« "a hobby" | Main | k.u.c. »

November 17, 2007

being poor sucks

Surfer dude stuns physicists with theory of everything :: dude

a link to the E8 rotation that they mention in the article :: very pretty video

the video bears an uncanny resemblance to a film called "Lapis" made around 1966 by James Whitney. The Whitney bros. pioneered the use of computers to control animation cameras and equipment. I never read anything about the math they used, but the images look a lot like this-- growing and changing mandala-like patterns. I don't know if the film is on the web anywhere, but it's worth a look.
PS: due diligence demands that I do at least a half-assed search, so here is a Wikipedia entry, with a half-decent screen shot:

Posted by: stan at November 17, 2007 2:16 PM

That is both amazing and awesome, /but/, I am extremely sceptical of massive scientific breakthroughs that I hear about on some random news website. Hopefully he knows what he is talking about.

Also: being poor really does suck

Posted by: the_Wakeful at November 17, 2007 3:46 PM

wow! very nice indeed! I love stuff like this :)

Posted by: Lucas at November 17, 2007 5:07 PM

I'm going to feel bad for all the M-Theorists that spent years learning differential calc if this guy turns out to be right.
Well... not really. That would be kind of awesome.

Posted by: panzyfaust at November 17, 2007 9:05 PM

Of course, the only problem is it's complete rubbish

Posted by: Ewan at November 18, 2007 7:44 AM

Who needs "Eureka!" when you can say, "Holy crap, that's it!"

I like the comment from Ford Prefect. Surfers carry towels too, so you see, it's all connected.

And try saying "jungle yurt" ten times fast.

Posted by: Diana B. at November 18, 2007 9:33 PM

Does anyone know if the places in that video where the rotation seems to pause are because the rotation was intentionally stopped or because the 2D projection doesn't change during that part of its rotation?

(I wish I could really visualize more clearly what an 8 dimensional object looks like.)

Posted by: Aaron H at November 20, 2007 6:24 PM