« nasty nasty hotels | Main | 39 year old gal »

November 24, 2007

making the milk

NPR reports that early episodes of Sesame Street have been reissued with a warning that the contentis not suitable for children :: the audio version of the story is a bit more compelling :: click below for an unsuitable clip about cows ::

Interesting...very interesting. The clip is very boring, IMO, but I just have to giggle at the fact that Sesame Street was meant for adults

Cheers,
Pete (http://asyouwantit.blogspot.com)

Posted by: Pete at November 24, 2007 3:58 PM

To see a more current version (part of why I went Vegan) check out the video about dairy cows and veal calves here:

Posted by: John Eckman at November 24, 2007 4:04 PM

That is a very long video about cows. My attention span just can't take it.

Posted by: Toad at November 24, 2007 4:45 PM

Was that Morgan Freeman??

He used to be on The Electric Company when I was a kid, so it's not impossible...

Posted by: Leslie at November 24, 2007 4:53 PM

I watched the segment. I must be living in some kind of alternate reality if *THAT* is not suitable for children. Either I'm in the alternate reality that's the horrific one: where society thinks such simple, inane concepts are damaging to children, or I live in heavenly one where the content isn't suitable for children because it's TOO simple for that generation of children.

Posted by: PB at November 24, 2007 5:32 PM

Posted by: PB at November 24, 2007 5:46 PM

Well, of course that's inappropriate for children - it's a big lie! Most dairy cows never see their babies, or the sky! They're raised in factory farms, where they're fed corn and antibiotics. Their calves either become dairy cows themselves, or veal.

Damn, I never thought I'd miss the 1970s.

Posted by: Amy at November 24, 2007 5:58 PM

Why is it unsuitable? The only thing I wouldn't want to expose my kids to is the painfully bad soundtrack.....

Is it really because it's slow?

Posted by: ephelba at November 24, 2007 7:07 PM

The only reason the cow video is unsuitable for children is that it's far too boring for any child to watch for 6+ minutes. It could, however, be the perfect cure for my insomnia.

Posted by: Susan at November 24, 2007 7:21 PM

i have a feeling hte only reason this was deemed unsuitable for children was because of how long and repetitive it was, and the fact that it could be classified as a sedative for almost putting me to sleep.

Posted by: Darla at November 24, 2007 7:29 PM

OMG! and here I thought those puppets were pretend! Do they have a new character pushing the med tray around the street distributing the proper dosage to these poor creatures? and what about therapy and anger management courses, that would fill an hour in no time.

Crazy hippies, what were they thinking?

I wonder if they are also considering the damaging effects TV has on the developing brain of a toddler.

The Warning for every episode of Sesame Street should be then, "Adult Content Only: Now go give your kids some blocks, turn off the damn TV (and computer) and play with them!"

Posted by: in my vivid imagination at November 24, 2007 9:56 PM

it bothered me that virginia hefferman, the guest on The Bryant Park Project that you link to, seems to condone the warning labels, which i obviously view as an absurd outgrowth of today's hyper-sensitive child-rearing standards.

now i "don't want to sound like sean hannity" either, but i don't think i run the risk of it when i suggest that this wonderful video is an example of the peaceful, relaxed pace and tone that i might want my children's television experience to include (if/when i have kids). i don't see the "grittiness" that hefferman alludes to in the interview.

on the other hand, maybe i just say that because this provides some welcome contrast to the barrage of bullshit to which i voluntary subject myself every time i turn on the TV.

Posted by: joshi at November 25, 2007 4:04 AM

I'm not thirsty anymore, but I'm so happy. The cow is a friendly and warm animal, isn't she?

Posted by: Steven at November 25, 2007 4:04 AM

Oh yeah - that clip is 'interminable', as the article says. This clip on the same topic made much more of an impression on me: http://youtube.com/watch?v=9O-Q5vJ-GHk

Posted by: Monte at November 25, 2007 5:45 AM

Oh, I get why this is not appropriate for kids. Dairy cows don't roam about in green grass any more so that's a lie, and we wouldn't want to expose generations of kids to lies like that. Cool.

Posted by: Jan / The Faux Press at November 25, 2007 7:34 AM

I'm somewhat confused....what is it about this clip that could possibly be unsuitable for anyone.

Ok...maybe the songwriter could have dug a little deeper than "Eating the grass so green, making manure"

Frankly I found it mesmerizing. If I were 3 again, I would pick this over Baby Einstein or the Wiggles any day of the week (ok...Saturday morning more so than other days). Maybe I was just a mellow kid...

Posted by: Cosmic at November 25, 2007 12:12 PM

hey cow, i see you now

Posted by: spektor at November 25, 2007 1:08 PM

I've never thought about "so many cartons meaning so many cows" as the film suggests, but whenever I walk through the meat section at the supermarket, I involuntarily estimate how many animals it must have taken to make all those cuts of meat and then visualize all the different animals milling around whole and alive in the same small space. It's far out... it would be so loud and crowded.

Posted by: Diana B. at November 25, 2007 2:56 PM

For all the PETA-heads derailing the actual topic here, I'd like to say that I live in a rural town here in the US, and I am surrounded by dairy farms. These cows spend most of their day sitting in the sun or under a tree, their calves with them, and just like that video, are only brought inside twice a day for milking or if the weather is bad.

Posted by: Lhyzz at November 25, 2007 7:51 PM

This is ridiculous...Jim Henson would never have allowed that "not suitable for children" label if he was still around. It's bullshit. It's perfectly suitable for children; i've seen most of the old episodes.

Posted by: trick at November 26, 2007 6:51 PM