« almost sell-able | Main | the unfortunate »

February 27, 2007

not sure why this makes me feel strange...

i rarely post direct solicitations for link exchanges...but this was bizarre enough that i had to bite :: Fur-Ever Creations Home Page

That is creepy on a whole lot of levels. How do you get enough long hair to make enough yarn to make anything? Why? Are there all of these shaved pets somewhere looking pissed?

Posted by: Faith at February 27, 2007 10:18 PM

Oh wow...I had a roommate that did that for me once - She proudly gave me a choker necklace made of my cat's fur. Strangest gift I've ever recieved...and I still have it.

Posted by: Paige at February 27, 2007 10:30 PM

when i brush my dog, i often think there i gather enough fur to knit another dog, but i never thought anyone would consider really knitting with it.

gotta love the slogan: everything but the slobber.

Posted by: Is at February 27, 2007 11:26 PM

Why not...they make yarn out of bunny, sheep, and llama fuzz. I can tell ya one thing, my kitten is definately softer than a sheep.

Posted by: vigilant20 at February 27, 2007 11:31 PM

I remember in the mid 90's when China was just opening up, they pulled all these coats off the rack because the fur around the hood was made with dog hair. The idea of eating or wearing a potential pet seems to sicken Americans. Maybe I can understand Hindus a bit more because of that.
Not sure whatever became of those coats and if they've found their way back into the market, dog is cheap in Asia. Sometimes the price of free trade is bizarre. I could never wear a pet or anything that was part of the family.

Posted by: bing at February 27, 2007 11:35 PM

Alright, look. I have three dogs, and I'm not, as they say, as "tidy" as one might expect/want/desire/think is necessary when a person has three dogs.

There are frequently great tumbleweeds of dog hair collected where walls meet floors, around table legs, etc. Okay. The shit is everywhere.

And someone gave me a book about knitting clothing (I'm a knitter) out of dog hair. That person is obviously some kind of passive-aggressive b-i-t-c-h, and the Wall Street Journal had this to say about this particular book: ""You're harvesting what would normally end up clogging your vacuum cleaner anyway." --The Wall Street Journal"

And I've been trying to find the time to knit this p-a-b a new sweater for Christmas for two years. Obviously, this website is th place for me. It's the spinning of the yarn that is so time consuming!

Thank you, ze!

Posted by: Viki at February 28, 2007 12:01 AM

Like a postage stamp?

Posted by: Akubi at February 28, 2007 12:28 AM

Well the sweaters in my closet came from anonymous sheep, so it's not all that sick and twisted. But the dog is a member of the family, right? And we wouldn't go spelunking through the bathroom, harvesting hairbrushes, would we? Yeah, it's a little twisted.

Posted by: Kyle at February 28, 2007 12:31 PM

I am so going to do this some day. I have a long haired cat whose fur is softer than anything you can imagine. Thanks, Ze!

Its not sick, the animals aren't skinned, you just collect loose fur.

Posted by: Gus at February 28, 2007 6:32 PM

I don't know if they were being passive aggressive. You knit, you have dogs = book on knitting from dog hair.

When my cat was young we used to ship her brushed out fur to some lady who apparently did this. My mom sent her a lot, but eventually got fed up with never hearing back about it or getting news or a thank you so she stopped.

The memory patch makes some sense to me, but on some level this does creep me out a bit. Even if I wear the same from sheep or llamas.

Posted by: HearsVoices at February 28, 2007 10:10 PM

I think your friend needs some doggie wool gloves for her birthday this year. ;-)

I dogsit for my neighbor's aussie shepherd/rotty mix. I keep threatening to take his fluffy dog to the groomer this summer. Now I have an even more sinister plan. hee hee heee...It would be pay back for all the hot summers with a 10 inch black coat. The dog can be cool while his master wears the sweater.

Posted by: beffiie at March 1, 2007 8:33 AM

When my father turned 40, my mother gathered all of the fur that resulted from brushing our cat and put it into a box as a joke toupee for his birthday.

Posted by: consumatron at March 1, 2007 10:39 PM

Wife: Honey? Remember all those toenail clippings you thought you threw away?
Husband: Um, no.
Wife: Well, you know how I've been into making mosaics lately...
Husband: Christ, I should have just used a nail file...
Wife: And I just love you so much!
Husband:...to stab myself in the eyes.

Posted by: h at March 1, 2007 11:28 PM

Wait... does this make you feel "strange" in a good or bad way?

As much as I like knitting, and my pets, I don't want to combine the two.

Posted by: Gretel Shuvzwichinstov at March 2, 2007 3:48 PM

From the 2002 collection "Knit Lit", there's a great and very funny story "Never Knit Dog".

Posted by: Edward Vielmetti at March 3, 2007 1:47 AM

Ho gosh! I think the FBI should be informed about this!

Posted by: Paintings by Mike at March 3, 2007 3:49 AM

Does this mean you can have an Irish Setter Sweater?

Posted by: Gus at March 3, 2007 8:36 PM

that is definitely bizarre!....lol

Posted by: How to start a clothing line from scratch at March 7, 2007 12:51 AM

What a nice BLOG--actually its not really a BLOG--its a directory -like my directory www.pagerankluck.com-just so many resources!!!

I have a small BLOG --please visit it and leave your valuable comments and advice.

Regards