy except other marines, oh, and let's not teach them ANY of the languages spoken there because we all know that NO one get's paranoid when they hear another language spoken around them that they don't understand... especially when there are firearms involved.

Personally, I would like to see a return to the days of troops gathered on battlefields in formations and take the fights out of the cities... like something the Romans and other ancient armies did. That way, any of the men who signed up to be soldiers would know EXACTLY what they are in for! Oh, and we could also eliminate some weaponry... I think we should just go back to swords and shields... and maybe sidearms like pistols and such. No more long range missiles, nuclear anything, rockets, tanks, lound banging things.... except catapults.

Posted by: kristi at June 6, 2006 1:10 PM

It's a tragedy that people die and it's worse when they're women and children. 24 bodies lay slain in an alledged Marine assault that implies murder. Unbelievable. No Marine I've ever known would have been willing to participate in such an event, nor one complicit in the act. I wasn't there, I don't know what happened. I can't judge these men.
IED deaths total in the thousands, all executed by militant extremist as a protest to the occupation. The collateral death in these attacks is no less an outrage. Because we are a legal and just (I use that term loosely) society (and that one)... we're to investigate and prosecute if necessary these Marines (as well we should)... As a Marine, I believe we are held to much higher standards and examples are to be made for every infraction. To hold these men accountable for the murderous rampage, we have carry the charge up the entire chain of command to the men who orchestrated this atmosphere of death. If these Marines are guilty, then every goddamn PNAC/ American Century hack is guilty, The CFR is guilty, the OSP in the Pentagon is guilty. Rumsfeld and Condoleezaah!(I love you too). As well as CIC Bush.

Posted by: Maddog Puppyhead at June 7, 2006 1:10 PM

I was wondering if you could post your podcast in the iTunes Music Store ... or at least publish a valid iTunes podcast feed. It would be greatly appreciated.

Dank U.

JS

Posted by: JGruuk, a monster named Gruuk but written in Java at June 16, 2006 11:26 AM

Another great link to an enlightening story. Thanks ZeFrank.

Posted by: sparkle at June 27, 2006 3:02 PM