« uh oh. | Main | i dig this guy »

July 19, 2007

yourspace not myspace

the gregarious, controversial, and always interesting danah boyd studies American class divisions through Facebook and MySpace.

That was interesting. I had no idea that only the children of people who didn't attend college are allowed to become art-fags!

Posted by: Imagine at July 19, 2007 5:11 PM

Jets vs Sharks

Posted by: tonytony at July 19, 2007 6:05 PM

People like this give Sociology a bad name.

Posted by: Adre Gunther at July 23, 2007 6:40 PM

"I don't have the language to get at what I want to say."

i feel like that is a pretty good reason to not say something.

Posted by: sandyismylizard at July 25, 2007 3:55 AM

"I don't have the language to get at what I want to say."

i feel like that is a pretty good reason to not say something.

Posted by: sandyismylizard at July 25, 2007 3:55 AM

.......as not-quite-scholarly as she wrote, I have to say that I think+gut-feel that she's calling a spade a spade here.
sociology is never precise or comfortable to hear for anyone on the underdog side of it, and anyone calling her racist is is just reducing a complex issue to polarized sides.
her methodology might be imperfect or even lousy, but as someone who worked closely with teens I see her points, and I definitely have the reaction of "Duh. why is this surprising?"

When I listen to my adult-yet-teen brain weigh in on assessing the 2, it seems instantly clear to me that :
On Myspace you can partially or totally create what is seen of you.
On Facebook you will always be identified by, searchable by, and tethered to your school/work/clan.
{consequently it's always seemed SO dumb to me when people on Myspace offer so much real mundane info/details and even images when there is no limit to the creativity oyu can display, and show who you are INSIDE. The bigger splashier and more daring pages get more attention, and it's full of cross-congratulation -much between strangers- on a vast array of creative endeavour. You are judged on it, and on numbers, and being linked to a vast # of strangers is somehow cool, yet you are not dunned if some are unsavory. You're not expected to know them!
Also, it seems just fine, healthy even, to change major hunks of your page/s to suit your changing lifestyle, age, or mood.
Now Facebook has always seemed to me to be a straighter venue -even if begrudgingly. What if your parent/commander/teacher/boss/new lover sees it? People seem to want to portray themselves in only pretty narrowly socially acceptable ways there. It's always seemed to me to be a place where it is inferred that you have, or will, possibly come face to face with those you connect with there, and are judged more by real-life related criteria, and expected to build a page to reflect your public self {OUTside self} and not to change it around, but present yourself in a way any institutions you are connected to would approve of {and we all know there are right+wrong ways to live/learn/play/love/and speak in every institution}.
I think the major difference is that you are maybe real-life findable and accountable on FBook. This is definitely a class consideration. She is talking about contemporary high school students here [not WE who Remember before Internet!] and tho I'm 39 I remember the occam's razor starting in 6th and 7th grade in my middle class suburban catholic school, and by the start of 8th grade every kid had a good idea of who was and who wasn't aimed for college, be that for economic reasons, or academic reasons.

yeah, maybe it needed alot of polishing and rework, and is NOT a simple polarized thing but I for one was interested in the idea and glad it made people look and think.
I think that the main underlying point she made of how class divisions [that we choose ourselves!] shine through the purported level playing ground of the internet.

duh.