« from a friend of a friend | Main | cohen's controversial article »

July 20, 2006

convervative conservative

Triumph of the authoritarians (Boston Globe op-ed)

an interesting piece pointing out the difference beween radical authoritarians
vs. traditional conservatives...

tags: my $keywords = "conservatives, republicans, authoritarians"; my @split_keywords = split(/,\s*/, $keywords); my $split_keyword; foreach $split_keyword (@split_keywords) { print ' '; }

Very keen article! Thanks, and I hope you're not feeling as grumpy as yesterday.

You're Loved!

Posted by: Scotto at July 20, 2006 11:11 AM

Wow. Thanks for posting this, ze. And to think that was written by John Dean, Mr. Watergate himself. Awsome!

Posted by: Kurt at July 20, 2006 1:42 PM

Great article. Gave me insight and understanding that conservatives aren't always conservatives. This day and age, though, I wouldn't want to be either.

Posted by: Duff at July 20, 2006 5:40 PM

I would like to see an article written once on how political commentators oversimplify their categories by equating right wing with conservative.

Posted by: Willie at July 20, 2006 8:16 PM

This is an excellent article. It concisely explained my unease around these so-called Neo-Cons; especially how overly protective their devotees are in regard to any criticism of their leaders.

Posted by: VickE at July 21, 2006 4:02 PM

Precisely what I've been thinking recently. Not much of a conservative or a liberal myself, but I'm definitely anti-authoritarianism.

Posted by: fish at July 21, 2006 7:08 PM

There's such a stigma to calling onesself conservative these days, and as the article aptly states, the current administration has little to do with conservatism. The political spectrum (circle) is a shifty thing. Isn't Big Government a liberal concept...?

Posted by: Cathy at July 23, 2006 12:36 AM

This is particularly appropriate coming from Mr. Dean. As I understand it, he was one of the pivotal figures in the Watergate scandal. If it weren't for certain choices he made during his career in the White House, the American public may never have known exactly how far up the Watergate scandal went. To this day, he's still considered a traitor by certain members of that old administration. But I consider him a man of integrity.

Posted by: Okelle at July 30, 2006 11:58 AM

John Dean is doing the GOP a favor, if only they'll listen. It's funny, in an interview, Dean did describe hinself as a "Goldwater conservative," then quipped that by today's standards that would be considered liberal. Heck, by today's standards, Nixon was politically moderate at least, although crooked and power hungry himself.

Charles Barkley has said "I used to be a Republican, before they lost their minds." Same date as the Dean article, I believe. The GOP should let go of the Neocons, and let them form the party of their true calling: the Nazi party.

Posted by: gypsysister at August 1, 2006 12:27 AM