« Gabe & Max's Internet Thing | Main | Animal Collective Rabbit Music Video »

December 12, 2007

How It All Ends

Greg writes: "This ten-minute home video is called "How It All Ends," and is the result of hundreds of hours of research and production, stemming from an earlier video I produced, titled "The Most Terrifying Video You'll Ever See." ::

"The Most Terrifying Video", posted on the web six months ago, made a novel argument for taking action on global climate change, and has garnered over 4 million views on various websites. Reading the 6000+ comments on that video—most of them critical—allowed me to hone my argument, so that now it is—as far as I've been able to tell—undeniable. Repackaged in "How It All Ends," the argument is backed up by over 6 hours of "expansion pack" videos, anticipating and answering every single objection that I've been able to elicit from skeptics. Sounds impossible, yes. But then, I've been maniacally thorough."

I highly recommend the companion videos too, which discuss the argument in much greater detail.

Posted by: Peregrine at December 12, 2007 8:42 AM

You just linked to this because of his LoA shirt, didn't you.

Posted by: Will at December 12, 2007 10:59 AM

Al Gore's inconvenient visuals have evoked emotions. Greg's video not so much. But his methodology is instructive. And his style is derivative of Ze Franks' style. Kudos to Ze.

Posted by: Dennis Freire at December 12, 2007 11:25 AM

good argument, well done!

thanks for posting this :)

Posted by: will forward at December 12, 2007 12:25 PM

the video is no longer available

Posted by: help at December 12, 2007 12:35 PM

what's on the shirt he's wearing? it looks familliar.

Posted by: Darla at December 12, 2007 4:19 PM

I thought this was your arch-nemesis

Posted by: blort at December 12, 2007 5:45 PM

This reminds me of my idea to create an organization to collect funds to support organizations dedicated to environmental sciences involved in such endeavors.

Posted by: SetanaZen at December 12, 2007 6:50 PM

If you were my science teacher I might have paid attention in science class. I am impressed!

Posted by: alan at December 12, 2007 8:33 PM

I love this man!

Posted by: Curtis at December 12, 2007 10:05 PM

Brilliance.

Posted by: Floipoid at December 12, 2007 10:34 PM

Good to see Godwin's Law prevail.

Posted by: Josh at December 13, 2007 12:09 AM

Gives me the chills.

Posted by: Barry at December 13, 2007 1:09 AM

He gets extra points for using WHOOP ASS as his soda can representing global warming.

OH, and the outcome of climate change has already been determined; the Demographic shift and the Green Revolution. (ie 20th C agriculture)

Posted by: dentext at December 13, 2007 9:18 PM

This is great! I'm very impressed by the amount of work that went into this.

Posted by: Matt at December 14, 2007 1:22 AM

I've been long trying to make this arguement to people and now feel he's given me all new material. Thanks

Posted by: daver at December 14, 2007 1:33 PM

good boy

Posted by: B at December 14, 2007 5:14 PM

I find this video unpersuasive. It is certain that unless we do something, several million people will die next year of malnutrition, malaria, and numerous other conditons that are not theoritical, but now actually exist. I would not spend money on the theortical risk until the massive existing human problems have been dealt with.

By the way, AAAS is not a nerdy group of highly credible scientists. It is a very liberal group of college professors. The editor has been a guy named Kennedy who is just a run-of-the mill Bush hater. The group had credibility 20 years ago, but now its publication, Science, is just a liberal policy rag. And, the college profs are always looking for governemnt grants. As long as they can make a scare case, they can keep their paychecks coming.

Posted by: Anonymous Pamphleteer at December 14, 2007 7:41 PM

Anonymous Pamphleteer: I'm sorry to hear that "Science," the most well-respected general scientific journal in the world (along with UK's "Nature") has become "just a liberal policy rag." That really bums me out. Perhaps you could suggest an alternative peer-reviewed general science journal which is more well-respected, thorough, and reliable than "Science." Hoping for your reply. . .

Posted by: wonderingmind42 at December 19, 2007 7:41 PM

Anonymous Pamphleteer:

Keep electing Republicans; they'll sort out all the famine, disease, and poverty in third world countries in no time. As soon as they're done lining their pockets, then lining their buddies' pockets, and then lining the pockets of guys whose pockets are already lined because hey, when you've got money, you need more money.

"Run of the mill Bush-hater" now translates to two thirds of this country's population. Guess we really are just run-of-the-mill, huh? I admire the optimism of the Bush supporter, finding a silver lining in every economy-destroying, international-goodwill-consuming, troop-endangering, foreign-civilian-killing, war-mongering step he takes. I bet you take a look at his biological leavings and say "that man sure eats plenty of fiber!"

Take an ocean voyage to the floating mass of plastic twice the size of Texas (weight, somewhere around 3 million tons) that will not biodegrade for thousands of years and tell me that we industrialized peoples do not have to change how we are living.

Posted by: Lhyzz at December 23, 2007 2:14 AM

Fantastic - I'm busy watching the entire expansion pack. It takes a while but is VERY interesting and worth the time. I suggest everyone try to watch some or all of them. And most important... pass it on.

Posted by: Holley at January 17, 2008 7:10 PM