« its the details that scare me | Main | mesmerized me »

January 24, 2007

wish i could see this in person

chiho aoshima :: wall panels for london undrground

I wish you could, too. It's beautiful. I will send you pictures of me looking at it in person! You are lucky, Mr. Frank.

Posted by: Peter at January 24, 2007 9:20 PM

Whoa. I didn't have that much imagination when I was five. How creepy/beautiful.

Posted by: Rebecca at January 25, 2007 1:26 AM

Wow. I wish they brought art like that to the stations where I live. What a great way to brighten up what would otherwise be a drab and dull place.

Posted by: Jaime at January 25, 2007 1:05 PM

...And to think I was there in September. I was bummed to hear about it after I came back. It reminds me of Miyazaki’s animations.

Posted by: Zeyn at January 25, 2007 3:57 PM

Murakami and his followers are all heroes of mine. Secretly, I learned japanese because of my fantasy of someday becoming his art slave.

Posted by: FJeff at January 25, 2007 5:22 PM

Wow! Chiho Aoshima lives in our bathroom! Perhaps someday soon we will all become hills or wormlike skyscrapers. It reminds me of a poem by Richard Brautigan:
I'd like to think (and
the sooner the better!)
of a cybernetic meadow
where mammals and computers
live together in mutually
programming harmony
like pure water
touching clear sky.

I like to think
(right now, please!)
of a cybernetic forest
filled with pines and electronics
where deer stroll peacefully
past computers
as if they were flowers
with spinning blossoms.

I like to think
(it has to be!)
of a cybernetic ecology
where we are free of our labors
and joined back to nature,
returned to our mammal brothers and sisters,
and all watched over
by machines of loving grace.

Posted by: Old Grimy at January 28, 2007 7:33 PM

That is unspeakably beautiful.

Posted by: Reverend Kate at February 1, 2007 7:03 PM

I'm glad these are still up. I saw them on a brief trip to London, and I couldn't decide if I was sad or happy that they will eventually be replaced with something else, just as they are replacing previous art.

Posted by: Sarah at February 5, 2007 8:36 PM

i only got to see these briefly , interspersed with passing tube trains and people, but they were beautiful.It was sad to know that they were only ephemeral, but perhaps that added to their beauty.

Posted by: auntybody at February 7, 2007 10:36 AM

Gah! I was just there. That would have been great to see in person.

Has anyone seen the cartoon that plays in one of the Paris metro stops? This little girl eats a fish that stays alive in her stomach. Then there's Elvis. I'm not sure what was going on.

Posted by: Ben at February 8, 2007 1:42 AM