« point of ultimate contrition | Main | "bursting with joy" »

April 16, 2007

between the panels

just finished Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art: Books: by Scott McCloud :: highly recommend it to anyone interested in media. the first half especially (not sure i completely agree with where he ends up, but its still worth the ride)

Great book. Really interesting exploration of how we not only perceive comics, but the world around us. The second book "Reinventing Comics" isn't quite as interesting. Or rather, it's interesting, but not in the same way.

Posted by: illustraTom at April 16, 2007 7:11 PM

That book really changed my whole perception of art and comics. That was part of the two catalysts that made me want to be a comic author. It's rare to have that kind of insight into the human creation of art as that book does in any kind of publication.

Posted by: oldschoolrobot at April 16, 2007 8:14 PM

Great book. He was on tour through Indianapolis recently promoting, the third book in the whole comic book about comic books series "Making Comics", (which I haven't read). He has a blog and an interesting website at: www.scottmccloud.com

Posted by: JeffDe at April 16, 2007 8:25 PM

Hey. Come back for a day. We need you today.

Posted by: Sarah at April 16, 2007 8:43 PM

His latest book, Making Comics, was just released a few months back. A lot of what he talks about also deals with the web. I had the pleasure of meeting him last month and plan on doing an interview about comics and the web very soon.

Posted by: evolvor at April 16, 2007 10:42 PM

HAH! I loved that book! Being the cartoony person I am, it really inspired me and I was amazed by things I never noticed in comics. Like the Gutter. Hahaha. Good stuff.

Posted by: funy_mony at April 16, 2007 11:56 PM

looks like a fun recursion :)

I'll check it out.

Posted by: Alice at April 17, 2007 12:00 AM

I really admire McCloud's attempt to codify and classify the art of comics. Writing the book in 1993, it would be interesting to talk to him about comics 2007 and comic book creators working now who might flummox his LCD worries.

For further reading, check out this site on Eadweard Muybridge and his proto-comics photography http://www.masters-of-photography.com/M/muybridge/muybridge_bucket_of_water_full.html

Posted by: Jackie at April 17, 2007 7:35 AM

Ze, Please, oh pretty pretty please, let us see you one more time.

Thanks.

I will buy you something

Posted by: Duck cartoons at April 17, 2007 9:14 AM

Ze,

We need to her from you. If we don't hear from you soon we will will assume you have moved to Amsterdam.

JD

Posted by: Jane Dough at April 17, 2007 4:36 PM

As a cartoonist, I find Scott's theories and teachings to be like little golden nuggets of "how to do this thing that's your job".
I've always wondered how people who don't necessarily make comics perceive the book, so that's cool you liked it.

Posted by: Chris Hastings at April 18, 2007 9:56 AM

Yo Ze, do you still want that 'On Photography' book ? I got one lying around me flat.

Posted by: Gunther Krauss at April 18, 2007 8:55 PM

Going to art school, I took a class called "Sequential Art." I was delighted to find that this was actually used as our required text book. In one of the first chapters, McCloud has a hilariously long-winded definition of what art category comics fall into.

Posted by: Andy at April 19, 2007 5:05 PM

I've always felt that Understanding Comics should be required reading for an introductory film editing course - the whole bit about the different types of panel progressions immediately apply to film, and he lays it out in a very clear manner.

Posted by: wharper at April 20, 2007 9:32 AM

I, too, loved the book. I think it's been added as the main text for a film theory class where I studied film.

Posted by: habile b at April 21, 2007 9:39 PM

There is an interview with Scott McCloud in April's The Believer http://www.believermag.com/issues/200704/?read=interview_mccloud

Posted by: Jackie at April 24, 2007 2:44 PM