« for those in NY | Main | fo the kids »

August 16, 2007

we still don't suck at life

excerpt from an email i received today:

"I am 23/M and I have a beginning graphic design position at the company I work for. I think I hate working for a corporation. All of the people who have been working there for a decade tell me "Get out while you still can." and warn me for all of the ways that management is/will be screwing me over. I don't like being afraid of my bosses. Stupid people make me want to leave my job, but I am afraid that I might be giving up a good thing. Then I remember that they have been there for a decade, and to say that I want to stay there means that I want to end up where they are now. These co-workers are not sports racers. I feel cornered into building a better mouse trap. As a result, I have sadly fallen victim to every get rich quick scheme known to man. Tutorials on how to flip houses, the 'Quixtar' pyramid scheme, and many other flavors of failure. I'm currently tasting the stock market and publishing a graphic novel. Both are progressing fairly well.

All of this energy spent running from a life I hate leaves me exhausted, but takes me on many adventures. I think that someday, like Edison, I will have failed enough that I will find the road that leads to success- whatever that is. Thanks for reading. We have to keep on hustling, and when we fail, we still don't suck at life. We're sports racers. We'll make it to the finish line."

That was beautiful. Thank you. Just what I needed after a summer of failing to find a job.

Posted by: Sarah at August 16, 2007 8:25 PM

I hope he does great at his job and has a lot of success with anything in his future. He is quite wise for his age and I bet he'll get to the finish line before he knows it.

Thank you for sharing, Ze.

Posted by: Jeremy at August 16, 2007 8:47 PM

It's always validating to know that we are not alone. Keep fighting the good fight.

Posted by: habile b at August 16, 2007 9:52 PM

Just this morning I read an article by a screenwriter named John August (he wrote Big Fish) with a similar "fail in order to succeed" message. Maybe this is today's theme?

> My D.C. debacle, as miserable as it was to live through, has become a
> cherished memory. It’s a small scar that invites a big story, with
> big personalities. At first, I framed myself as the innocent victim in
> the drama, but over the years I came to view the whole thing as more
> of a hurricane that we all weathered together.
> The great thing about surviving a storm is that you’re much better
> prepared the next time the winds start kicking up. You recognize the
> early warnings. You stock up on essentials. And, most crucial, you go
> in knowing that no matter what happens, you can always rebuild.
> Failure makes you ready in ways that success never could.

Posted by: whee! at August 16, 2007 11:39 PM

I found an entry in the little yellow book with no back cover written in invisible ink. so I put on my invisible reading glasses and read, real sports racers live to work not work to live while the toilet paper hangs at the back of the roll not over the roll.

words to live by

Posted by: plaster of paris at August 17, 2007 12:20 AM

Awesome.

Posted by: Ellie at August 17, 2007 2:54 AM

Remember, those people may hate their job and get 'screwed over' by management because they are poor employees, and only do the minimum amount necessary to keep their job.

Of course the company you work for may really suck. At 23 there is nothing wrong with sticking around somewhere tolerable for a few years and moving on to a better situation once you have some experience. Just don't let your job take over the rest of your life.

Posted by: bink at August 17, 2007 9:01 AM

Thank you for sharing, Ze. This was the topper to my night.

Posted by: Raia at August 18, 2007 12:21 AM

Success is what you want it to be. You can decide that what everyone else deems important-the good life, so to speak-is debatable. You also can decide not to buy into the good job, good car, good house, etc. and do what you really want to do.

What would you do if you weren't embarrassed by the thought of others perceptions of you, if you thought no one was looking or if you really didn't care what others thought? I try to look at it this way-what's the worst that could happen? Am I going to die if this or that doesn't happen, or if I don't do something the way society thinks I should?

I would much rather be happy by my own standards than be miserable and live up to someone else's.

Posted by: Artista at August 18, 2007 11:44 PM

"We're sports racers. We'll make it to the finish line"

That is one great line buddy, hope you don't mind me using it in the future

Eric

Posted by: Eric at August 20, 2007 6:07 PM

Quit your job and focus on the lucrative world of graphic novels.

Posted by: jehosefatz at August 21, 2007 12:53 AM

bink--I couldn't have said it better myself.
23/M graphic designer--look into trading options. it's more fun than gambling and you can do it from your desk.

Posted by: Yves at August 21, 2007 10:14 PM

...what finish line? Uh, it's a race we're in? Whudathunkit. Keep running, silly man, you'll run into something for sure.

Posted by: Mikko at August 22, 2007 8:54 AM

[metaphor] i wore those same shoes once. scuffed the soles clean to my socks before r realized it was time for new shoes. the corporation "lifers" have a tendency to keep wearing their soleless shoes day in day out because they can slip them on without struggle, and they like the way the old shoes feel. they complain about things like comfort, no arch support, and broken shoelaces, but the keep wearing them. it's easy to fall into that pattern, and even easier to complain about your broken shoes to newer employees wearing their newer shoes; warning them that their set will be the same as yours someday. then i decided to take a swim, so i took off the old shoes, jumped in and tested the water. when i finished, and went to put the shoes back on, i found i'd been barefooting it for years, and the company hadn't really been interested in giving me new shoes because the return on investment was still paying off.

now i check the sole regularly, and either ask my corporation for a new pair, or go out and get a new set every so often. it does wonders. [/metaphor]

Posted by: cevaro at August 24, 2007 12:09 PM