« why put "girlfriend" in quotes? | Main | mai tai is better than your thai »

April 21, 2007

daxflame

a 15 year olds rantings on his universe :: when video confessionals are infused with a fragile awareness of audience :: personally i find browsing this riveting, but have a hard time expressing why :: (hey research team - any way to find out whether this is acted?) :: update - daxflame exposed?

Is it probable that he's just an actor? Like the girl who read the sad poem on youtube?

I feel bad for him if he's not an actor.

Posted by: FactorOf23 at April 21, 2007 4:12 AM

To be 15, unaware of everything, but the comedy, the tragedy and all those dangly arms and legs

Posted by: drama at April 21, 2007 5:08 AM

Hmmmm... interesting, but it looks like acting to me. I also have a hard time expressing why :).

Posted by: Barry at April 21, 2007 9:11 AM

I think you may have found the next Sports Racer that all of the old 'The Show' fans can gether around and cheer into fame and fortune.

Thanks.

Posted by: De Plank at April 21, 2007 11:03 AM

There is something really poweful about young people with a voice. When i see kids being honest about their personal lives, it generally makes me sad. We were all 15 and parts of that, some times a lot of that, sucked.

Watching that stuff makes me want to become a foster parent and stop smoking and teach kids how to deal with life. Then I remember that I'm not sure how to do that myself, and I don't know how to teach it to somebody else.

Posted by: wosepedals at April 21, 2007 12:49 PM

that's an expose response to daxflame's videos. it's almost as creepy as dax himself in a stalkerish kinda way. most of it stems from daxflame.com being registered to a jeff patrello, supposedly his father and owner of a local texas comedy troup.

now can i have a duckie? hope life is treating you well ze ... i miss the show!

Posted by: drew at April 21, 2007 2:50 PM

I read on some forum somewhere that there's a picture out there (which I have never seen) of him with the guy behind Lonelygirl, and that the domain daxflame.com has already been registered by the same guy.

This is all completely hearsay, though. I want badly for this to be fake. I love watching but sometimes I feel physical pain from it.

Posted by: groovewaffle at April 21, 2007 3:52 PM

whether this person is an actor or not, it seems to me that there is something ethically wrong with that. As a parent of a 13 year old with a learning/social disability, my back gets up a bit. This is still a child, and maybe needs some protection still. I can only imagine what my child would say online if they had the chance...

Posted by: mcwhclan at April 21, 2007 4:02 PM

I think he's definitely acting. Take a look at the motion pictures he makes and it becomes clear that he's just blowing the typical problems of a 15-year-old social retard out of proportion. That and some of the editing and acting is so ridiculously bad that nobody so firmly in the limelight would be able to continue taking himself as seriously as he leads the audience to believe.

Posted by: Jordan S at April 21, 2007 4:57 PM

We are all just sock puppets anyway. What suproses me is that people seem to expect anything to be real on Web 2.0.

NOTHING is what it seems.

Posted by: Apparent Agent at April 21, 2007 6:28 PM

Why does it matter if he is acting ? I ssume everything is an act. I am usually right.

Who are you today ?

Posted by: Suck Poppet at April 21, 2007 6:32 PM

If he's real, it's painful to watch. But one of his subscribers, LordBarkisBittern, (aka James Mulligan-Hill, a New Zealander) is interesting and shows promise a a future gay celebrity. If Stephen Fry and Alan Rickman could have a child, this would be the result.

Posted by: fallriver at April 21, 2007 8:49 PM

Ze, promise you're real!

Posted by: Ben at April 21, 2007 9:25 PM

real or fake, i can barely stand one minute of it. sorry, but this is some rough going.

Posted by: Imagine at April 21, 2007 9:44 PM

I absolutely do not understand the appeal of Dax Flame. If he's real he's pathetic and if he's acting he's just not funny.

Ugh. So bad.

Posted by: Alex at April 22, 2007 5:29 PM

I haven't been able to sit through enough episodes to feel any attachment to Dax, however based on what I've seen in his videos and responses to them, it's a pretty interesting social movement. It's incredibly raw (whether it's staged or not, young people are watching in their droves), terribly edited, and somehow really, really compelling to a lot of people. I found myself squirming over editorial decisions in the content (like not cutting out anything no matter how inarticulate you begin to look) and the technical "flaws" in the editing itself while watching the Dax Exposed video... and still I'm fascinated by this need to express to a sea of stangers. If these vloggers were adult, we'd be calling them complete crackpots. Because they're 15, we feel the need to protect them.

Posted by: molly at April 23, 2007 7:35 AM

I wouldn’t want to be around this kid for long, his desperation is disturbing. Being an urban dweller, compared to his peers, his emotional state appears to be stunted. If this is an act, I suppose it may be helpful to some, but potentially dangerous to the sad and lonely, those he portrays. For the feral, he certainly feeds their fury to bully. If this Erklelike kid is for real, he's too smart for his own good and in need of more sports, physical challenges and a clarinet. Boys are just like weird an junk. Watching this kid make me want to hack into the neo-cortex for a little cosmetic memory deletion.

Posted by: so this is the internet on evolution at April 23, 2007 4:48 PM

"Yeah, How'd you know that?" "Magic..."

Posted by: bboozie3000 at April 24, 2007 10:54 AM

People, it's the internet - everything you see is real!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Phil at April 24, 2007 5:07 PM

For the videos to be real would require that Dax have something along the lines of Aspergers Autism, and having worked with numerous autistics over the past few years, I think this looks less like a legitimate case than an exagerated portrayal of a legitimate case.

Posted by: iwishiwasZEN at April 25, 2007 10:23 AM

Posted by: fakefakefakefakefake at April 27, 2007 2:55 AM

He has too many power moves to count:

Posted by: T_E_N at April 27, 2007 1:40 PM

Definitely an actor. The best expose was by YouTube user "FaderAid" (NOT Sigafoo's) and was JUST taken down. But check out this blog: http://www.happyscrappy.com/blog/archives/004013.html

LG15 started what many more (including Ze, in some aspects) are now starting to explore further. What will self and group expression look like in web 2.0?

Check out Dax's new girl friend too:

I don't think his girl, GreenTeaGirlie, is fake, but she seems to be attempting something akin to Ze's interactive work and Nalt's "GooTube Conspiracy" with the game she's putting together.

And an interesting (and self serving) article:

Let me know what you think, Sportsracers. Miss the show.

AwkRando.

Posted by: AwkRando at April 27, 2007 7:39 PM

the next borat!!

Posted by: Sara at April 27, 2007 10:08 PM

his "girlfriend" GreenTeaGirlie is almost certainly a fake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jdDhRS8b8A

Posted by: greg at April 28, 2007 12:34 AM

dax flame yet exposed even more:

Posted by: Pirates and Fish at April 29, 2007 6:29 PM