« crayon physics | Main | making the milk »

November 24, 2007

nasty nasty hotels

an awful little vid that exposes the practices of hotel cleaning crews :: from our darlings at Fox News

I'm most surprised (sort of) that Fox didn't at least take the time to hide the housekeepers' identities. :/

Posted by: Caroline at November 24, 2007 6:28 PM

It must have been a really slow news day.

Posted by: David at November 24, 2007 9:59 PM

Wow. I just spent the last two nights at a (seemingly clean) Holiday Inn Express. Thankfully they use cheap plastic cups wrapped in plastic, but still I cringe watching this. Herpes, hepatitis, flesh-eating viruses; damn! Scary stuff.

Posted by: Doyle at November 24, 2007 10:44 PM

This makes me want to go buy my own hidden camera. Disgusting.

Posted by: robert at November 25, 2007 12:40 AM

Glad to see that hotels at all levels are likely offering that extra special touch... (Yuck!) I guess if you cannot trust them to provide clean glasses, either bring your own or use something like Listerine or perhaps a hand sanitizer like Purell.

I've heard of other hotel practices to be afraid of like only laundering bedspreads about once a month and bedbug infestations.

Posted by: Jeff S at November 25, 2007 1:15 AM

so gross . . . but not quite as gross as the smarmy, overbearing tone that these damn local "investigative news teams" use . . . barely watchable

Posted by: joshi at November 25, 2007 2:35 AM

ahhh, Fox news. That's actually _my_local station, and I've stayed at one of those hotels.
...thankfully, I think the vodka sterilized the glassware just fine.

Posted by: Em at November 25, 2007 2:39 AM

Okay, I always worried about the bedspread, but holy crap... Soap? Anyone got soap?

I really liked the part where the woman cleaned the toilet, then used those hands on the glasses with no soap, then dried it with a used towel. That was mighty appetizing...

Posted by: wooddragon at November 25, 2007 2:05 PM

Thank goodness for pioneers in the ethics of hotel cleanliness like our own Ze Frank, who makes sure to inform the next guest that he has touched the toilet paper and would never EVER put used cotton swabs back in the container.

Posted by: Diana B. at November 25, 2007 2:36 PM

why are they so hung up on the glasses? there are more important things.
@ Jeff: bedbugs are gross, but trust me they're sooo difficult to get rid of. i brought some home (guess...from a hotel!) and had them for like 6 months. leaving your mattress out in a canadian winter overnight works better than any chemical.

Posted by: benny at November 25, 2007 6:08 PM

Anyone else notice that about half-way through they said "we're not done yet..." but the teletext reads "we're not dumb yet"... not important I know. Just made me giggle.

Posted by: ApplesauceMcGee at November 26, 2007 4:15 AM

Geeze, our culture is really obsessed with sterile cleanliness, aren't we.

Posted by: fool at November 26, 2007 8:53 AM

This is not a surprise to anyone. If you've ever tried to talk to housekeeping staff, they're folks being paid minimum wage - or less - and their pay is the same whether the cleaning is thorough or haphazard. I stayed recently at the Atlanta Airport Hilton, and the staff there didn't even speak English. When I tried to write out my questions in Spanish, the housekeeper apologetically told me she couldn't READ.

Posted by: Christopher Penn, Financial Aid Podcast at November 26, 2007 3:09 PM

I noticed a while back, thanks to a friend, there are no clean glasses on the staff's supply carts. There are towels, toilet paper...no glasses. I've even stopped using the coffee maker.

Posted by: Dee at November 27, 2007 4:28 PM

I wonder if the housekeepers are paid in direct proportion to the hotel cost? Looks to me like those hotels are getting the kind of service that I assume they are paying for.

Posted by: kdoll at November 27, 2007 11:00 PM

How do you define a "clean glass"? Should they trow the glasses out and get a new one? I think they should do the same for the mattresses too. You mean something that has been washed? Glass is usually used because it doesn't hold bacteria that well, rinsing it in hot water is usually fine. Living in a sterile environment weakens the immune system anyway.

Posted by: kurt at December 2, 2007 8:44 PM