« blah blah | Main | a nice distraction »

March 29, 2007

when public servants have a sense of humor

i was sent this exchange between a guy who complained about a burst water main, and the city official who replied.

A public servant with a sense of humor?? What is this world coming to?

Oh yeah, they're picking up the slack from the missing Show... :)

Posted by: girlie_sportsracer at March 29, 2007 9:21 AM

My faith in humanity has been restored. Temporarily, I'm sure. Just until the next time I watch the news.

Posted by: brightpearl at March 29, 2007 10:32 AM

that made me smile.

Posted by: wosepedals at March 29, 2007 12:28 PM

I love it! I hope she doesn't get in trouble for being clever and funny.

Posted by: there's still hope! at March 29, 2007 12:45 PM

brilliant

Posted by: Greg Wineman at March 29, 2007 1:55 PM

These two people are clearly destined to marry and raise raccoons.

Posted by: Kate at March 29, 2007 2:51 PM

building a pool represents merely a fraction of what this man does to honor woodland creatures on a regular basis. He passionately devotes time and effort towards a reparation of sorts... for all the innocent creatures that find themselves homeless or worse due to the encroachment of civilization. Karmicly gifted indeed.

Posted by: jj at March 29, 2007 3:45 PM

I am the guy with the watermain. Its amazing how the internet works. People have been calling the water company etc congradulating them on having a sense of humor.
I also posted their email here:

Just for the record, they are refunding me half my water bill.

Posted by: Justin VonHagen at March 29, 2007 3:50 PM

wow - that was like a low-grade finding Ray.

now i really hope nobody gets in trouble.

Posted by: wosepedals at March 29, 2007 4:49 PM

I don't suppose anyone would find it amusing to edit her letter for accuracy and then send it back. Okay, I would. It'd be consistent with the joke and really, it could start a smart alec correspondence from hebbin. Oh wait, people have lives. Never mind.

Posted by: Boo at March 29, 2007 8:04 PM

I feel a sense of brotherhood with the publishers when I read those letters. People tend to be very matter of fact and detached when they write correspondence, no matter how much effort the initiating party spends on humanizing his communication.

What bothers me, however, is that these letters are published in their entirety on the internet. Who are the writers I ask, what motivates them to write in a fashion counter to that common in business discourse ? No boilerplate, humor, real life consequences....

You rock Ze.

Posted by: Dudley DoWrite at March 29, 2007 10:11 PM

My brother is my best friend, I would do anything for him. Can anyone help me ? this is his profile. fogetabowdit.

Date of Birth:
February 1, 1985
Age:
Biography:
cliff dweller, and part-time soothsayer
Interests:
making homemade yogurt, and cow massage
Location:
Red Hook, Brooklyn

Posted by: Tony (the enforcer) Pasqali at March 29, 2007 10:18 PM

"Cute Species Act Permit" Hahahahaha!

Posted by: kaninchen at March 29, 2007 11:14 PM

As much I dislike Bellevue, I have to admit that was pretty cute.

Posted by: Christina at March 29, 2007 11:44 PM