« stumpy the collaborative music video | Main | awful »

March 26, 2007

wish i could see them a bit bigger

Eddie Breen brings us "piggyback art", in which he completes other people's paintings that he deems incomplete. :: he's been busy. :: the thumbnails are in paired grouping... unlike the preview when you get to the page you'll have to step forward to see the befores and afters. :: his blog explains each piece. (thanks knittyotter)

Wow. What not to look at right when you wake up. Aside from the trippiness of the pictures themselves, it's really weird to see the art violated. Paintings, in my experience, are treated very carefully and set up behind ropes.

I kept trying to imagine how I would feel if I was one of those artists and saw my painting had been painted over in a way that's so far from my intention. It's strange.

Posted by: Ben at March 26, 2007 9:42 PM

Finsterrific!
These are seriously an art therapist's wet dream.

Posted by: hananza at March 26, 2007 10:53 PM

Busy, I'll say! What a unique and fun idea!

Posted by: artstudent at March 27, 2007 1:54 AM

Nightmare fodder. Angry art? I might go buy some old cruddy art from the thrift store and try it myself though.

Posted by: Queenbeenan at March 27, 2007 3:37 AM

I don't like any of it - not much talent needed to desecrate a "real" work of art. :(

Posted by: Sue at March 27, 2007 9:04 AM

It's fascinating the various reactions to this man's conception of art.

I personally see it not as destroying the original creator’s conception, but reliving it almost. That's what art is, isn't it.

The creator has an idea and unfolds it into a living material piece. Then the moment it is put out into the world and other eyes and minds take it in, it grows and changes with the experiences of the viewer's lived perspective. It becomes not what the original creator envisioned, but a whole new expression of the individuals own ideas. We would all see the works with our own groupings of shared or unique experiences, but also trying to factor in what the original creator had in mind. Even then our idea of the intent may only be imagined if we have no clue what was intended. *L*

As for this being a desecration of the original works or art I see the opposite. Many of his finds would have sat hidden in basements or garages going unseen.

If a piece of art isn’t viewed does it really exist? *L*

I’d have to say no personally. Art doesn’t come to life until it has a mind to give it depth and meaning.

The cool thing about Mr. Breen’s works is that we get to see inside his mind at what he would envision for each piece. But as with everything in the world it’s no longer his alone once it’s released into the world. My perspective and yours get the pleasure of translating what we see depicted on the canvas.

My life experience has allowed me a perspective to enjoy these paintings. Several of the social and political commentaries resonate with me and that shared experience of “getting it” makes me feel less alone in the world.

Maybe if I get it. And he gets it. And some other people get it the world can change for the better.

But who knows. In years to come time and life will alter the meanings of these works and maybe some new generation will relive them for their time.

Either way I like it. ;^)

You’re Welcome, Ze.

*OtterHuggles*

Posted by: KnittyOtter at March 27, 2007 2:56 PM

hmmm, interesting, but the use of incomplete is not a fitting discription since the original is so far from the "fix". The artists are reaching for different things...it would be like someone telling me that the pie I made was incomplete and in the process of finishing it they made it into a pizza..

Posted by: Rodger at March 27, 2007 9:13 PM