« all the songs from the show | Main | encore »

April 9, 2007

what's that in my drumstick?

Some interesting debate surrounding the National Animal Identification System which would require farmers to insert RFID chips in all their animals. Small farmers are spelling doom. The big question is whether compliance will be voluntary or mandatory.

So I can't read the articles from work. Is this to have complete traceability in the food supply, related to things like BSE?

It does sound like something that large livestock owners might implement as a matter of course, and small ones would be hard pressed to implement at all.

Posted by: girlie_sportsracer at April 9, 2007 9:56 AM

"voluntary" is the new mandatory. While the USDA is touting "voluntary at the federal level", individual states are marching towards mandatory. Some states have anti-NAIS bills in their state houses, but the going has been rough. The states took cooperative agreement grant money from USDA and aren't too keen on giving it back. http://nonais.org is the epicenter of information about the grassroots effort to stop NAIS in total.

Posted by: Henwhisperer at April 9, 2007 11:32 AM

Would this apply to duckies ? Duckies in the pond ?

Posted by: RRhonda Jones at April 9, 2007 2:01 PM

seriously? no, really, seriously?
this whole thing reads
like an 'onion' piece...

i'm far from well-informed on this issue, but
in reading through a few google hits & the link in ze's post, i was pretty struck by the bureaucracy of the process...seems like the whole voluntary vs. mandatory issue wouldn't exist if the process wasn't so stuck in 1954...

at a time when there's no shortage of tracking technology, there's just got to be a simpler, cheaper, easier way to handle this...one that would ease--not add to--the burden of small farmers (and of the USDA folks about to be tasked with pushing through all of that paperwork...oy.)

Posted by: sara at April 9, 2007 3:13 PM

This is something the government probably has a great deal of interest in as research tool. After all, what better way to determine the successes/failures inherent in such a project for use on PEOPLE?

While I could understand using a method like this to track cattle and fowl for disease monitoring/control (BSE and Avian flu), this particular measure goes WAY beyond that.

It is unfortunate that people are so apathetic that they are being led down this road rather willingly. I am a firm supporter of smaller farms, and since I have a strong desire to someday have my own small piece of rural life, I am very upset by news of this. My own apathy is to blame for not being better informed, but I am rather overwhelmed by the number of our personal freedoms STILL going into the toilet.

PS. Has anyone happened to see the info about the NSA's program to hack the net/computers as a form of warfare on terrorists? I'm sure it's on the web somewhere out there, if you're interested, to google it...

Posted by: Queenbeenan at April 9, 2007 3:31 PM

Well, this one's kind of obvious. Intelligent swarms - er, herds, tracked and mapped via rfid and gps. Not a job for big government. Nope. This one is the job of big business, and I think we all know which big business. Let's just say the project will probably be named MOOGLE.

Posted by: ixion at April 9, 2007 10:39 PM

Ze, what are your thoughts ?

Posted by: runno you at April 9, 2007 11:08 PM

Ze, this is interesting and provocative. I would not have read this unless you had dug it out--seriously.
But Ze, please make an appearance of some sort, I am very sad and miss the camaraderie that a Ze show brought me.

Rollome

Posted by: Rollome Timeout at April 10, 2007 11:23 AM

Ze: Thanks for linking to the piece I wrote. I admit I have a slice of ignorance about the bill, if it is a bill, but from what I understand from all the sources I can find—including conservative Republicans who would otherwise raise my hackles and scare me to death—what is now voluntary is going to be mandatory, in that stealthy way that the government operates, and once mandatory, NAIS will then implement even more invasive requirements, which will be of even greater expense to the farmers and families who want to have, yes, even a single duckie on a pond.

Please Google "Jim Hightower" and "NAIS," because that man never fails to get to the core of the issue, and with language that is akin to Mark Twain's and Will Rogers'. He is a former two-time elected Texas Commissioner of Agriculture, and I am refreshed by his common sense and familiarity with all kinds of issues that separate the country into two political parties (Big Business/Money and the rest of us).

It is time for people to lay apathy and complacency aside, and to get off their fannies and do something. Read! Sign the petition! Call your local farmers and ask them, "What the!?"

I thank you kindly for highlighting this on your site. I think the world of what you have been doing, all along, with your work.

Cheers,
Tana Butler

Posted by: Tana at April 12, 2007 1:59 PM

Maybe we should put RFID in guns?

Posted by: Greg Stratford at April 17, 2007 10:21 PM