« Time disconnecting the dots | Main | atheoanarchist »

August 20, 2006

wow

YouTube - The Little Girl Giant

just spectacular.

What a beautiful display of artitry and engineering. I especially enjoyed watching the children pay on the Little Girl Giant. Art is best when it is interactive. Thanks, Ze.

Posted by: Danielle at August 21, 2006 12:21 AM

That really made me feel that the world was a little bit nicer and made me cry a little too.

Doesn't beat a giant baby though.

Posted by: Sarah Woolley at August 21, 2006 8:54 AM

At first, I thought it was going to be just a Giant Baby thing, and was delighted by what I saw! Thanks Ze.

Posted by: sford [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 21, 2006 9:58 AM

Posted by: sford [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 21, 2006 10:46 AM

That was beautiful. Thank you.

Posted by: Jaime at August 21, 2006 12:42 PM

Only the best from ze... I also wish they'd come to America - I know this wouldn't be made fun of in San Francisco! Little Girl Giant would be right at home in Golden Gate Park!

Posted by: Lala at August 21, 2006 2:02 PM

that turned my day right around. thanks for unearthing the beauty on the web and sharing it.

Posted by: shiftless at August 21, 2006 2:38 PM

The tongue was kinda freaky. But other than that it was cool.

Posted by: LucyBob Cassidy at August 21, 2006 3:11 PM

I went and saw this when it was here and it was like the aliens had landed in St James Park...it made my year.

The elephant was so elephanty...the artistry that went into the work was something else.

Posted by: katypie at August 21, 2006 3:44 PM

beautiful yes, but also a little bit creppy for some reason

Posted by: vertigo at August 21, 2006 9:42 PM

Great video that makes my day. I way kindly surprised by what I saw.

Thank you for sharing this video with me !

Posted by: Maria making pictures at August 22, 2006 10:20 AM

Uhm..straight up, I thought that was creepy. I appreciate the effort that went into it and Im not trying to make fun of it. Maybe if the music wasnt so fucked.
Or maybe it has something to do with my fear of puppets.

Posted by: SqueeBop at August 22, 2006 4:15 PM

Giant sized children make me want to take a shower.

Posted by: Phast Phood at August 22, 2006 6:10 PM

That is wonderful, I wish I could have seen it. I doubt they will ever travel to Canada though, so this is the next best thing, thanks for the link. :)

Posted by: Likalia [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 22, 2006 6:57 PM

Too Cool, all day long tomorrow, I will walk around expecting and hoping to see giants. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: nowheredense at August 22, 2006 11:41 PM

She reminds me of a monster from Final Fantasy 2 (http://www.ffinsider.net/ff4/sprites/boss/calbrina.gif).
I kind of wanna cast Fire3 on her.

Posted by: clofresh at August 23, 2006 5:30 PM

That was amazing. Her movements looked so natural. I'm just scared of what her dad looks like.

Posted by: Maligndeviant at August 24, 2006 7:11 AM

I saw this in London too. It was splendid. Though at one point the little girl squatted down and did a wee in the middle of the park. Classy.

Posted by: gemmur at August 24, 2006 7:40 AM

Nothing special, I mean from the engineering point of view but she looks fantastic. I envy "gemmur", I would like to see that show too.

Posted by: sam at August 24, 2006 4:05 PM

The work that went into those puppets is amazing. So is the expertise of the puppeteers. Now I want to go rewatch "Being John Malkovich".

Posted by: Ariel at August 24, 2006 8:53 PM

I said it before (on Zadi blog) and I'll say it again: freaky, just plain damn freaky. You can call it artistry, you can call it fantastical, that's all fine and good. But goddammit, that big bitch freaked me out.

Posted by: Steve Woolf [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 25, 2006 5:44 AM

CREEPY I SAY, WHO WANTS TO WATCH A GIANT PUPPET GIRL LICK A POPSICLE, I AM A STRAIGHT GIRL, AND ONCE THE THOUGHT OF EROTICISM CAME IN MY MIND, OR THE FEELING OF THATS SEXUAL, I WAS LIKE,
WHAT ARE THE MEN THAT ARE THERE DOING,STANDING THERE WITH HARD ONS?
TGIF!!!!!

Posted by: Eden at August 25, 2006 4:53 PM

I'm with the "that was beautiful" camp and thought the best part was when the girl giant seemed to be looking down at the little blond girl on her arm. And I liked the music too--Blossom Dearie's voice is so odd, it fit the mood perfectly.

Posted by: Kimberlyesque at August 26, 2006 9:36 PM

I was there in London. It was phenomenal. I loved the way they advertised that it was happening but not what was happening, or where.

I literally got up one weekend, put on my coat got my oyster card - and set off to hunt down an 40ft elephant and a giant wooden girl.

It was a fucking special weekend.

Posted by: Lave at August 31, 2006 7:06 PM

I really enjoyed the film clip. I was a bit surprised that they let kids ride on the arms, that is, until I saw that this was in England. In the US, they wouldn't be able to afford the insurance.

Posted by: John Huey at September 2, 2006 2:53 PM

It's things like that, things of pure whimsy, that makes you feel good about being Human. Something that's getting increasingly difficult to do in today's world.

Posted by: John at September 3, 2006 4:46 PM

wtf thats the scariest shit ever. someone needs a psych exam.

Posted by: the cara at September 10, 2006 2:48 AM

Not freaky! Amazing! I liked how the red-coated men in waiting showered her and got the sultan's daughter's socks and shoes on. Who hasn't always wanted to play with either tiny or giant people?

Posted by: Kate at September 10, 2006 10:04 AM

I miss Dana's Game. I am so not smart enough to
for the animated one, even though I try. Even if
Dana did something to you, can you make another
easy one with someone else's name, like mine?
(tia) Thank you so much for all of the joy you have given me and my friends. You are really famous here in Knoxville, TN!

Posted by: tia at September 11, 2006 6:18 PM

uhmm doesnt this creep anyone else out??

Posted by: Kira at September 13, 2006 1:22 AM

Just because no one understands it doesn't make it "art".

People seem determined to enjoy anything these days as long as it has the aura of spectacle about it.

Thanks for the link, ze, now I have one more reason to dislike the French.

Posted by: bobdodge at September 14, 2006 7:21 AM

Marvellous. I saw (by accident) that elephant in London, on Picadiily Circus. It was magical.

Posted by: pauldwaite at September 14, 2006 7:05 PM

Great to finally see the video of this! I was captivated by it when I saw the images some time ago ... and the editing seems to have captured the exquisite magic of the live performance. I love the way that many stories have evolved out of the event ... all about what it meant to see and participate in the event. Funny how "bringing something to life" can bring us all together.

Posted by: Gavin Heaton at September 17, 2006 8:50 PM

Thanks so much ze.
Puppets are rarely boring.
It was the perfect ingredient for my anti-ennui stew.
Cheers.