« A is for Alphie | Main | The best job »

December 4, 2007

early new year's resolution

best to think about it a bit early :: here's mine ::

I've already started this one, but it will apply to all of next year. I call it Three Things. Each day I will try my best to do three things. One thing to benefit my health, one thing to make money, and one thing that is a creative expression. There is no upper or lower limit on the scale of these things. They can be small : taking a multi vitamin for health, writing down an idea for an idea in a notebook, signing up for Google Adsense, or they can be bigger : working out for an hour, making a video, creating an online store for merchandise. The only rule is that they can't overlap, a single activity can only fill the requirement of one category.

What are your resolutions?

Not a huge fan of resolutions - I generally feel change should be immediate and any additional clauses you put on that only provide 'outs'. I've tried "No alcohol for a month" but weekends don't count, and then Friday nights count as weekends.. and I've generally still got some beer left over on Monday nights.. and so on.

The alternative for me is to set a loose guideline. This year I'm going to try to treat my body a little better by 'limiting' my applied toxins. And my brain a little better by acting on more of my ideas - or at least making ideas from my ideas of ideas..

Posted by: rumoko at December 4, 2007 9:58 AM

I’m going to get off the brain crack, and use the great/shitty idea as soon as it pops into my head.

Thanks ze for the intervention,

danny

Posted by: danny at December 4, 2007 10:33 AM

I like this. I may try it.

Today I listed a couple of books and cds on half.com, began a movie review for my site (to be finished by the end of the day) and didn't have a cigarette until I left the apartment (morning cigarette is a ritual with me). Starting very small, but let's hope the compounding interest catches up with us.

Posted by: consumatron at December 4, 2007 11:02 AM

My plan was to try to continue to do something creative/artistic every day, but I like how you've upped the ante here.

I'm toying around with the idea of forcing myself to complete a creative endeavor each week on top of the daily creative activity.

Posted by: sam at December 4, 2007 11:03 AM

My resolution is to focus on school and try and find something I enjoy ans stick with it. While trying to become more fit and stick with a steady gym program started this semester with some mates of mine.

Posted by: BeachBallBalloonBoy at December 4, 2007 11:34 AM

I was going to make a resolution to procrastinate less than I did this year, but I think I'll wait until 2009, if I can be bothered.

Posted by: Matt at December 4, 2007 11:43 AM

I used to make new years resolutions.

As the joke says, in 2000, my new years resolution was not to ever make any more new years resolutions.

And I have stuck with that.

I Now make life goals and lifetime changes.

I guess its kinda the same thing, under a new shiny label.

The thing is I don't wait for new year to start them. I start then, that minute, to fully commit to the new change.

Life is too short to wait until an arbitrary day when all the worlds calendars become obsolete to make changes.

Posted by: tekphreak at December 4, 2007 12:39 PM

I'm such a sucker for resolutions, especially those involving numbers: to write three pages in my journal every day, to clean up ten messes everyday, etc.. I love making long, complex resolutions. And I never wait till the new year. Here's one I started just today. I'm going to start making little art books. One every week, at least. If I lose inspiration, I'll dedicate them to one of my dead heroes and create a little homage to one of their quotes, or a lesson I learned from them. Another one: to comment more often on other people's blogs. Another: to send thank you notes to people.
It's great having resolutions like this because you can put off actually fulfilling them by writing more lists of things to promise to do.

Posted by: patricia at December 4, 2007 1:03 PM

To never pick up a pair of socks off the floor that do not belong to myself. Go pick up your own socks. Im done. And free!

Posted by: Cuphate at December 4, 2007 1:10 PM

My resolution is to say "no" to people more often... No new projects that will distract from my small handful of top priority goals.

Posted by: Brandon Stone at December 4, 2007 1:25 PM

Ze,

If I may be so bold: One of your daily goals should be to help someone, in some way, every day. I'm not suggesting that you don't already do this; you don't even know me and your videos have helped me in tremendous ways on occasion, however, if you're going to put effort into doing anything EVERY SINGLE DAY, helping people is where you'll get the biggest return.

Sounds kind of sappy man, sorry about that. True is true though.

Posted by: Evan at December 4, 2007 2:01 PM

I think that this is a fantastic way to think about resolutions, as positive. I will have to think if something similar.

Posted by: Vince at December 4, 2007 3:39 PM

Dear Ze,

You obviously have many aspects of your life sorted out, but I'd like to suggest a fourth thing: working on people stuff. N.B. This isn't a reflection your current people-stuff skills, which are probably quite good.

Take care,

Richard

Posted by: Richard Hagen at December 4, 2007 4:33 PM

Although I work in a physically demanding job, I eat pretty bad. I don't eat much, but, what I do eat (and drink) isn't the best for my health. The health drinks are probably the worst thing, so this year I plan on drinking less beverages that are energy drinks and eat less food that is prepared with a microwave.

Posted by: Freddy at December 4, 2007 4:48 PM

The only catch I can see is if you get into a daily habit with any (or all) of those things. For example, if taking a multi vitamin meets your health requirement each day, then you could just get in the habit of doing that every day and never have to think about meeting that goal in any other way.

Otherwise this is a great idea and I may have to steal it, just adding a no-repeats rule within a certain time period because I know myself too well. :)

Posted by: Josh at December 4, 2007 5:24 PM

Stop procrasinating.
Be enthusiastic about everything I do/have to do
Never say anything unless I'm gonna do it.

