« just watched this | Main | really excellent idea »

October 21, 2006

disturbing but beautiful

Baginski - Fallen Art Video

this reminded me of the film Delicatessen http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101700/ by, Marc Caro and Jean-Pierre Jeunet, disturbingly dark, fascinating and sweet.

Posted by: what's in a name? at October 21, 2006 4:00 PM

that's extraordinary; thanks so much for posting the link. I'm going ot track down more of his work.

(also: it had a duckie.)

Posted by: k at October 22, 2006 11:23 AM

Although the story line reminded me of our own puppeteer here in the US, the animator has to be Russian or Eastern European. I caught a whiff of Bulgakov and Kundera.

Posted by: I can't remember anymore at October 23, 2006 2:38 PM

My first thought was -- this is a really postmodern take on the danse macabre. My second thought was -- I've been hanging around academes for way too long. But my third thought was an attempt to map the current situation in Iraq with the cartoon and the danse macabre.

Would the man arranging the dance be Death or Bush?

Posted by: Sweet Georgia Peach at October 24, 2006 3:20 PM

disturbing yet amazing. it reminded me of George Plimpton's work, except with more detailed shading and darker humor.

Posted by: deb at October 27, 2006 1:04 AM

That was truly bizarre. The dancing scene was excellently animated though!

Posted by: Anita at November 5, 2006 1:39 AM

FIY Baginski is a polish artist, who also made "cathedra" (unfortunetly, he didnt win an oscar, but he was nominated). Cathedra is based on novel by polish sci-fi writer Jacek Dukaj...

Posted by: Xezzy at November 5, 2006 4:27 PM

Ok - I'm a little disturbed... but amazed at the same time! What a find huh?

Posted by: scgrafixchik at November 6, 2006 2:39 PM

That really was incredible, thanks a lot Ze. To anyone who wants to see The Cathedral: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/113120/the_catedral/

Posted by: skilldrick at November 14, 2006 1:20 PM