« roto beauty | Main | stumpy the collaborative music video »

March 23, 2007

not so giant...but potent

GameDrift - Technology and Gaming Combined - Articles - 22 Month Old Baby Rocks at Wii Sports :: Armageddon

it reminds me in a round about way of that project in Indian where PCs were put outside for the local uneducated kids to use and within weeks they were browsing the net chatting etc without having been taught anything

Posted by: stevegeek at March 23, 2007 6:16 PM

Looks like proof that Nintendo s in league with the Giant Baby to train a new generation of warriors.

THE END IS NEAR!!!!!
(or at least some really coordinated toddlers_

Posted by: BlakNyte at March 23, 2007 6:49 PM

That's so misleading. The kid didn't score a single point.

Posted by: Jimmy at March 23, 2007 6:59 PM

the fact that said child scored no points does not detract from the cuteness factor.

Posted by: simon refrains at March 23, 2007 7:52 PM

Something just doesn't seem right when this baby is playing. It's almost like he's not retarded enough to just swing wildly, but instead.......reacts with the game......

When I was two I was shooting poop out every hole in my body

Posted by: Graham at March 23, 2007 9:03 PM

it reminds me of an article i read in EGM when they took a Wii to a retirement home. http://gamevideos.com/video/id/9490

the article was better then the video

Posted by: Jessica at March 23, 2007 9:43 PM

this troubles me. playing video games are to a toddler's brain development as giving them the keys to the car and saying, "here, go drive." something's bound to go wrong. the gestures he was making with the controller bothered me most, what brain path ways is this child developing? insightful to the future

Posted by: letsdoastudy at March 24, 2007 5:05 AM

I agree with you, letsdoastudy. I don't know that it's prudent child-rearing to let the kid have at videogames so young. I'm not concerned just with how it's affecting brain development (really just if played to the exclusion of other activities), but also with exposing the child to such a strong and endless source of rewards. Just how much is that kid going to like videogames later in life? I'm not saying to bar videogames, but that I hope the parents are proceeding with caution.

And do you know what else was cute? Foot-binding. Then people realized it was debilitating and smelled bad; not to mention that someone had to carry those people around... I read that the true connoiseur of bound feet savored the unperfumed smell of the festering bound foot.

Posted by: dukeofnavarre at March 24, 2007 10:47 AM

I think footbinding is a pretty horrible analogy. Footbinding is not entertaining and it could often be incredibly painful; understanding rules of a virtual environment is just as enlightening for a child's psychological development as understanding the rules that govern the real world - in fact there may even be benefits in a more fluid conception of reality. There may be disadvantages to this but the main effect will be difference: successive generations are going to be MUCH more comfortable with interfaces and interactive environments than we are. It's already the case with the average gen x or y kid compared to the baby boomers in terms of computer literacy, and the coming generations in the western world will be growing up with wii and similar technology as natural and commonplace.

Posted by: Ben at March 24, 2007 11:03 AM

What's the difference between letting a kid play a game like Wii Tennis and playing a non-electronic game like, say, Candyland? Both are governed by distinct arbitrary rulesets, both reward the winners for following the rules and playing well, both reward identification of shapes and colors. I'd say this is even more beneficial for the child, as it builds hand-eye coordination and motor skills. And look at how that kid was paying attention! Try getting any other 2 year old to pay attention to one thing for that long, I dare you.

Posted by: Lhyzz at March 24, 2007 1:38 PM

I don't know... His spinning and jumping looks a bit like a power move. Could this be a double agent?

Posted by: consumatron at March 24, 2007 6:56 PM

the kid has figured out how to skip the annoying instant replays! he's definitely playing--he just doesn't have the motor capability to handle what his brain is telling his body to do. as for other forms of "brain development" -- the utter joy on his face when he tumbles says plenty.

Posted by: ctmystic at March 24, 2007 8:15 PM

All I said was that the parents should be careful.

The difference between a videogame and candyland is one of replayability. You can play a videogame alone, initiate it alone, and ultimately reward yourself alone, indefinitely. The losses and victories of the game work like a fast-paced variable reward system. It's extremely potent and fosters playing for longer periods without any kind of reward. I think it's generally accepted that nearly anything can become addicting, but you don't hear too many cases of board game addictions.

Also, learning to play the Wii should logically not tell a child anything about how to use a computer or be more tech savvy. That's the point of a gaming console - you don't have to be tech savvy to buy a console at the store, buy the games, and play them. A monkey could do it.

There are convincing arguments for both sides, and that's where science comes in - otherwise it's just philosophy. letsdoastudy had the right idea.

Posted by: dukeofnavarre at March 24, 2007 10:07 PM

I'm surprised how many people do not realize the importance of the first three to seven years regarding the physical well being and brain development of the human child. Children need to be exploring their physical space with their physical body, video games are a mental activity. Those brain pathways are under construction during these vital years, they last a life time. We’ve seen the brain scans of children exposed and children not exposed to both TV and video games, the difference is astounding. Chiefly, the effects of the “video brain” are the difficulty these children struggle with when developing their listening and comprehension skills. Video games and TV exacerbate those problems. More controlled studies are underway so we’ll be hearing much more about this topic in the future. What’s most disheartening is that these video brain children will suffer at a higher rate because they are more likely to fall under control of the giant baby.

Posted by: letsdoastudy at March 25, 2007 12:05 AM

Despite this child's obviously advanced intelligence, do we know he can initiate the game himself? He'd have to identify the disk, press power, select the right game setting, etc., (I've never played on a Wii before [woe is me], so I may not be correct on the details).

Anyway, I'm thinking that the Wii is a unique combination of both mental and physical. This kid is hopping around in "his physical space," and he understands that the cartoon on the screen is a representation of himself, and that his physical actions influence the actions of the cartoon. That's some pretty advanced thinking for a toddler who is not yet two years old.

"you don't hear too many cases of board game addictions."
You've never been to DexCon, have you? (Jokes for nerds!)

Posted by: Lhyzz at March 25, 2007 2:07 AM

Who taught the Giant Baby to play Wii? World domination cannot be far behind...

On another note - he's not wearing the wrist strap! All that flailing in front of that nice TV - it's a recipe for disaster.

Posted by: Toast Head at March 25, 2007 7:41 PM

He is wearing the wrist strap, actually. It's tightened on him with the plastic thingy, and the slack is flailing about.

I played Nintendo at that age, and I turned out fine...OK...decent...I can function! :D

That kid is awesome.

Posted by: Mary Mary Quite Contrary at March 25, 2007 8:16 PM

I laughed when he fell.
Course, he did too so it's all gravy.

Posted by: Violet Hemlock at March 26, 2007 8:21 AM

Lucky kid gets to play a Wii; at 22 months (reportedly) the most I could muster was sitting on a Vic-20 and then turning around to see all the letters and weird symbols I made.

Posted by: maus at March 26, 2007 1:52 PM