Posted by: Anthony at December 4, 2007 6:32 PM

buy produce i can't identify and learn how to prepare it. write something everyday, even if it's not going anywhere, or pertaining to "the novel." and get back in shape, and not because the time between my last lay and "today" is turning into questionably unhealthy territory, but for my health, of course.

Posted by: not telling at December 4, 2007 6:38 PM

Not a bad idea, Ze!

Posted by: ryptide at December 4, 2007 7:02 PM

that one sounds pretty good, but i'd feel cheap to just adopt someone else's resolution.

i'll get back to you.

Posted by: Darla at December 4, 2007 7:05 PM

i'll get back to you.

Posted by: Darla at December 4, 2007 7:11 PM

I resolve not to make resolutions. CRAP!

Posted by: Adam at December 4, 2007 7:29 PM

I like yours. I'd try somehting like that if I weren't busy with school.

I think I can resolve to be more productive. I don't get enough done in general, and there's really no reason why.

Posted by: Floipoid at December 4, 2007 9:14 PM

Keeping it to three makes it nice and easy to remember, I might adopt your resolutions myself!

Posted by: Jason Davies at December 4, 2007 9:44 PM

That sounds cool. I might just borrow that, but with two different things. Something creative, something adventurous, and something loving.
By loving I mean kind. Not, you know, self loving or anything. Except out of kindness.

Posted by: peter at December 4, 2007 10:33 PM

-set up a cot at the dentist.
-photograph everything I own (make video).
-make, win or find a billion dollars and give 99% of it away anonymously, travel everywhere.
-fall in love one more time, maybe.

Posted by: tea? at December 4, 2007 10:51 PM

For a couple of years now, I've been wanting my resolution to be that I should write a poem every day.

It's not very original, people do this kind of think all the time--in fact I remember hearing an interview of a photographer who only allowed himself to take one single picture every day. When you're used to shooting rolls and rolls, he said, it really makes you think critically about that one single shot you get: is this the right angle, should I wait until later in the day when the lighting is better, what if I use up the photo now and something really incredible happens, etc. Some turned out to be crap, but in the end he got a book of worthwhile photographs out of it.

My problem is that I'm coming from the other side of it--wheras he was pairing down his artisitic options, my goal would be to increase my output (I haven't written regularily for years--if I ever wrote regularily). And I'm quite sure 90% of one-day poems would be crap. But resolutions aren't supposed to be easy I guess...otherwise we'd all promise to skip the gym a lot and smoke cigars (or what have you).

Posted by: clg6000 at December 5, 2007 1:26 AM

My December resolution is to think in shades of grey, rather than black and white. If I'm confronted with a very one-sided point of view, I will research the issue from the other side before forming an opinion.

I will also muster up the courage to say hi to one of my mentors without fear of looking stupid or needy.

Hi Ze.

Posted by: esskay at December 5, 2007 7:20 AM

My resolution is to go back and read all of your resolutions... because they're entertaining...

Oh yeah, and to stop trying to be entertaining and to be more entertained.

Posted by: Raab at December 5, 2007 10:39 AM

1. Perform at least one act of kindness for which I expect no reward.
2. I like the create something every day thing, so I'll steal that idea.
3. Write at least one story or scene a day.
4. Go out somewhere new at least once a week: concert, bar, park, bike route... Whatever.
5. Drink more water (that's pretty general... but we're going from minimal water consumption outside of caffeinated beverages).

Posted by: ingrid at December 5, 2007 11:07 AM

well technically everyone's personal new year is on their birthday and the new year holiday is just an arbitrary calendar thing. but i need as many excuses to do better things as i can get. someone else's that i thought was cool is talking to a random person every day that you wouldn't normally talk to. even if it's just small talk it could maybe turn into something awesomer

Posted by: anna at December 5, 2007 1:20 PM

I print a weekly "Self Care" list. My aim is to get 100% every day for one whole week... and then see how long I can sustain it.

1) take vitamins
2) moisturize
3) meditate (5 min)
4) some kind of exercise (walk/yoga/gym/dance/garden)
5) eat a green veggie
6) 50 sit ups!
7) 8 glasses of H2O
8) pause for lunch/break
9) write/plan day
10) to bed by 10pm

Posted by: Leesalu at December 5, 2007 6:01 PM

I have not made a New Year's resolution ever. Unless you count that time where I realized that the guy I was dating was very boring; either that, on a New Year's eve, or I was very boring. At any rate, I made a decision that we were boring together, and I achieved my goal of NOT being his girlfriend by the end of the year. Success! With lots of crying!

That was oh-my-god twenty years ago.

So: I have an early resolution--not to screw over my compressed master's year by somehow ending this two month long procrastination and pass Measure Theory. Oh, and by maybe, just maybe, end my fear of writing blathering comments on other people's comment boards.

Well. I've achieved one goal. Now onto the one that matters.

Posted by: cat at December 5, 2007 7:13 PM

Everyday I will acknowledge at least one thing that truly appreciate and am grateful for, and write it down so I can refer back to it.

Posted by: kaninchen at December 6, 2007 7:29 PM

1) Write more: on my blog, in my journal, to friends and family, to the newspaper

2) Always put my health first, above work, above watching my favorite shows