« some help needed | Main | world's fastest clapper and 100 numbers »

December 7, 2007

Don Pettit : Space Chronicles

This guy is my hero :: a chronicle created by the astronaut we saw in the bubbles clip detailing his experiences in space. He's great, and many of the sections have video attached. here's a collection of videos that he made on Saturday mornings (i have to wonder how one tracks what day it is when you are orbiting the earth- reference point? Standard Space Time?)

it's quite probable that the station moves on orbit with the earth eg. when it's day on earth, it's day on the station, days and weeks accordingly.
ps. i found your blog just recently when i was hungover and saw the video on "privacy", seriously it made me laugh and appreciate that my country doesn't have the resources to monitor us.

Posted by: allar at December 7, 2007 1:17 PM

Thanks for this link ze, awesome stuff! My guess for time in space is syncing with whatever time mission control is on (though, daylight savings time makes me wonder if they wouldn't just adopt a space standard time).

A good question! Sometimes I purposely don't look things up on the interbutt just to keep a little more mystery in my life, and I can make up stuff which is often more fun than the truth anyway.

Posted by: Mik Garrison at December 7, 2007 1:33 PM

Ooooooo! Way cool stuff! Love the convection patterns with the soldering iron in the water; fun site!

Posted by: kaninchen at December 7, 2007 8:55 PM

I assume that, since they have such technology as laptops and high-tech computers, they have clocks that can tell them what time it is. I'd imagine that a Russian cosmonaut would set their laptop clock to Russian local time and an American astronaut would keep theirs synced with Houston time.
The smell of space one made me want to be an astronaut. I feel six again.

Posted by: Kinna at December 8, 2007 3:46 AM

The ISS runs on Greenwich Mean Time, and the windows are covered during the GMT night to simulate darkness.

Posted by: Pseudonym at December 8, 2007 7:07 AM

I'm hope they go by mood because they have instruments that measure time and what not, but how interesting if they named the days for their human inclinations.

Thanks for this and especially the vids link. Just finished watching Nova's Magnetic Storm and the real vids of the aurora are a killer follow up.

Posted by: Boo at December 8, 2007 9:10 PM

The ISS works on Greenwich Mean Time, and they even close the windows at "night".

The exception is that when a spacecraft is visiting, they adjust their schedules to synchronise with whatever time the crew of the craft work on. (In the case of the shuttles, it's Mission Elapsed Time.)

Posted by: Pseudonym at December 9, 2007 6:29 PM

i believe they go by GMT or Greenwich Mean Time
but i dont know for certain
going by the time at mission control is a probable possibility as well but then you would have problems with communications with other country's space programs
"we will be over russia at 5:00pm russian space station"
"DA vee veel see u den"
330am moscow time or w.e the space ship enters the radar
confusion
possible panic if it were a country we didnt have the best relations with
etc.
but they wouldnt be that dumb
i hope
and when something is orbiting the earth at the same speed the earth is turning as allar described that is called a geosynchronous orbit

but what do i know