« ahh the release | Main | limber »

September 7, 2007

rarely do i play tucker carlson clips

Giuliani's Hatred Of Ferrets :: i think we need an amendment.

What's sad is that some of them actually stand up for the crazy cross dresser. They sympathize with him. Now just imagine if Ron Paul did something this intrinsically crazy.

Posted by: Regal Sweatpants at September 7, 2007 10:54 AM

I'm far from being a Giuliani fan, but just to be fair, I heard a clip of the original recording a while back and I _believe_ that in the very beginning it's made clear that the caller had contacted Giuli at least a couple times before to sing the praises of ferrets. Hence the reference to obsessing...

In any case, Giuli still showed his true colors in this one. Ugh...

Posted by: Paperotta at September 7, 2007 12:51 PM

Paperotta, do you know where I might be able to find the original audio?

Posted by: Rachael at September 7, 2007 3:03 PM

I just can't stand Tucker Carlson... you can almost smell the milk and cookies on his breath.

Posted by: gifa at September 7, 2007 5:00 PM

I understand the importance of maintaining perspective, and knowing that indeed we should focus our collective efforts on helping fellow humans, I myself have room enough in my heart for animals as well. So the question is, just how tiny is Rudy's heart? How can you think loving fuzzy living kneesocks is a sickness?

Posted by: Queenbeenan at September 7, 2007 7:50 PM

As a almost New York resident (Okay, I live in New Jersey), I remember this particular moment. The guy was complaining about Giuliani's ban on ferrets. Later on, Giuliani's press secretary claimed that the man has contacted Giuliani several times about ferrets and they felt was obsessed with ferrets. No evidence was given on this.

Giuliani was a man who dislikes any dissidence. During his administration, he made the police department arrest and bring in people who did such things as littering. These people were taken to jails and stripped search. Later on, New York was fined several million dollars (plus compensation) for violating these people's rights.

He put barricades around city hall to prevent citizens from possibly protesting on the steps and when demonstrations were allowed, claimed that no more than 25 people could protest in front of city hall at one time.

He complained about people commuting from New Jersey to New York not paying their fair share of taxes (I pay more in New York state taxes than I do to my home state of New Jersey), and how unthankful us New Jerseans are for not allowing New York garbage to be taken and processed in our state. He threatened to de-fund and close several arts institutions, including the famed Brooklyn Museum for showing art not to his honor's liking.

I think most New Yorkers tolerated him in his first term because he did make the city a bit more manageable. Crime was going down before he became Mayor under Raymond Kell, but his first police commissioner, William Bratton, really helped reduce crime with his ComStat program. Of course, Giuliani fired Bratton because he was becoming more popular than his honor.

I think Giuliani became bonkers in his second term as mayor. He started rallying against almost everyone and everything, and started firing people left and right. By the time he neared the end of his second administration, he was extremely unpopular. If it wasn't for 9/11, he'd probably be wondering the streets, sleeping in dumpsters and mumbling incoherently about liberal values.

BTW, if the Republicans think he's a Hillary beater, they better look at the 2006 election for New York senator again. The New York Republicans pushed him to run against Hillary Clinton as their best hope. Giuliani took the challenge, but right before he officially announced, he was asked to back out of the race by the Republican party.

Apparently, he upset so many supporters, that high level Republicans started to endorse Hillary Clinton in the race -- even though they knew a strong showing in the election would make Hillary a strong candidate for the 2008 presidential race. The New York GOP's goal back in 2006 was not to beat Hillary so much as to make the election so tight, she wouldn't consider a run for the Oval Office.

Posted by: Davud at September 8, 2007 9:37 PM

Hey Ze, this cat has animated you on youtube

Sarah x

(I thought I could get away with saying "cat" like I was cool.....)

Posted by: sarah at September 9, 2007 9:25 AM

Found the full original. Only a few seconds were cut off from the beginning of the conversation, when the caller specifically mentions that they'd spoken the week before (but not more than once before - my bad!)

In any case, here's one of the links I found that includes the opening remarks

Posted by: paperotta at September 10, 2007 3:19 AM

Ze,

how about a special "the show" for the anniversay of 9/11. You could really make a serious impact on people's day and counter what is sure to be a day otherwise filled with republican pious rhetoric.

Respectfully,
GP

Posted by: george pelligamini at September 10, 2007 8:26 AM

Posted by: Love Me at September 11, 2007 2:30 PM

Maybe if Mr. Guiliani had done a youtube search for "ferrett vs jalapeno" it would have softened his tough little heart. :)

Posted by: MattyI at September 12, 2007 8:22 AM

I dislike Giuliani as much as the next guy, but his style of government seems pretty standard in New York these days. I mean, there is a proposal now to require anyone taking pictures in the city with a tripod or with a group of people to get a permit. Do they just hate Japanese tourists?

But really, ferrets are not pets. We Americans have a bad habit of thinking any animal we find cute should be a pet. This has led to all sorts of dangerous (to people and/or the environment) exotic animals being brought into the country and eventually being released or escaping. Cats and dogs are pets. Reptiles, amphibians, birds, rodents, monkeys, and big cats are wild animals and shouldn't be owned.

Posted by: Gus at September 14, 2007 9:42 AM

Isn't it funny how when you hear about something once, and then you start hearing about it everywhere?

I just heard about this on "This American Life" (you'd probably live this show, Ze... http://www.thislife.org/ )

Posted by: MattLat at September 26, 2007 9:11 PM