« black swans | Main | Dear Mobby #1 and #2 (or #3 and #4) »

November 1, 2007

I love ya'll (sic) and I'm gonna miss ya'll (sic).

Texas Department of Criminal Justice :: a timely but morbid fascination :: the last statements, the clinical presentation

good
my state is safer without them.

Posted by: carly at November 1, 2007 3:27 PM

Texas punctuation note: the apostrophe goes after the y: y'all.

Posted by: Kevin Miller at November 1, 2007 3:46 PM

Ah, (sic), that's how they wrote it. Well, hell, any Texas Corrections officer with half a brain should be able to spell y'all.

Hmm, wait...

Posted by: Kevin Miller at November 1, 2007 3:53 PM

y'all = you all
As is the rule in the english language: the apostrophe is put in place of the missing letter(s).

As Bush has proved, however, not all Texans are representative of the general intelligence in the state.

Posted by: carly at November 1, 2007 4:14 PM

Posted by: nesnora at November 1, 2007 6:19 PM

“Statement to what. State What. I am not guilty of the charge of capital murder. Steal me and my family’s money. My truth will always be my truth. There is no kin and no friend; no fear what you do to me. No kin to you undertaker. Murderer. [Portion of statement omitted due to profanity] Get my money. Give me my rights. Give me my rights. Give me my rights. Give me my life back.”

-Kelsey Patterson

executed May 18, 2004

I really don’t have an opinion on the death penalty, not for lack of trying. I do know one thing though: there are nights when the man who has to 'flip the switch' as it were, does not sleep well.

Posted by: Evan at November 1, 2007 6:19 PM

None, except maybe two, of them were Asian. There were only two "Others". I thought that was interesting, though it is Texas.

Posted by: Christina at November 1, 2007 6:45 PM

One hell of a way to be remembered for all time.

Posted by: Jeff S at November 1, 2007 8:26 PM

Jessie Gutierrez #971
Last Statement:
I just love everybody, and that’s it.

...
Jesus Romero, Jr. #801
Last Statement:
When his attorney came into the witness room, he said, "Tell Mom I love her." The attorney said back to him, "I love you, too."

oh man!

Posted by: better angels at November 1, 2007 10:56 PM

One of the most agonizing hours of my life was spent watching an hour-long special about an impending execution in Texas...on Italian television with my Roman host family and half a dozen of their liberal, idealist, intellectual friends.
They were rapt in a way that I rarely see outside of magic shows and only looked away from the TV during commercials when they grilled me with questions and accusations. Why don't you have a referendum to stop it? Why do Texans like to kill people? Why? Why? Why?
I told them I signed all the petitions and voted for people who are against the death penalty, etc., etc., but if you get a lot of western European idealists together and show them a sensationalist Italian television documentary about the death penalty in Texas while there's a Texan in the room, then you're going to have a big fun time...y'all.
Seriously, you get a new perspective on familiar issues when you hear them described in another language, in another country. When the death-row inmate being interviewed starts out speaking in Ebonics and then after a few seconds, gets drowned out by the Italian translation. When the warden starts out speaking in a slow rural drawl and then gets drowned out by the Italian too.

And there's nothing wrong with "y'all". It's like "vous" or "ihr" or "voi" or the original "you". We only had to invent "y'all" because some people (who weren't Quakers) decided they didn't like "thou" anymore, which made "you" too ambiguous for situations in which a lady or gentleman would like to be inclusive and make sure that all of her or his friends and/or relations feel welcome and at ease (or for other less hospitable situations in which clarity is necessary).
I can't imagine a "Y'allTube" though. That needs the ambiguity.

Posted by: Diana B. at November 2, 2007 12:55 AM

They used to also tell you the last meal requests:
- http://www.metafilter.com/37740/Last-Meals

Posted by: Josh at November 2, 2007 1:14 AM

"I don't know."
-Peter Abelard

Posted by: ingrid at November 2, 2007 2:14 PM

What strikes me the most is that these individuals - who've done horrible things and been executed because other people have decided they deserve it and that the world is safer with them dead - almost all of them speak of love at the end. Not of hate, or of violence and pain, or even of death - basically, all the things they'll probably be remembered for when they're gone.

Reading their words, I forget my cynical side, who wonders if they've been coached in the art of last-minute repentance speeches. I hope their words of love and forgiveness are sincere, not monstrous. I hope that these words brought a measure of peace to the "offender", to his family, and his victim's families. I hope that hate, violence, pain and death really can be overcome by love, and not just engender more of the same...

Posted by: mipiai at November 3, 2007 2:39 PM

I read a lot of these, and i know that many of these people were guilty, such as the woman who chopped up her eight husbands, and then police found the other seven's bones in the backyard...

but some of these young, black males... Whereas I know that socio-economic problems lead to higher crime rates among blacks, I dont see very many executed who are black and killed a black person. I do however see A LOT of black men accused of killing a white girl. and that is irrefutably statistically whack. Most lethal crime within the black demographic is "black on black".

I just dont think everyone here should be executed. Therefore the system is broken. If you really need that death penalty for some reason, It should only fly when theres solid DNA evidence or nothing at all.

Nealy, Charles:

"...The reason it took them so long is because they couldn't find a vein. You know how I hate needles - I used to stay in the Doctor's Office. Tell the guys on Death Row that I'm not wearing a diaper. I can't think of anything else. You all stay strong. Now you can put this all aside. Don't bury me in the prison cemetery. Bury me right beside momma. Don't bury me to the left of dad, bury me on the right side of mom.

Kim Schaeffer, you are a evil woman. You broke the law. The judges and courts helped you and you didn't have all the facts. When you look at the video, you know you can't see anyone. You overplayed your hand looking for something against me and to cover it up the State is killing me. I'm not mad or bitter though. I'm sad that you are stuck here and have to go through all of this. I am going somewhere better. My time is up. Let me get ready to make my transition. Doug, don't forget Marcy."

Posted by: FJeff at November 5, 2007 6:02 PM